Talk

Advanced search

stitches after episiotomy - how much longer will they be stinging?!

(10 Posts)
TwoJobsOneManOneBump Sat 08-Aug-09 16:16:00

It's a week since baby's arrival and he's lovely. Big lad with a 37cm circumf head. I had an episiotomy (had written it as a preference in birth plan, which midwives followed brilliantly without needing to clarify at intense moments)

Anyway, the undercarriage still hurts a lot. Stings when I pee, like lemon juice in the eyes. I do try to pour water on the fanjo while peeing, as advised, but forget sometimes (eg at 4am. I compete with the local foxes for howling)

You're going to say this is nothing aren't you. And yes, I did look at the other thread in this topic about them not healing properly and being re-cut months down the line and something called Fentons. But just can someone confirm, reassure me, what is normal please?

heavenstobetsy Sat 08-Aug-09 16:27:10

well, mine split after three days and then took about 7 weeks to heal so I can't tell you what's normal for unsplit stitches - but I can tell you that when they're sore soaking a sanitary towel in witchhazel really helps

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 08-Aug-09 16:29:40

Sorry I don't know what is normal as I only had a graze, but I found getting a water bottle with a sports cap and using it to spray on me while peeing was a real relief. Oh, and I also added some lavender oil to the water to aid healing.

TwoJobsOneManOneBump Sat 08-Aug-09 16:31:04

midwife said they looked ok on the day 5 visit. I haven't done anything strenuous, but equally I'm not brave enough to get a mirror out and look! (DP also doesn't yet have enough curiosity to assess the damage for me...)

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 08-Aug-09 18:36:32

I got my dh to look at mine to make sure the stitches looked ok (whatever ok fanjo stitches look like?!)

From memory it still stung when peeing for upto a week, then the area felt a bit tight for a month or so (but not painful)

I'm sure there is a normal, but it probably ranges from weeks to months.

TwoJobsOneManOneBump Sun 09-Aug-09 20:47:15

oh, well, patience I suppose. Thanks both of you

McSnail Mon 10-Aug-09 10:27:56

37 cm?

Am I being stupid, or is that not enormous - ie, bigger than my waist? shock

anniemac Mon 10-Aug-09 10:43:29

Message withdrawn

sambo2 Mon 10-Aug-09 21:57:45

I ditto the water bottle with sports cap for squeezing directly whilst peeing! Diluted Calendula works a treat and I swore by a warn bath with dead sea salts and a generous splash of Tea Tree.

GirlsAreLoud Mon 10-Aug-09 22:01:05

McSnail you are thinking of inches I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now