Talk

Advanced search

Lansdell Suite, St Thomas' - worth EVERY penny

(6 Posts)
firsttooth Thu 06-Aug-09 11:12:07

I'm adding this review for those doing a search on the Lansdell, as I did about a year ago! If you can afford it: DO IT. Seriously, the best decision we made and would forego so many luxuries if we have to do it a second time and don't have the cash. Firstly though, it's not the Portland so don't expect anything as plushy but quite frankly you're not there for a mini-break it's the care and expertise you're paying for. Get past the sometimes surly/uncommunicative midwives on the Reception for your antenatal appointments and you're in great hands. Our consultant was Mr Kumar Kunde who was excellent - he is fairly reserved, polite and gentle so not much chat but who cares! He came into his own on B-Day and his "reserved" manner was a complete blessing because he remains so calm and we trusted him completely. Also, his needlework is amazing! My stitches healed up so quickly the health visitor couldn't believe I had ever had any. Once the baby is born the midwives on duty at the Suite were fantastic (didn't see any of the surly ones again so perhaps they only work on reception??). We once pressed the buzzer and had 2 in the room within 30 seconds. They were fantastic and (quite rightly!) make sure the mum has everything she needs and is comfortable. Dad does get his bed made up in the room though which is such a luxury as being alone with the baby is pretty scary at first but is also lovely for him, not having to leave you both. My other recommendation: mobile epidural. Worked an absolute treat; I had it at around 7cm, was able to top up myself but it wore off just in time for pushing stage. One of the best decisions of my life!

swampfire Thu 06-Aug-09 22:53:43

envy

3MilsMum Sat 08-Aug-09 13:07:50

Firsttooth - thanks so much for your post, just looking at the materials sent through from the Lansdell. Now trying to decide which consultant will be best.

tigerbump Sat 08-Aug-09 14:38:51

what are you looking at price wise, we have private insurance so is an option for us nexttime

TheHappyCat Sat 08-Aug-09 23:44:13

Glad you had a good experience, I feel the same about C&W Kensington ... for other ladies looking at the Lansdell a good friend has had two with Mr Kelleher and she raves about him too!

firsttooth Tue 01-Sep-09 11:02:00

Total paid was approx £7,500 which included epidural. Had a straight forward birth and was in for 1 night (although we were sort of in for 2 as baby was born early hours of the morning). If you end up having c-section and staying in for longer then it gets more expensive but I imagine even more worth it for the post natal care! Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now