Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about after pains of labour

(16 Posts)
usernametaken Mon 17-Aug-09 12:21:54

I've just had a 'kindly' note from a friend warning me of the after pains I'll get with this baby hmm.

When DD was born 4 yrs ago I didn't seem to have any after pains at all. My 'friend' says that with susequent births, the after pains get worse.

What have been your experiences? Many thanks.

CybilLiberty Mon 17-Aug-09 12:22:45

Oh dear. My pains with my third were worse than anything. Sorry, I know you probably didn't want to hear that. Mercifully they lasted no more than a few days.

usernametaken Mon 17-Aug-09 12:40:14

A few days!!!!

I was expecting an hour or two...oh how naive I am!

Time to buy a huge supply of paracetamol!

Olive11 Tue 18-Aug-09 09:24:32

I never had any afterpains with my 1st or 2nd but really bad ones with my 3rd. Not sure why but I understand this is quite common. If this is your 2nd then hopefully you will be fine.

theyoungvisiter Tue 18-Aug-09 09:33:51

I didn't have any to speak of with DS1 and with DS2 I had period-like cramps for a few days whenever I breastfed.

Nothing major though - just the odd crampy twinge when DS2 latched on - certainly not enough to warrant taking painkillers.

I think it varies a lot from woman to woman, and the fact that you didn't get any first time round probably stands you in good stead.

beautifulgirls Tue 18-Aug-09 13:50:39

Yep, came as a huge shock to me - nothing of notice with DD#1, but bad afterpains with DD#2 that made me pretty faint and unwell at one point - staff running about checking my BP etc. Definately recommend making sure you ask for painkillers to be available and stock up at home for after you leave hospital. I think in hindsight though the fact I hadn't expected it made it worse for me. With #3 due shortly I am not looking forwards to the afterpains, but prepared for it better I think (hope?!!)

neolara Tue 18-Aug-09 13:51:32

I didn't have any with dc1, but quite a lot of afterpain with dc2. It was quite sore but mainly when I breast fed. Am about to give birth again any day and had forgotten about afterpains until reading this thread. Another great joy to look forward to!

kidcreoleandthecoconuts Tue 18-Aug-09 13:54:42

I had no after pains with DC1. But with DC2 they were terrible. Like really bad period pains spreading from my stomach down my thighs. Just what you want when your nipples feel like they're going to fall off every time DD tries to latch on! They only last a couple of days though.

juuule Tue 18-Aug-09 13:55:06

I think it must vary a lot from woman to woman. I had strong afterpains every feed for about 2 days with the second of my 9 children but nothing much after the first couple of feeds with the rest. It didn't get worse with each one. I did drink raspberry leaf tea so I think that helps(possibly). Bf-ing also helps the womb contract down so maybe gets it over and done with quicker.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 18-Aug-09 13:57:32

Don't really remember after pains with DS, so can't have been that bad. With DD they were definitely more noticeable, for me the felt a little like early contractions and made me feel a little queasy (but this is how I feel in labour). They were when I breastfed in the first couple of days, paracetamol took the edge off, as well as a few deep breaths.

Sounds like your 'friend' is one of those who likes to glory in the terrible-ness a bit...

Mammina Tue 18-Aug-09 15:18:57

DD1 not really that strong
DD2 quite painful when feeding but they only last a few days and only took a few paracetamol. Nothing compared to labour grin

usernametaken Tue 18-Aug-09 21:56:56

Thank you all, I feel more prepared now. A truck load of paractamol will be delivered tomorrow grin.
Seriously, thank you for your replies, at least I know what to expect.

HaggisNeepsnTatties Tue 18-Aug-09 21:58:47

Had 2 babies. No after pains with either of them....but I did take pleny of painkillers just in case....and of course the odd glass of wine helps! grin

Beauregard Tue 18-Aug-09 22:00:37

With dd1 i had very slight afterpains.
With dd2 they took my breath away sometimes as they were so strong.On the plus side though,my tummy was back in place (albeit wobbly) in 3 days.My midwife told me to combine paracetamol with Ibupropen.

PrettyCandles Tue 18-Aug-09 22:00:43

I had no afterpains with myf irst baby, but did with the rest. I found that they got more uncomfortable with each child. Certainlly never painful - more like a very intense and unpleasant sensation. Nothing whatsoever like a contraction.

CarGirl Tue 18-Aug-09 22:06:03

Had nothing with dd1, then I was in absolute agony with dd2 however she was 3lbs heavier and the mw didn't let me go to the toilet for a wee until 4 hours after I'd given birth hmm I was in absolute agony at some points with them up to a couple of weeks after having her.

anyway with dd3 and dd4 (only a little smaller) I was discharged with voltoral as I demanded and although I took a few they weren't as bad at all.

So it's def one of those unpredictable things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now