Talk

Advanced search

Gestational diabetes but completely closed cervix, should I go through induction or wait???? Help please!!!

(8 Posts)
Lua Tue 24-May-05 11:49:02

Hi everyone,
I am having a terrible dilemna and would welcome your input!
I have gestational diabetes, baby size seem to be under control. But, from what I understand there is always a chance the placenta would just quit unexpectedly. Thus, is a typical protocol not to let GD mother past their due date. I am due the June 2 and have an induction scheduled for June 1. The thing is, that as of today Cervix is long and closed. Baby is completely free - not engaged. This is my second baby, but my fiorst was two weeks late. It seems to me that induction will be pointless if things continue to look like that. Should I take the risk of going past due date or take the induction?

Mum2girls Tue 24-May-05 11:51:54

Personally, I would see medical advice and probably follow that.

colette Tue 24-May-05 12:08:29

I agree with mum2girls as I don't know anything about gestational diabetes, but was induced at 36 weeks with my first and my cervix was completely closed but the induction did work. hth and you get a more medically informed reply.

jane313 Tue 24-May-05 12:15:50

I had gestational diabetes and was never told anything about the placenta quitting unexpectedly. I had regular scans and did have a cs 2 weeks early because of the size. I don't know much about induction but I presumed it was meant to do all the opening of the cervix etc. I wouldn talk to a midwife or consultant though.

Lua Tue 24-May-05 20:35:05

Consultants are saying that it is about being "safer than sorry". It is just very hard to decide how safe it is actually necessary to be... Also, if it would be a sure CS, as induction likely to work a might be a bit braver and delay it a bit more....
Any more thoughts??? anyone else had a close shut cervix and induction worked?!

Lua Fri 27-May-05 10:45:30

Anyone else have some thoughts on the subject?

Steppy1 Fri 27-May-05 11:32:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lua Fri 27-May-05 14:59:42

Hi Steppy1,
My main concern is ending up in a CS. I know sometimes is necessary, and of course, in the end I want to bring a baby home. So will do if I must. But is hard to figure out how much is necessary. I have asked the consultant directly what are the chances of ending up with a CS if I get induced Wed, and she said pretty high, without thinking twice. However, when I asked her, what are the risks of leaving baby in, there was no answer....
I guess, I am trying to weigh the chances induction would work versus risk of letting baby go a little longer....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now