Talk

Advanced search

induction at 36 weeks

(14 Posts)
monkeyfeet Sat 08-Aug-09 19:33:18

hello

I have been transferred to a specialist womens hospital from my regional hopsital at my request. At the regional hopspital I was having a planned cs at 36 weeks but the specialist hospital will induce me at 36 weeks for natural birth instead. I was so pleased they agreed to transfer me I didn't/forgot to ask why induction not cs and now it is really playing on my mind and wondered if anyone had any ideas to help put my mind at rest, till I see my consultant on monday.

I have a TRAP pregnancy which has caused all sorts of complications though things seem to be going ok now I am still so worried and after having been told cs was better because it could be controlled I am getting worried I made the wrong choice and should just have stuck with the regional hospital. Maybe its the capacity at the womens hospital which means they don't have enough surgical staff or otherwise if i could have a Vbirth why was this not an option at regional hopsital, I am going crazy.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

blinder Sat 08-Aug-09 20:01:56

No informed advice for you other than - I believe induction is much more problematic if the body is not already ready to give birth and 36 weeks seems much too early for that.

And, get them to explain exactly why they think a vaginal birth is a better option than the CS. You do have a say in all this. They are supposed to get your consent for any intervention I think.

Can you go back to the regional hospital if you dont like their answer?

mears Sat 08-Aug-09 20:03:11

What is a TRAP pregnancy?

monkeyfeet Sat 08-Aug-09 20:38:35

thanks for your replies

thats what i was thinking about v birth, i will go back to regional if i dont get the answer that it is best for my baby. am so mixed up.

trap is twin reverse arterial perfusion where one baby (acardiac twin) has no heart and the other baby (pump twin ) pumps blood for the two. It carries many complications and after all the pump baby has been through i just want it out safely

blinder Sat 08-Aug-09 20:49:13

oh you poor thing - it sounds like you have really been through the mill with that already. I have to say, just as a pregnant mum (NO medical qualifications whatsoever), I would ask for a CS in that situation, unless there was a bloody good reason not to.

This may sound like a stupid question (because it IS) but, if the babies are joined arterially, how CAN they be born vaginally? And aren't there enough physical demands on the pump baby already? Sounds crazy complicated to me.

Wishing you all the best luck possible for an easy birth. Trust your instincts!

monkeyfeet Sat 08-Aug-09 21:17:05

thanks for your reply blinder

i had an operation at 19 weeks to separate the blood flow between the babies essentially ending the life of the acardiac twin which was not a viable baby in any way. But there are still connections between them and the very slight possibility of recanalisation of the blood vessels which i was originally told was why i would have a cs to be more controlled rather than risk the pressure which would be unpredictable during labour.

am so confused just need to make sure i understand all the risks

mears Sat 08-Aug-09 21:44:07

You need to sit down with the consultant and discuss your concerns monkeyfeet.

It may well be that labour is a good option, especially at 36 weeks. Contractions will stimulate the baby in preparation for birth. If elective CS is route to go, perhaps steroids should be given to mature lungs.

monkeyfeet Sun 09-Aug-09 09:06:59

Thanks mears this is what i need to do i have had steroids at 28 weeks in prep for cs at 36 weeks.

lou031205 Sun 09-Aug-09 09:27:48

monkeyfeet, you sound very level headed about this, but I just wanted to give my congratulations and condolences on your pregnancy. I can't imagine the emotional turmoil of having a pregnancy with this sort of complication. I hope the next few weeks go smoothly and you have the safe delivery of your surviving twin.

LeninGrad Sun 09-Aug-09 11:34:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

monkeyfeet Sun 09-Aug-09 13:26:22

thanks lou it means alot

lou031205 Sun 09-Aug-09 14:53:07

smile

monkeyfeet Tue 11-Aug-09 08:41:30

Hello

Just wanted to update.

I have spoken to the consultant at the regional hospital about whether they would have given me a cs or induction, and have been told that at which ever hospital I would be delivered at, the procedure would be the same. So I think they favour induction first as it would be better for me, however, I think the risk to the baby is slightly increased if the induction is not effective immediately.

So I am going to discuss it further with the fetal med unit at the specialist hospital and maybe push for the elective cs. I want the least risk to the baby and I can take the increased risk to me. I know cs means longer to recover from and is major surgery, but I have a very supportive family and husband to help me out.

Thanks very much to everyone who replied it has helped me sort myself out alot.

blinder Tue 11-Aug-09 15:00:33

sounds like you have a much clearer idea of what the pros and cons are now. thankfully you have some information with which to make a decision. well done!

whichever route turns out to be the best, I wish you a peaceful and joyful birth monkeyfeet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now