Talk

Advanced search

Evening primrose - does anyone know how early you should start taking to ripen cervix?

(18 Posts)
LJ29 Sun 02-Aug-09 21:14:15

Just out of interest!

RinkyDinkyPinky Sun 02-Aug-09 21:41:44

I was advised to <ahem> insert it per vagina by my midwife. Just pop a couple of capsules up there before you go to bed... I didn't actually do it so can't vouch for it, however I trust my midwife- she delivered my DD2 at home and she's great. You should only do it from your due date and not before.

RinkyDinkyPinky Sun 02-Aug-09 21:44:30

Aha- this says orally and vaginally here

lots more out there if you google it

LJ29 Mon 03-Aug-09 09:49:08

Thanks Rinky, sounds a bit messy to be honest!

RinkyDinkyPinky Mon 03-Aug-09 15:03:44

Yes, I agree- with DD1 I was overdue and totally fed up and I went and bought a jar of EPO capsules but was never quite desperate enough to try it out! You could try swallowing them though.

GaribaldiGirl Mon 03-Aug-09 18:17:00

never heard of this before. after acuncture, reflexology, membrane sweep, vindaloo, rasberry leaf tea, pineapple and sex my cervix is still posterior and firm apparently. Am ringing husband now to get him the buy some capsules at the chemist - will try anything......thanks for idea!

liahgen Mon 03-Aug-09 21:42:31

I was facing induction at 38 wks due to complications with dc5 and in desperation, used EPO capsules, inserted twice, (snip top off and use tampon applicator to reach high to neck of cervix) last thing at night.

Also took 1000mg orally daily from just after 36 wks,

dd arrived 17 days early, all on her own, only one of my 5 that ever has. So would definately use again.

GaribaldiGirl Tue 04-Aug-09 11:06:20

wow liahgen - that's encouraging. did you squeeze the contents out of the capsure and put it on the tampon or put the whole capsule in? i'm 3 day late with number 5 and am always late so very similar position.

liahgen Tue 04-Aug-09 16:53:27

hiya,

No i cut op off and just put it into the end of applicator with tampon still in, inserted as tampon then removed tampon straightaway.

Never found any of it so asume it dissolved grin

good luck, let us know how you get on.

GentlyDoesIt Wed 05-Aug-09 17:26:15

liahgen, sorry to ask a gross question... but was there any sign of the capsules when you were in labour/delivering? I expect they'd be noticed about as much as a fart in a thunderstorm, but one of the things that's putting me off is that I could end up with a logjam of half-dissolved capsules...

GaribaldiGirl Wed 05-Aug-09 18:37:08

Gentlydoesit - i put a capsule in last night - clipped one end of it and shoved it up manually (not easy with massive bump in the way!!!). This morning i was intrigued and had a little feel about - sorry if TMI but no sign of it whatsoever. sadly also no sign of labour....but i notice liahgen did it twice so i might do it again tonight. i think they must dissolve quite easily.

liahgen Wed 05-Aug-09 18:39:02

No noe gently but to be fair it was couple days before when I'd done last one, (ie Tues and labour thurs)

But no signs of it morning after either, I expect any remains would be passed in your first wee of the day.

Just in same area as people having sex just before labour starts really, mw's have seen it all,there's so much other types of fluids anyway,

Hope it helps, not everyone's cup of tea but if no harm then why not I reasoned.

Good luck however it turns out.

GentlyDoesIt Wed 05-Aug-09 18:42:02

Thanks garibaldi and liahgen, I think I will give it a go!

LJ29 Thu 06-Aug-09 16:33:57

Have you tried it yet Gently?

GentlyDoesIt Fri 07-Aug-09 11:10:08

Not yet, I have got it into my head that I should wait until I'm 38 weeks, so 2 days to go... Just one of those weird late pregnancy bits of logic! I have been taking it orally though.

pushmepullyou Fri 07-Aug-09 11:40:50

Probably a coincidence, but I popped a couple of capsules in before bed when I was 39 weeks and went in to labour 4 hours later shock

Was worried about the capsules too, but I never saw them again!

LJ29 Fri 07-Aug-09 13:32:29

Pushme did you pierce them or just let them disolve?

pushmepullyou Fri 07-Aug-09 20:18:27

I snipped a hole in the end I think. Not too sure now tbh - seem to have forgotton quite a lot between then and now!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now