Talk

Advanced search

If you tested positive for Group B Strep last time

(12 Posts)
Tamlin Wed 12-Aug-09 17:54:31

what are the odds that you'll test positive again? Anyone know? Apparently at DS's birth, they found I was positive but that was two years ago.

castille Wed 12-Aug-09 17:57:25

If you had treatment for it (antibiotics) there's no reason you should still have it.

notevenamousie Wed 12-Aug-09 17:58:58

They should swab you at 36 weeks.

Up to 1 in 5 women carry it.

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Wed 12-Aug-09 18:00:12

i was positive with ds1 and positive again with ds2.
apparently being treated with anti b's doesn't mean it won't come back.

both babies were fine by the way-as was i. i had oral anti b's the first time and then ive ones the second.

As far as I'm aware there is no increased risk of you having it this pregnancy. So your odds of having it are the same as for anyone else.

Picante Fri 14-Aug-09 13:09:56

castille sorry but that's false information. GBS can come back within a matter of days of taking the anti-b's - it doesn't remove it completely.

If you were positive last time you will probably be positive this time - I am, and I had ds 3 years ago.

How many weeks are you? Do a private test then there are things you can do to try to get rid of it. I'll give you links if you like. Unfortunately nothing worked for me so my homebirth plan is out the window and I'll be going in for abs again.

castille Fri 14-Aug-09 13:22:34

blush sorry, didn't mean to mislead

I had it, took the ABs and was told that they would get rid of it, which they did. But that apparently isn't the case for everyone.

Apologies.

Yorky Fri 14-Aug-09 13:41:17

GBS was found in my urine early with DD and my MW initial response was that I couldn't have HB like I did with DS, it would have to be hospital and IVABx and continual monitoring and no pool - I left in floods of tears
Rang the local MLU and spoke to a lovely midwife who said I was welcome to go there instead of hospital, GBS wasn't a reason for them to exclude me, but they wouldn't administer IVABx so I might as well stay at home. I found a line on the NHS choices website which said that if you have had one confirmed GBS+ pg then they don't recommend IVABx for subsequent deliveries so I clung to the fact that I was probably GBS+ with DS and just blissfully ignorant
I had my home birth - she was quick, wouldn't have made it to hospital anyway and definitely no time for ABx and she is fine

maxbear Fri 14-Aug-09 20:10:31

I was gbs positive with my first baby but still had a normal waterbirth without any antibiotics (would have had them at the first sign of problems though).

With my second as the pregnancy was progressing normally I did not even think about it and was not tested for it. I had a lovely homebirth and ds was fine. Am pregnant again and will do the same if everything is ok.

I personally think that all women who have risk factors should be treated as it is impossible to tell exactly who has it at the time of birth, it is a transient infection, you could have it one week and not the next and vice versa, this means that lots of women are treated unnecessarily, and some women who should be treated are not.

In my local hospital the policy is to offer a test if you have been previously positive, but only to strongly recommend it if there are other reasons such as a previously affected baby or previous pre term labour.

Tamlin Sat 15-Aug-09 11:37:27

They're going to test me at 36 weeks. I'm really not keen on the idea of antibiotics administered during labour (am needle-phobic, for starters, and HATE IVs) so I'm hoping very much that I come up clear this time.

Yorky Sat 15-Aug-09 15:51:46

The ABx are a choice, you do not have to have them. I was pleasantly surprised how supportive MWs were when I didn't want them

Yorky Sat 15-Aug-09 16:04:29

"If you carried GBS during a previous pregnancy and your baby did not develop a GBS infection, treatment during labour is not recommended."
from
this NHS page

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now