Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had a c-section recently?

(23 Posts)
lazylion Mon 10-Aug-09 15:16:01

I'm due to have a c-section in 3 weeks, my last one was 3 years ago and things seem to have changed. There has been mention of swabs (presumably for MRSA) and a hair/body wash you have to use sometime before and after the operation. Anyone know anything about these?
Also, last time I was in for 2 nights afterwards - has this changed? My hospital seems to be running on skeleton staff at the moment - has anyone been sent home early because of this? Thanks.

meep Mon 10-Aug-09 15:23:01

I had one 4 months agao - no swabs, no body wash! Was in for 4 nights but could have left earlier if I'd wanted to - think the norm is about 3 nights.

Pawsandclaws Mon 10-Aug-09 15:39:42

Mine was earlier this year - also no swabs or body wash!! Maybe it's very recent procedure to do with swine flu? <clasps at straws>

I think the norm is 3 days in although if you are feeling fit a lot of places seem to let you go after 2 days in.

Meglet Mon 10-Aug-09 15:44:28

I had one last Autumn and had a hysterecomy 3 weeks ago (so similar op). Both times I was swabbed for MRSA and CDIFF (cotton bud up the nose thing). But never had a body wash. Both my c-section stays have been 3 nights.

suwoo Mon 10-Aug-09 15:51:51

Mine was 10 days ago. Yes to swabs for MRSA, nasal and perineum.

No to bodywash. I had a new type of padded sticky dressing on the wound which I didn't have last time, but it really protected it and it has healed well.

I had DS at 16.13 on the Thursday and came out similar time on the Sunday.

HTH

WinomoreTheFruitbat Mon 10-Aug-09 15:59:06

Mine was 4.5 months ago.
Yes to MRSA swabs, nasal and groin

No bodywash, hmm

I stayed in for 2 nights which was the same as my 1st section 4 years ago - different hospitals too.

However, my friend has just had a section and was in for 3 nights, it depends on hospital policy

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 10-Aug-09 16:01:17

Had one 6 weeks ago.

They did a swab up my nose for MRSA a few days before - just a cotton bud dabbing around the entrance to the nostril so nothing to get excited about.

No special body wash or anything though.

Our hosp likes to discharge you after 48 hours if all OK.

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 10-Aug-09 16:02:24

Oh yes that's right I had to wipe a cotton bud in groin (top of inside thigh) as well.

lucasnorth Mon 10-Aug-09 16:04:12

Same here - had nasal and perineal swabs (about a week before), but no body wash.

Make sure you get your partner to shave you around the incision site before you go in though. Otherwise the midwife will do it for you with a dry disposable razor...

lazylion Mon 10-Aug-09 18:02:07

Those of you who had perineal swabs - did you do it yourself or did the mw do it (urgh)?
The body wash at my hospital is also a shampoo, and you have to use it for a few days before. My hair will look like shredded wheat on the birth photos.
Did you all have single rooms or wards?

WinomoreTheFruitbat Mon 10-Aug-09 18:18:47

I had a ward but at Kingston you get a single room

suwoo Mon 10-Aug-09 18:39:56

I had a single room. The mw did my swab, I posted a thread about it as I was most peturbed. I certainly wasn't expecting it at my 36 week appointment shock

Fanfare Mon 10-Aug-09 21:15:18

I had a c-section three weeks ago. I had swabs taken (given cotton bud type things and did them myself), and although there was no sign of MRSA I had to use an odorless bodywash for two weeks before and 10 days after the op. Also, was told not to shave the area of incision before going in as it is done in theatre at the time of the op as it's been found to reduce risk of infection. I was out in 24 hours, apparently now standard at my hospital (Essex) unless there are complications or you specifically want to stay in longer. My hospital's policy is that c-section patients must be on a ward, not a single room, as you need a closer eye kept on you. Hope that helps, though as you you can see from the answers it all varies massively from hospital to hospital.

LovelyTinOfSpam Mon 10-Aug-09 21:57:12

I was on a ward. But that's OK as I prefer being on a ward [lunatic emoticon]

Phoenix Mon 10-Aug-09 22:17:12

Mine was 4wks ago.

Yes to swabs, nose and groin.

No to bodywash.

I came home after 3 days. Didn't have to wait for a doctor to discharge us like i did when i had a c-section 3.5yr ago though, the mw said hospital policy is for mw's to discharge after 3days if all is ok.

Phoenix Mon 10-Aug-09 22:19:38

I had a single room this time and last time.

I did the swabs myself about a week before i went in for my section.

BikeRunSki Mon 10-Aug-09 22:27:17

Can't remember about swabs, it was a very quick emergency section. Was kept in 4 nights - policy. Policy was for a single room, although none were available at the time. Barnsley Hospital.

Phoenix Mon 10-Aug-09 23:01:58

oooh i'm in Barnsley too and at Barnsley hospital

dottyaboutstripes Tue 11-Aug-09 08:40:50

I had mine 10 weeks ago.

Had a nasal swab.

Was in for 2 nights

They wouldn't allow me to have a single room! But luckily for me, I was in the "c-section" ward which was empty apart from me!

Good luck for your section

lazylion Tue 11-Aug-09 11:01:48

Thanks all of you. I can't believe it is all so different, particularly the length of time you spend in hospital.
LoveyTinofSpam you are either mad or maybe you live somewhere where everyone is really nice. Last time I was on a ward one of the 'fathers' was threatening to stab the nurses.
Fanfare 24 hours sounds good. I'm not Essex but policy sounds similar. Fingers crossed.
Suwoo, thanks I will prepare myself for midwife invasion of groin, just in case.
I hope you are all recovering well.

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 11-Aug-09 11:04:56

Lazy you could always ask thenm about rooms vs ward and their policy on how long you have to stay in? [stating the obvious grin]

lazylion Tue 11-Aug-09 11:20:45

LovelyTinOfSpam - I tried, but you only get to see a midwife who knows current policy the week before C-section. I hate surprises!

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 11-Aug-09 12:13:04

Oh well was worth a try grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now