Talk

Advanced search

What do waters smell like and sound like?

(9 Posts)
GentlyDoesIt Wed 12-Aug-09 16:04:38

Tasty TMI question of the day...

Nearly ready to pop and I've been leaking a bit of bloody fluid that smells a bit like very weak washing up liquid. I have people keeping an eagle eye on me and baby at the moment, so I am in good hands, but I'd like to hear from other mums on the subject of smell! No contractions and no big gush.

Also, my tummy has been making a sound like a creaking pirate ship here and there. Is this my uterus shaping up, or have I just got the runs to look forward to?!!!!

Owlingate Wed 12-Aug-09 16:25:35

Might be. Mine smelt like v mild ammonia / bleach / (really grim sorry) almost like sperm. HTH. But mine came out in big gushes both times. Presume you've had an internal / swabs?

GentlyDoesIt Wed 12-Aug-09 16:28:45

Thank you Owlingate, yes have had an internal and they told me that this was quite normal but now that I'm home have passed a couple of snotty lumps.

Had a miscarriage a while back which was very similarly lumpy, so am trying hard to separate the 2 in my mind...

GentlyDoesIt Wed 12-Aug-09 16:29:12

this is probably the bloody show, I suppose!

Owlingate Wed 12-Aug-09 16:35:19

Yes it could well be your plug coming away, I didn't realise what mine was until my waters broke about 4/5 days later and I realised I'd already lost the plug. It was definitely like a big lump of snot! Why does everything to do with childbirth have to be so crusty.

Sorry to hear about your MC. Once you've had one its really hard to be calm about anything to do with bleeding and pg isn't it. Hopefully not long to go until you meet your new baby anyway.

PinkTulips Wed 12-Aug-09 16:36:26

mine smelt like new baby... if you have kids already that will make sense, otherwise not so much wink

agree with owlingate, there's a definite similarity to spunk smell too shock

It's sweet and warm smelling, with a sort of sharp edge.

no idea about sound... mine were broken in hospital twice and broke about 2 contractions before ds2 was born on the third occasion so i didn't hear anything but i did feel a very distinct realease of pressure/popping sensation each time.

weegiemum Wed 12-Aug-09 16:38:50

Don't know about the smell.

But with dd2 when mine went in the last couple of minutes of labour there was a very audible 'POP' and they broke with such force that the posh junior doc who was observing got a faceful (she was checking if the head was crowning!).

Had them broken with dd1, and didn't hear anything with ds, but it felt like a balloon popped inside me!

IWroteOffLightningMcQueen Wed 12-Aug-09 16:45:22

DS1, have no idea when they popped, or if it was ARM, don't remember at all.

DS2, had headphones on listening to telly in hospital at night, so didn't hear a pop, but bloody felt it, and then gushy gushy gushy waters, and then more gushy gushy gushy water after he was born.

DS3, felt pop again, didn't hear anything, slight dribble of waters (MW didn't believe me that I'd felt them go until I'd been on the bed for five minutes and she then decided that actually there was a small patch of fluid under me), that was it, no more water at all.

They can be quite sweet smelling, like liquor. Also a whiff of sperm. Pretty yuk really!

GentlyDoesIt Wed 12-Aug-09 16:47:30

hmm I think that confirms it then!

Thanks all, will pester my poor midwife AGAIN!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now