Talk

Advanced search

Having/had baby in Royal Infirmary - edinburgh ??

(25 Posts)
YummyMummy17 Sat 01-Aug-09 17:01:35

Question for those who have had a child at this hospital....
Or know what to expect there....
Im planning to have my baby in the Royal Infirmary, im 5days over due and looks like i will be getting an induction....

Will my birthing partner(s) have to leave until established labour ?
What is the policy on Epidural's?
What is the hospital like in general?
Good time or bad time there?

hmmhmm

Help please grin
x

K999 Sat 01-Aug-09 17:17:58

I had dd1 in the old Royal and tbh it was terrible, filty and full of uninterested midwives! I was induced on the Saturday and had her on the Tuesday (emergency section) My sister had ds1 and ds2 there and it was way better. She had no problems whatsoever...hth...smile

I had dd2 at St Johns in Livingston and the care I received there was brilliant! I had a section again but DP was not allowed in when I had the spinal but was when she was delivered.

bumble75 Sun 02-Aug-09 13:23:46

I had my dd at the new Royal in May 2007 - the midwives were amazing. I was lucky and had a midwife and student midwife with me the whole time I was there. I ended up having an emergency c-section and the care I got afterwards was fab as well - I really couldn't have faulted anyone or anything (except the food!).

I didn't have an epidural but got the impression that if I'd wanted one I could have had one, and a few of my friends have had them without any issues. And my dh was with me the whole time (except when they were trying to find him scrubs for the theatre that were long enough for his legs grin)

HTH and all the best!

mrswee Sun 02-Aug-09 13:54:32

I am due to have my baby there in September and have been a little worried about it as we didn't even get to see the tour video at our anti natal classes and I have no idea what to expect!
So I have asked a lot of people who have had experience there- both at my work and friends , I have been quite reassured by what I have heard especially people's recent experiences and especially from women who have had to have medical intervention IE induction ect, it seems that you get good hands on care if there is anything above a straight forward natural birth but that you can get left alone a bit if everything is going well.
you are also much more likely after the birth to get the keep your private room for the duration you stay and not be sent on to a ward, if you have had intervention, but be whisked out of your bed to a ward shortly after if not!

It does seem that st johns is more favored by a lot of people for being a calmer place, but it is less busy due to location.
My midwife said- No one who is booked in to either hospital (st johns or ERI) can gaurentee that they will actually give birth at the one they are booked into... just depends on how busy your hospital is when you arrive, they may send you to the other.
Good luck and I hope your wee one arrives before induction day!!

mrswee Sun 02-Aug-09 13:57:04

PS, let us know how you get on!

McSnail Sun 02-Aug-09 16:48:19

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, as I'll be giving birth at ERI this month.

Keep the opinions coming!

mrswee Sun 02-Aug-09 17:22:45

YummyMummy17 and McSnail - did either of you get to see the video/or new dvd tour of the ERI at you anti natal classes?

Our Video was broken and the new DVD hadn't arrived yet hmm

McSnail Sun 02-Aug-09 17:48:43

No - no video or tour of hospital. I missed the last ante-natal class though, so perhaps there was a video... but seeing as the last class was called 'Bringing Home Baby', I don't think there would have been any hospital info...

KatyS36 Sun 02-Aug-09 19:46:57

I'm watching this thread carefully as well. From the booklet this hospital looked all lovely and shiney. When I looked at options at http://www.birthchoiceuk.com/Frame.htm however, under their maternity statistics section their forceps delivery rate in 2007 (latest figures) was 16%, against a Scottish average of 8.4%. Ouch!

Any thoughts?

Whitetara Sun 02-Aug-09 21:42:54

I had my daugher there in November 2007 after transferring from a homebirth. I had an epidural and that was fine. 3rd degree tear but good surgery. Midwives were very very nice, but sort of left me on my own to get on with it despite being hooked up to a drip, on a catheter and left me on messy sheets in nothing but a bra for the entire day until the night shift came in. Breastfeeding advice was "is it going ok?" and I'd say "yes" thinking it was, when in actual fact it was far from ok, and baby was getting nothing as I had no milk to give. On leaving the following day, the midwife student asked me about whether I'd written the times of feeds down but no-one had told me about this. In short, they were nice during the birth, but the aftercare and support was minimal although done with great pleasantness.

liath Sun 02-Aug-09 21:50:16

Similar experience to Whitetara - no complaints about the care in labour, in fact I think the midwife saved me from a forceps delivery. However the breast-feeding support afterwards was lousy. They were pleasant enough but no-one had the time and expertise to get dd latched on properly and I was discharged expressing and syringe feeding.

I'm now a breast-feeding peer supporter and from what I've seen that aspect hasn't improved.

skybright Sun 02-Aug-09 22:07:06

I had two babies in the old Simpsons and my DS in the new Simpsons in Feb 2008.

I have no idea on the ante natal stuff as did not go.

Third baby,phoned at around eight thirty in the morning to say i was having reg contractions,told to head to the hospital. Got there about nine and was instructed to wait in the waiting room which was becoming full of people there for all different reasons not just labour.

Was waiting for about forty five mins (in hindsight should have moaned and complained earlier) sent DH to reception to ask when i would be seen as i was getting really pissed off.

Was then taken to an assessment suite on the same level as the waiting room. The room was slightly skanky with a plastic chair and a kind treatment room bed IYSWIM. I was examined and was only about 3cm dilated.

I had said that i wanted a waterbirth so was adviced that the room should be free soon (i think there are only 1 or 2 pools).

Ended up waiting in that room from 9.45 am till about 15.00. I think i was seen once more in this time although to be fair it was a slow labour and i did not ask to see anyone.

By the time i got upstairs i was mighty pissed off,however the pool room is lovely,nice and big,sofa's,birthing balls,nice big pool,dim lighting.

I had a lovely midwife,she was vey pro natural and actually said no wait a bit when i asked for gas and air about 10 mins before i had my DS!.

I had a shoulder dystoria birth which was dealt with very well and calmly.

Had DS with a couple of puffs of Gas and air,i get intense afterpains and she listened to me when i told her and i used gas and air for a good twenty minutes after the birth and delivering the placenta,stiches done without a problem.

So i arrived at the hospital at around 9am and had DS at 18.44. Oh had to go home aroung half eight to take the dog out and when the change of shift came on the midwife said why did'nt i phone him and get him to bring the car seat as i could go home.

I had not been moved to the ward and felt a bit pressured to leave,so we were home by about eleven that night!.

Christ what a speil!!!! To sum up i thought the midwifes were pretty good,labour suite was lovely,did not see a ward so can't comment and if i was you i would make a bit more fuss than i did to be seen quicker.If my son's labour had been like my daughter who was born after about 90 mins from first contraction,i would have had him in the waiting room.

Good luck.

skybright Sun 02-Aug-09 22:07:57

Forgot to say,i think you are allowed to have your partner with you at all times.

Paolosgirl Sun 02-Aug-09 22:10:36

I'm pretty sure that ERI deals with the more high risk pregnancies, which probably explains some of their stats. I know people who have had their babies there, and say it was good but very, very busy.

I had all mine at St Johns - cannot recommend it highly enough.

skybright Sun 02-Aug-09 22:28:07

It just goes on the area you live in Paolosgirl.

I have not had high risk births.

skybright Sun 02-Aug-09 22:31:23

Sorry, You mean if you were from outside Edinburgh you would be referred there instead of ST Johns etc.

expatinscotland Sun 02-Aug-09 22:32:32

I had my first two there, one in 2003 and one in 2005.

During the deliveries, the care was excellent. I had an epi with DD1 and forceps and never had any long-term problems at all.

I had DD2 shortly after arrival and was whisked right up to delivery suite after DH ran into the reception area because I could no longer get out of the car (there was a lip of cervix between me and full dilation).

Afterwards, well, it was hot. But it was way better than Paisley, where I had DS, where I travelled there by ambulance took a fecking hour and a half I went specifically to get an epi then waited 4 hours for one (they were told that was the reason for my transfer before the ambulance even left!).

hambo Sun 02-Aug-09 22:34:09

I have had 2 babies here - one 2 yrs ago and one 6 months ago.

Both times I had my own room until the baby was born. Both times my husband was able to stay with me.

I was induced with first baby and it took a couple of nights for him to arrive. The first night my husband stayed on the floor - they gave him a wee mattress. the second night he went home for a sleep. (I reccommend this so that at least one of you is OK and not too exhausted)

I had an epidural both times. the important thing, if you want one, is to ask for one AS SOON as you get in the hospital and they will get it organised. this is just in case the doctor is busy!

The staff are fabulous, it was lovely and clean, I got looked after very well even though I was there on the snowiest day in Feb and there were hardly any midwifes as they were all stuck in the snow!

Don't worry!

GOOD LUCK!!

hambo Sun 02-Aug-09 22:35:57

And yes - it is really hot!

YummyMummy17 Mon 03-Aug-09 09:54:45

Hey everyone grin !

Im in labour Contractions started at 4am this morning grin 5mins apart....

I phoned up the hospital, they told me I should hang on at home for as long as I can I will let you's know how I get on at the new Royal wink

grinxx

expatinscotland Mon 03-Aug-09 11:33:53

Best of luck!

mrswee Mon 03-Aug-09 12:47:17

oh good luck!! happy for you that you don't need to be induced after all xx

McSnail Mon 03-Aug-09 15:17:57

Good luck, YM17.

Let us know how it went (when you can, that is!)

Whitetara Mon 03-Aug-09 22:45:22

Best of luck to you YummyMummy.

Skybright - one of my friends had a very similar experience to you and ended up labouring in a public reception area for a good while. She felt very self conscious about it until she was eventually allowed a single room, but it was quite a wait.

skybright Tue 04-Aug-09 09:39:14

Good luck yummy mummy.

Whitetara...I wonder if it was a timing thing but still it was really cringeworthy and i always say to folk to make a bit off a fuss to be seen quickly.

Very undignified and not the close bonding start to labour i thought lol. All the partners of the women and the women looking at me thinking "oh shit, got that coming".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now