Talk

Advanced search

Delay between show, start of contractions, waters breaking ?

(17 Posts)
Mimile Sun 16-Aug-09 14:52:35

Hello!
First baby due in 9 days and still at work, a little worried that all hell may break loose while in a meeting.
[don't get me wrong - I'm still there by choice and rather enjoying it - BUT the prospect of going into labour there isn't too appealing!]
I know not everyone gets a show, nor do water always break early on in labour, but I was wondering whether you could give me some idea of the way things went for you time-wise, re show, start of contractions, waters breaking etc to delivery.

slushy06 Sun 16-Aug-09 15:13:37

ds Waters broke 1 am
cc started every 5 mins at 1.05
my ds wasn't born till 12.30 the following night
I wouldn't worry about that I was in labor 23/12 hours and had plenty of notice. First babies usually take their time sadly.

dd irregular cc started during the night at about 3 am I think. Started losing plug the next morning cc didn't get regular till 4pm dd born at 1.46 am. So I still had plenty of warning.
You get plenty of notice IME.

ruddynorah Sun 16-Aug-09 15:18:57

all 3 happened together for me, so it went 'pop' 'gush' 'ouch' in one. 27 hours of contractions, later dd was born.

daisydora Sun 16-Aug-09 15:19:53

DD Had a show about 11am, waters broke fully about 8pm that evening and I started contracting immediately. DD was undiagnosed breech so not labour as had EMCS.

DS exactly the same order; show, waters then immediate contractions.

mosschops30 Sun 16-Aug-09 15:24:35

dd - contractions started, show a few hours later, waters never broke, they were broken

ds - was induced, again waters never broke, they were broken just before delivery

duchesse Sun 16-Aug-09 15:34:19

Never had a show until labour, all three started with waters breaking (spectacularly, during a concert in a church with child 1, but you don't want to hear that- it is very unusual to start like that apparently), followed by labours of 38, 21 and 4.5 hours respectively. Am really hoping for a standard labour this time, but looking increasingly unlikely as no show yet at 39+6...

jollyjoanne Sun 16-Aug-09 15:46:03

Period type pains from mid afternoon, waters broke at about 10pm, full blown contractions started, show at about 11pm, hospital at 1am, fully dilated but baby stuck so pulled out with forceps at about 4am. First baby, if she hadn't of been stuck could easily have been here within a few hours.

Mimile Sun 16-Aug-09 15:50:46

That's great to hear how everyone has had a different experience! [it helps to put things in perspective]
I guess my main issue is that I am still in denial, and that being at work keeps me from coming to term that it will happen within the next 25 days... shock!!

SmallScrewCap Sun 16-Aug-09 15:57:07

I had my show after an internal on Wednesday last week. It was quite watery, with a question mark over whether waters were going slowly (apparently it doesn't always come all at once...) Had a false start at labour on Thursday and just niggles since then.

I've now decided to forget all about having this baby any time soon and am continuing with life as normal (well as far as possible, anyway!)

Boobz Mon 17-Aug-09 12:21:58

Show at 11am Weds
Contractions started 4pm Weds
Waters went 11pm Saturday night
DD born 6am Sunday morning.

Mimile Tue 18-Aug-09 17:14:36

Boobz: 3+ days of contractions!!?? shock
oh dear...

Boobz Tue 18-Aug-09 20:29:33

I was a tad tired by the end of it, must admit.

But she was worth it, absolutely.

And I'm sure I'm in the minority -- I had chosen to have a homebirth, so I "kept going" without any interventions to speed things up (breaking waters, drip, pain relief etc), so it was my own bloody fault.

Wouldn't have had it any other way though, in the end, as I had a lovely homebirth and was cuddled up with DD and DH in our own bed half an hour after she popped out.

Oh it's making me feel all warm and fuzzy. Almost makes me forget the 4 days of contractions.... (almost wink)

Ineedsomesleep Tue 18-Aug-09 20:35:15

DS no show. Started with small contraction at 3 am but small enough to get some sleep. Contractions started getting stronger at 8 am. Got to hospital at 10ish. Had him at 6.40 pm. MW broke the waters at sometime in the afternoon.

DD no show again. Had first contraction at 11pm. Was so strong that I was convinced I was having the baby there and then. Second contraction almost straight away and was even stronger.

Contractions then eased off enough for me to get to hospital. DD was born at 2.45 am in her waters.

Boobz Tue 18-Aug-09 20:41:23

<jealous of Ineedsomesleep's speedy labours emoticon>

Ineedsomesleep Tue 18-Aug-09 20:44:09

Sorry Boobz. It really p'd me off when people said, "didn't you do well!". As if women who labour for longer are doing something wrong.

I think it is totally the luck of the draw. You can read up on painkillers and side effects so that you have a little control, but at the end of the day you are at the mercy of your body and the MW.

Mumcentreplus Tue 18-Aug-09 21:09:06

Each birth is different..DD1 Sex..sleep..waters..contractions..pain relief after asking for drugs (midwives laughing) grin10hrs later baby...DD2 waters broke..no contractions at first..admitted..no real pain at first ..48 hrs later (ordered pizza that everyone else ate) angry ..29mins later DD2 smile ...just relax (as much as you can)..go with the flow..listen to your body

tostaky Thu 20-Aug-09 05:46:30

My waters broke on tuesday and i got my baby on thursday.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now