Talk

Advanced search

What did you try to get labour started? And did anything work?!

(24 Posts)
Picante Wed 12-Aug-09 16:31:42

Let's put some of those old wives tales to rest shall we?

Although having said that, sex worked for me... within 2 hours I started contractions.

Anything actually work for you?

IWroteOffLightningMcQueen Wed 12-Aug-09 16:38:46

Being induced worked very well for me. All three times

And believe me, I tried everything, especially with DS2, even a DIY sweep, well DH did the sweep under the watchful eye of Lulu (and nearly the whole of MN )

Tamarto Wed 12-Aug-09 16:43:13

I went for a long walk with DS1 went into labour that night.

I had 1 sweep with DS2 and went into labour that night.

I went for a million walks with DD never worked.
Had at least 7 sweeps, none worked.
Ate chilli by the bucketful (I bought the ready cut stuff in a tube and ate it with ever meal. grin)didn't work
A bottle of castor oil. blush did nothing.
Pineapple, did nothing.
Sex, did nothing.

I think anything will work if you are ready.

belindarose Wed 12-Aug-09 17:00:38

My midwife has just told me 'lots' of sex and pineapple. I'm half way through a pineapple now. Declined the sweep (40 weeks today) but think I may as well try a few of these methods. She said pineapple and curry do the same thing i.e. stimulate the bowel, but pineapple is more gentle. I really think baby will just come when she's ready, which is why I didn't have the sweep, but would like to avoid induction so am happy to 'gently encourage' things for the next couple of weeks.

slushy06 Wed 12-Aug-09 17:59:59

Ds I went two weeks early so didn't try anything. However on dd I went 2 weeks over I tried pineapple, Sex, walking, Birth ball, Essential oils.

I had a sweep felt crampy for two days while losing plug and went in two labor then 2 days before induction.

juuule Wed 12-Aug-09 18:05:35

Tried everything bar castor oil.
Nothing worked.
2 inductions.

mousemole Wed 12-Aug-09 18:09:01

castor oil did work for me, but was hideous so wouldn't recommend.
For second pregnancy went to the park, went on the see saw vigorously and the zip wire and went into labour that night ( 2 weeks early).

SheWillBeLoved Wed 12-Aug-09 18:33:52

Tried everything besides Castor Oil. More than once for each thing... nothing worked, and I was induced at term + 11 due to no fluid left around the baby.

Sn0wflake Thu 13-Aug-09 11:50:24

You know I do wonder about the number of inductions of overdue birth compared to the rates of complications. Anybody have stats for the number of complications for very overdue births? Surely people have done studies in 3rd world countries where you would just go into labour when you went into labour.

BTW not saying that people shouldn't be induced but I am really intrigued by the facts an figures.

duchesse Thu 13-Aug-09 12:02:54

Snowflake- I am inclined to agree. It does alarm me how easily the medics are ready to offer induction at 37 or 38 weeks. Some babies could be anything up to 6 weeks early for them with this treatment. They are pretty much guaranteed to be saved at this stage, but they would be missing out on vital weeks of development crucially of the brain and potentially of other major organs as well. Also, induction early carries with it a raft of risks of complication for mother and baby.

I think it should only be used in cases that are medically justified and not used will nilly. I'm not saying that people are being induced for social reasons, but that hoiking the kiddo out early seems a lot easier for the medics than ongoing monitoring of situations that are only potentially hazardous such as positioning problems.

artifarti Thu 13-Aug-09 12:09:32

DS went over 42 weeks. Tried everything (except castor oil) again and again, including sweeps. Nothing worked.

Was induced. That didn't work either.

In the end a big sharp surgeon's knife worked. grin

Northernlurker Thu 13-Aug-09 12:18:54

Sex worked well for me twice.

Klaw Thu 13-Aug-09 12:25:54

Waiting is always a good bet!

MamaMimi Sat 15-Aug-09 23:58:33

Vigorous hoovering (but having to shuffle round on my behind to do it) the day before and sex in the morning possibly set my labour off that evening.

It was 3 weeks early so I wasn't expecting anything to happen so I do wonder whether these things played a role.

maryz Sun 16-Aug-09 00:10:44

To answer your question - everything, and no!

Sex, walks, curries, olive oil (yuck), trampoline, sweeps (plural).

Same as artifarti, eventially inducation at 15 days overdue, and CS 2 days later. I think he'd still be there otherwise. In fact he would be due to misshapen scull, but that's another story.

Induction is not the worst thing that can happen.

Bubbaloo Sun 16-Aug-09 00:18:20

Bouncing (virtually all day) on a gym ball,did the trick for megrin.

Mumcentreplus Sun 16-Aug-09 00:32:24

Sex worked for me..couple of hours after a good orgasm..we were on our way to the hospital

Bubba you hope you were'nt that really annoying lady rolling on a gym ball on the ward! grin

Bubbaloo Sun 16-Aug-09 00:42:33

I was sat infront of my pc...bouncinggrin.

Mumcentreplus Sun 16-Aug-09 00:57:36

Ok..thats fine..no one had to suffer grin

FuckOffDailyMail Wed 19-Aug-09 18:10:35

Castor oil worked twice for me. Wasn't too bad (except for swallowing it in the first place - bleurgh!)

pippa251 Sat 22-Aug-09 16:20:58

sweep, sex over birthing ball, running and jumping in the swimming pool then a long walk- all on the same night- wouldn't adise it though as i woke at 130am for a big poo- then contractions came at 3am 3 mins apart delivered at 8am- it all went a little too quick for me- as bizarre as it sounds

loganberry12 Sat 22-Aug-09 16:34:24

congratulations pippa wonderful news enjoy your baby x p.s how on earth did you manage sex over the birthing ball lol?

MustHaveaVeryShortMemory Sat 22-Aug-09 20:02:08

Tried everything - repeatedly, in different positions, nothing worked.

BeingMother Sun 23-Aug-09 22:09:55

Sex did not work for me, neither did spicy foods or pineapple.

I had acupuncture and a sweep at 40+10 and that did the trick (though not sure which actually or if it was a combination of both). Went into labour that evening, although bub was not ready to come out yet. 30 hours later I ended up with a c-section (a far cry from a home waterbirth we had hoped for!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now