Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Interesting home birth article in The Guardian

(7 Posts)
Caitni Fri 14-Aug-09 15:16:42

See here.

Also interesting to read the comments readers have posted...

longwayaway Fri 14-Aug-09 16:21:53

I love the Guardian but I have to admit I can't stand the commenters... nice to see them covering homebirths, anyway!

AnnieLobeseder Fri 14-Aug-09 16:31:35

A nice, fair article for a change. But like longway said, the comments are just so depressing. Sad how there's such an overall negative opinion of homebirth in the UK (or Guardian readers, anyway!)

Caitni Fri 14-Aug-09 16:56:37

I agree about the commenters but I guess with anything those likely to comment are those with bad experiences (bit like how you're more likely to hear someone moan about a restaurant than say what a good time they had). When I read it at least some of the commenters were trying to correct the view that all births end in ECS etc.

But it would be great if any Mumsnetters with home birth experiences posted to balance the scales! I would but as I'm only nearly 12 weeks with my first I don't feel "qualified", other than a home birth being my top choice for the birth...

KittyTN Fri 14-Aug-09 17:27:16

I thought it was interesting that the most negative comments came from men and were very anecdotal. Who in their right mind would take any serious decision based on one couples experience? The commenter proposing that women chosing home births should reimburse the NHS in case of hospital transfer seemed very keen on his idea. Would he like to charge NHS patients a supplement if they happen to smoke or be obese or not exercise for a certain amount of time each week? I have never smoked and have a perfect BMI!!!

l39 Fri 14-Aug-09 18:44:33

The commentator 'Princessgracht' presents a terrifying picture;

"Either way for the first 8 days after the birth, like all mothers giving birth in Holland, I'll be attended by a Kramzorg who'll come to our home for 8 hours a day, every day."

Please tell me they get the option to refuse! A stranger in your house, watching you and your new baby, for 8 consecutive hours, on each of 8 days! Wouldn't you get more privacy in prison?

(Is hugely glad not to be in Holland)

pebblebeach Fri 14-Aug-09 19:16:54

Hi L39 - I might be wrong but I was under the impression that in Holland this person is there to help with whatever you want.... breastfeeding and newborn care, but also older child care, cleaning, cooking, ironing, etc.... which actually sounds quite nice. I do agree that it would be nice to have a choice though, maybe someone who knows more will come along soon...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now