Talk

Advanced search

Just moved to Marlow - which hospital should I choose?

(7 Posts)
Murtette Thu 06-Aug-09 14:57:13

Hi

I'm 31 weeks pregnant and have just moved to Marlow. I'm currently booked into Kingston but that's over an hour away so am going to move to a local hospital. I had been planning on going to Wycombe but have then the midwife mentioned it was closing in October and my due date is 8th October. She suggested I go to Wycombe anyway as she doesn't think it will close until the end of the month but I don't want to turn up and find out that they've used all of their epidurals or something! Does anyone have any experience of Stoke Mandeville or John Radcliffe (which seem to be the other options)? Or has anyone given birth in Wycombe recently?

Thanks

galaxymummy Fri 07-Aug-09 15:33:15

Hi Murtette
You could check out reading royal berks basingstoke or for natural birth wallingford maternity I would avoid wexham park unless u like long car journeys round stoke poges. Why dont you go to free pregnancy class held by www.our-birthmatters.net and they can fill you in
hth
galaxy twin and multiple birth teacher

burnsy010 Sun 09-Aug-09 15:16:20

I've just given birth at Wycombe and it was excellent - all the staff were really helpful and friendly - couldn't recommend it highly enough.

My midwife informed me that it has been rumoured to close for the past 5 or so years, so to take these rumours with a pinch of salt.

Good luck!
Fi

littleducks Sun 09-Aug-09 15:22:33

My neighbour gave birth at wycombe a few weeks ago, which my midwife told me wouuld be closing when i had ds nearly 18 months ago hmm

I had dd at the ISIS birth centre at Wexham, i chose there as if you need more care at Heatherwood or Wycombe you would be transfered mid labour

Another friend has chosen John Radcliffe, and had great experiences but it was a long trek there

There is a lively nct in marlow, you should go along to a bumps and baby coffee morning, from 10 till 12 at Court Garden Cafe, Higginson Park, Marlow. Then you will get lots of opinions from recently delivered mums!

littleducks Sun 09-Aug-09 15:23:00

PS You dont need to be a nct member for coffee morning is open to all!

LackingNicknameInspiration Thu 13-Aug-09 01:36:39

Hi Murette

Don't think Wycombe is closing as such - but they are changing over to a midwife-led unit - which means that if you want full back up facilities, you'd need to go elsewhere - unless you meant that they're closing temporarily in October for the changeover, in which case, sorry for being a half wit, misunderstood!

I'm meant to be having my 2nd at Wycombe at the end of November - didn't live round here when DD was born so, rather unhelpfully, can't say what it's like - although have several friends who had positive experiences, but that was with the full unit. I was due to have a tour on Saturday but that's been cancelled until further notice due to swine flu fears - which I have a nasty feeling will probably be the case at Stoke Mandeville too (the other option) as it's the same trust.

Sorry that's not terribly helpful but best of luck!

lavenderbongo Thu 13-Aug-09 01:53:24

I gave birth in Stoke Mandeville almost 5 years ago. It was my first child and so I was rather scared and unsure about everything. Its clean and staff were friendly but fairly busy. I ended up having an epidural and being wheeled into theatre for a cs. Luckily they managed to get dd out using the ventouse. It was very proffesional and the midwifes were kind. I could have stayed in hospital for a few days but I chose to go home asap as I wanted my own things around me.

Its a busy hospital but the staff were nice and looked after us well. However my second daughter was born in a midwife run centre and we had a very different experience. They were fab and not so medicalised (birthing pool, no epidural, toast and tea after the birth) and I wish I had been there for my first birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now