Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used a doula @ King's London?

(15 Posts)
aliceemma Wed 05-Aug-09 15:16:26

I'm considering getting a doula for birth @ King's London and wondered if anyone had any experiences from King's and could recommend a doula in King's area?

I was going to ask my mum but as neither of us are the calmest people in the world (and she hasn't been in a maternity unit since the '60s) thought it would be better to have someone there for me who really knew what was going on. Also quite anxious about how busy King's can get and stories that 1 midwife can be having to support 3 or 4+ births.

Any experiences good or bad greatly appreciated.

SunshineDoula Thu 06-Aug-09 18:57:06

Hi there
How about looking on www.doula.org.uk or www.douladirectory.co.uk?

What is your EDD?

liahgen Thu 06-Aug-09 23:26:54

do you mean Kings in Dulwich area?

doulauk

nurturingbirth

aliceemma Fri 07-Aug-09 17:13:28

Yes - I'm in Herne Hill v close to King's so anyone who could easily access King's would be great. Thanks for the links.

aliceemma Fri 07-Aug-09 17:18:28

Thanks for the links - I have had a look at the directories but also really keen to talk to anyone who has used a doula @ King's who can talk me through pros & cons from their perspective.

MarthaFarquhar Fri 07-Aug-09 17:20:49

Hi there aliceemma. I just wanted to add that if you were interested, King's are VG at offering home births, so that's perhaps another avenue you can look at if you are concerned about hospital midwife cover.

I had my DD (my first) when I was living there and had 2 midwives there throughout.

MarthaFarquhar Fri 07-Aug-09 17:21:26

sorry, to clarify, 2 midwives at home.

liahgen Fri 07-Aug-09 18:55:05

have asked on our Forum, so if anyone replies I'll let you know.

liahgen Fri 07-Aug-09 20:08:05

so Apparantly the Albany team are good if you can get them,

Pm ward could be better is the info i'm getting.

email me or cat me

lctwalters@sky.com tell me your postcode?

When is baby due?

MarthaFarquhar Fri 07-Aug-09 20:27:18

Albany cover Peckham and Camberwell.

Brierly do the Lambeth home births I think.

12stepmum Fri 07-Aug-09 21:57:39

i had a doula for a kings birth 3 years ago (although i had been hoping for a homebirth but things didn't go to plan at all!!), it was all good, they even let her into the operating theatre for my emergency c-section, and were happy to have her and DH in the labour room for nearly a whole day before that too. i think it helped that she had got close to the midwives who had been at my house for about 16 hours before we transferred to kings, and had won their condifence through being brilliant!! having her there made all the difference to feeling positive despite the arrival of ds1 being so completely and utterly opposite to the birth we had hoped for.

12stepmum Fri 07-Aug-09 21:58:40

ps could put you in touch with her if you like, wouldn't hesitate for a minute to recommend her, and if i wasn't having an elective c-section this time i'd be hiring her again in a flash. good luck!

aliceemma Tue 11-Aug-09 14:15:34

Definitely want to have a hospital birth - (partly cos I'm an ancient first-timer ) - just want it to go as smoothly as possible and know that although King's is great there are times when they are swamped.

aliceemma Tue 11-Aug-09 14:16:28

Hi 12stepmum

If you could put me in touch with your doula that would be great. Thanks.

12stepmum Thu 13-Aug-09 20:29:57

Hi there, my doula's name is Clair Bayat all her contact details and info can be found on the doula uk website - doula.org.uk
best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now