Talk

Advanced search

Breech baby number 2!

(7 Posts)
milkmummy1 Fri 07-Aug-09 13:40:24

OK I had a strange early labour (36 weeks) last time where no-one had picked up the fact that my son was breech so i ended up with an emergency caesarian even though i was over 8cm dilated.

Am now 32 weeks preg with second baby and midwife said she 'thinks' it is in breech position again. will have scan at 36 weeks to confirm (if baby isnt here by then!)

Really dont want another caesarian and felt so dissapointed last time i got that far only to have the baby cut out of my tummy. People keep saying 'plenty of time to turn' but you know when you just get the feeling this is the way its going to be now and perhaps its just my body? and my luck!

Do you know if there are any reasons behind carrying breech babies and if it can be mum as opposed to baby? has anyone else had more than one breech baby and do these so called baby turning home excercies I can try work? did they work for you?

Many thanks

rubyslippers Fri 07-Aug-09 13:42:51

have a look at this thread

Tangle Fri 07-Aug-09 15:47:08

I posted my story on the other thread so won't repeat it here.

If you can get hold of a copy of the Benna Waites book (Breech Birth), she has a chapter on reasons some women are predisposed to carry breech - it can be to do with the shape of your uterus or the shape of your pelvis. It can run in familys.

Looking back, I do wonder if the Webster technique, or similar, would have worked for me - I saw a physio a couple of years before DD was born who commented I had an uneven pelvis, and if I'm honest I'm still not great at sitting square. Something for me to bear in mind for the future!

Good luck

Skaffen Fri 07-Aug-09 18:32:15

From what I've read it can either by bad luck or a womb shape which tends to encourage babies to go breech.

Ours was breech until 38 weeks, however it was turned by ECV (not that painful - had gas and air,only took 5 mins and wasn't the muscular exercise I was expecting - consultant used fingertips and 'walked' the baby round), highly recommended that you try it.

peachygirl Fri 07-Aug-09 18:48:08

Skaffen they won't try an EVC after a section for fear of rupturing the scar early.

My sympathies are with you milkmummy

I had a breech baby last time and although everyone says baby is head down I won't believe it until I have a scan, Baby is suspiciously in the same postion as DD was.

milkmummy1 Sat 08-Aug-09 13:29:07

Thanks very much for everyones comments. What about these excercies you can try at home to encourage baby to turn. has anyone tried them and did they work?

peachygirl Sat 08-Aug-09 18:25:46

milk mummy do a search o n mumsnet adn you will find lots of threads or here.

spinning babies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now