Talk

Advanced search

Is this recovery (or lack thereof) normal after delivering big baby???

(15 Posts)
Clowncar Fri 31-Jul-09 18:46:52

OK- am v regular but name changed due to sheer embarassment blush

DD is 19wks and weighed 11lbs at birth. She was delivered via natural home water birth. I suffered a 2nd degree tear that healed after 6wks or so.

I have some issues that were deemed normal at my 8week check but they havent improved. Anyone else experienced these?

My PF muscles are far from recovered and my fanjo walls are so stretched that my bladder sags forward and feels like its trapped at vaginal entrance - some of the time not always. Dr said not a prolapse but not sure....

If i sit down for period of more than 20mins (eg car jouney) when i get up i immediately have urgent urge for a wee. Is a real pain for e.g. trip to park as i have to immediately find a loo or i cant walk for discomfort/ pressure

My fanjo is so stretched that there is no way i can hold in a tampon (tho not had to try yet) and when I take bath or swim I fill up with water regardless of position.

I am doing pf exercises but they really arent helping.

Anyone had this? is it normal? am i broken?

KristinaM Fri 31-Jul-09 18:49:27

I'm sorry you are having these problems. i dont know the answer but just bumping for you

Habbibu Fri 31-Jul-09 18:51:27

DD was 10lb 11oz, normal vaginal delivery with small second degree tear (4 stitches) and some bruising. I didn't experience the problems you're describing - at least not by 19 weeks, I'm sure. I'd see GP again, because it sounds like a pain, and not something you should just have to grin and bear with by this point.

CarGirl Fri 31-Jul-09 18:53:08

dc2 was 10lb 6oz, tiny nick that took one stitch and no I didn't have any problems like that.

Go back to your dr and ask for a referral.

Clowncar Fri 31-Jul-09 18:56:02

thanks- ironically my muscles were so tight before giving birth that having sex was often painful!!

maxbear Fri 31-Jul-09 19:45:08

Definately go to your gp and ask to be referred to a physio who might be able to help. If this doesn't help you may be able to have surgery which will help, but well worth giving the pysio a good go first.

It is not normal to have this sort of problem to this extent, it is very debilitating to have to look for loos everywhere you go (am in same boat but due to pregnancy, and probably not so severe, will hopefully stop afterwards) If your gp fobs you off ask for a second opinion and don't take no for an answer. If you are breastfeeding it is possible that this may improve slightly when you stop as your hormones will settle down, but don't stop just to find out as I may be wrong about that. Hope it gets better for you and soon.

Lizzylou Fri 31-Jul-09 19:55:28

I am another who had a 10lb 11oz baby, though via ventouse.
I did find that I was very uncomfortable sitting down and did have to rush for the loo at short notice many a time. I didn't even attempt sex for a long while and didn't use tampons for a good few months after my period returned. I felt wierd down there and a lot of it was psychological too. Now, am absolutely fine and the PF exercises have proved very successful wink
Shortly after DS2's birth a MW sat down with me and told me to do as many PF exercises as I possibly could as DS2 had been so big and I could have problems in the future. She had had 5 babies, all of whom were big so I listened and was really strict at doing them.

You do really need to see your GP. You need to get yourself checked out.

weegiemum Fri 31-Jul-09 19:59:30

Your GP should be able to refer you to an obstetric physio who will be able to give you some more <ahem> focused help to improve your pelvic floor.

My dd1 was 10lb (luckily subsequent 2 were smaller) and I certainly had to work at the pelvic floor for months to get it back to as close to 'normal' as is possible after having a baby!

Clowncar Sat 01-Aug-09 03:08:14

thanks for some perspective on this

Also, haemorroids- whats does this feel like?

My bum feels like it turns inside out whilst using loo. Doesn't bleed and insideoutness can be <<ahem>> pushed back in blush

Is that piles or something else. Oh, doesn't hurt at all

Thank you !

Clowncar Sat 01-Aug-09 11:35:31

bump

Sn0wflake Sat 01-Aug-09 16:04:32

Doesn't sound like the piles I get that just are bumps of skin around the opening. Go back to the doctor and get it checked out I think.

weegiemum Sat 01-Aug-09 16:08:31

Clowncar - the "inside-out" feeling sounds exactly like my piles!

maxbear Sat 01-Aug-09 19:30:12

yep, definately piles, oh the joys of having children grin

SpawnChorus Sat 01-Aug-09 19:41:03

clowncar - it sounds like you have piles and possibly a bit of prolapsing, both of which can be sorted! I really would go to the GP sooner rather than later. There's no point putting up with the discomfort needlessly. He/she might suggest that you wait a bit longer and continue with the pelvic floor exercises for a while before embarking on any more drastic action with the prolapsing. FWIW DS was 10lb 9oz and I don't remember feeling your pelvic floor problems, but I definitely did have piles.

rachels103 Thu 06-Aug-09 14:38:16

I had an 11lb 4oz baby 4 weeks ago and not suffering the problems you describe. I'm sure they are sortable but I'd go back and see GP rather than suffering any more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now