Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Please help me with questions for my gynae re.birth options.

(7 Posts)
timmette Fri 14-Aug-09 19:28:03

I am hoping some more experienced mumsnetters can help me.
I see my gynaecologist on Monday will be 20 weeks then, and she mentioned at the last appointment we would have a chat about bitrh options then. I had a csections with ds because he was unstable transverse lie and never head down.
My gynae has suggested she is happy with either another section or vbac - but how do I decide and what should I be asking her - my brain is not working. I should mention I am not in the UK but in Belgium and I think births here are a lot more medicalised. I am 50 50 between vbac and section.
So my questions so far are,

1)Will I have 2 scars with 2 sections?
2) Will they let me go past due date with vbac, do they induce with vbac?

And now I am stuck --- so embarassing - does anyone have any hints, tips, questions and advice, would be really appreciated.

timmette Sat 15-Aug-09 07:04:11

anyone smile

CarmenSanDiego Sat 15-Aug-09 07:45:36

There's some great information here which might inspire some questions. Asking about monitoring (do they insist on continuous monitoring? Can you stay mobile and have an active labour?) is probably important.

I think in answer to your first question, they'd usually cut along your existing scar so there'd be no external difference. But a caesarean cuts through several layers, so the internal scarring may be different from your original scars. I could be wrong on that though.

They shouldn't induce you for a vbac unless there is strong medical need. The more induction drugs they use, the higher chance of uterine rupture (as well as other interventions), so it might be better to avoid these if possible.

timmette Sat 15-Aug-09 09:00:45

Oh that's great thanks I am pretty sure they will do continual monitoring and that I will be stuck in a bed - hmm not really what I wanted but definately points to raise with her on Mon. That's a great link will come up with some more questions. I thinks she said they would not induce with a previous c section but also they would not let me go over due date - which I think means a c section regardless. Thanks

CarmenSanDiego Sat 15-Aug-09 14:02:42

A really helpful acronym to remember which has come up here a few times is 'BRAIN'

If interventions are being recommended and you're not sure, you can ask:

What are the /Benefits/ of this procedure?
What are the /Risks/?
Are there any /Alternative/ courses of action?
What is my own /Intuition/?
Does this have to happen /Now/? What if we wait?

Personally, I would be very sure there is medical need for them to induce or demand a second C Section if you decide you want a VBAC. They can't force one on you

timmette Sun 16-Aug-09 08:37:42

Thanks for the help Carmen I have a whole list of questions for tomorrow - I'm sure she'll love me .

CarmenSanDiego Sun 16-Aug-09 09:38:24

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: