Talk

Advanced search

Best 2nd stage / delivery position to avoid tearing?

(5 Posts)
earlycomputers Mon 17-Aug-09 19:27:27

I would be interested to know what the best position to be in during the second stage of labour to assist with preventing any tearing - anyone know? I have had conflicting opinions on whether squatting is the best or lying down on one side with uppermost leg raised.

What would also be the best position to actually see the baby come out the earliest (lying back with knees bent?).
I would like to have a second stage where I have more chance of seeing the baby come out and more importantly - have less chance of tearing.
thanks in advance!

magnummum Mon 17-Aug-09 20:36:24

can only speak from personal experience but delivered dd1 and twins flat on my back (which all the info says is worst position) with no pain relief and no tearing! Got to see them all come out though not sure when especially with the twins as the whole thing took 2 1/2 hours from waters breaking to delivery. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. smile

slushy06 Tue 18-Aug-09 09:19:23

I can only speak from personal experience to but I delivered both my children one of which was posterior without a tear by sitting up but leaning back and both times I flopped my legs like you do in a smear test and I saw them both arrive. Good luck hope it all goes well for you.

dcgc Tue 18-Aug-09 09:47:28

Don't know if it's your first or not, but in my own (very limited - only one baby - experience)! you just do whatever feels comfortable and whatever helps to get the little one out! I remember reading all the books and trying to work out the best positions etc and it all happened so quickly and was such a shock I forgot all of it! Good luck

Kyte Tue 18-Aug-09 15:36:54

I've looked into this (because I wanted to avoid tearing again) and have talked about it with the midwife, consultant and my mum (ex midwife) and all agree that the best positions are those that slow down the crowning etc and put less pressure on the perineum.

They advised the following:

* On the side with the upper leg raised and supported
* Water birth (helps keep the perineum supple)

And I was advised to avoid standing or squatting at the pushing stage because it speeds things up.

Unfortunately because of my previous pretty horrific tear and other complications, I've been advised not to risk it and to have a cs.

Best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now