Talk

Advanced search

Cord ties

(7 Posts)
Picante Sun 16-Aug-09 16:07:06

Just been watching this.

Anyone done this? It looks like a great idea - how do the midwives feel about you using something a bit hippyish else?

PlumBumMum Sun 16-Aug-09 16:12:15

My first 2 dcs had elastic bands,
it was only when I had dc3 (3 in Nov) that I ever seen one of the hard plastic clamps, thought it was abit annoying at the time

lou4791 Mon 17-Aug-09 12:37:08

I think making your own cord ties is a lovely idea. The majority of midwives would likely think it unusual and hippyish, but I don't think that matters too much. I think i'll give it a go.

Lou x

reikizen Mon 17-Aug-09 12:46:37

The video won't work for me, how annoying! Without actually seeing what they are the only things I would think are how easy are they to get on a slippy, wet baby (which won't matter so much if you are having a physiological third stage)and are they sterile (infection in the cord can be quite serious). Also, be aware that if baby needs to be taken to be resussitated quickly they will just bung on a clamp and go. I think most midwives will think you very strange but I don't see that as a reason not to do it! You may even get staff coming in and asking for a nosy as I have never seen one!

reikizen Mon 17-Aug-09 12:52:14

Seen it now, it's like a friendship band isn't it? Looks lovely but be aware that if you are having active management of the third stage they would have to put a clamp on but then could replace it with a cord later (ditto if baby has to be resussitated).

Olissa Mon 17-Aug-09 14:46:59

I didn't make anything but DS had his cord tied rather than clamped (I think with some sort of suture silk!) DH has a form of epidermolysis bullosa, which has a 50% chance of being passed to our babies, and we were advised that tying was less likely to cause skin damage if baby did have EB.

The only problem we had with it is that the MW had to call someone else in as she wasn't sure how to do it. But no problems asking for it at all.

DD did need resus and had a clamp. But that was fine as it turns out DS has EB and DD didn't!

Maybe I should make some for my DC3 due in Jan...

Picante Wed 19-Aug-09 07:40:53

Well I'm getting some embroidery thread today. Even if I don't get round to using them it will keep my mind off being 40+1 weeks!!

I'm hopefully going for a natural third stage which should give the mws time to get their heads round the idea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now