Talk

Advanced search

Was your partner present in theatre when your spinal was put in before CS?

(102 Posts)
mears Thu 30-Jul-09 20:14:20

Either for emergency or elective CS?

In my unit the partner comes into theatre after the spinal has been put in and the woman is all covered with draped.

If there is an epidural in place, the partner again does not come in until the woman is prpared and draped.

When did your partner come into theatre? If he wasn't there for the spinal going in, did you feel left alone?

Should partners be present the minute a woman is admitted to theatre.

Experiences please.

EccentricaGallumbits Thu 30-Jul-09 20:16:07

yes partners should be there - woman still needs support throughout her birth experience whether normal birth or CS.
and yes - in my experience partners are there throughout.

VoodooOnABoat Thu 30-Jul-09 20:16:12

yes he was there throughout for elective.

he just followed me around!!
and talked to the nurses about football hmm

took my mind of stuff...

traceybath Thu 30-Jul-09 20:17:37

No and i did query it (just last week in fact).

The anaethetist said they prefer the partners to come in once the spinal has been administered but didn't mind if i felt strongly i wanted him present.

Think its down to the preference of the anaethetist really.

Meglet Thu 30-Jul-09 20:18:00

My dp wasn't in the theatre for the spinal on either my em cs or planned cs. He came in once I was ready and hooked up to all the machines.

I was fine with it TBH. He would have just got in the way when all the theatre staff were sorting me out.

Both times I felt in very safe hands with the theatre staff, they cracked on with their job and I know my dp would have felt like a spare part.

LilRedWG Thu 30-Jul-09 20:18:21

We were told that DH couldn't be in with me for my spinal, due to previous H's freaking out or passing out, but at the last minute they called him in, but he wasn't allowed to hold my hands - the midwife did that. DH was put in his seat to watch.

It did make me feel better having him there, especially as I got a little panicky as the spinal started to kick in.

Anything else you want/need to know?

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jul-09 20:18:39

no, and i was absolutely terrified without him. i hated him not being there, was petrified anyway as we'd only just found out an hour before that the baby had to come out (early by 6 weeks).

however, it was a revolting experience, i was very close to fainting/throwing up as they couldn't get the spinal to work the way they wanted and there was a lot of fiddling around with my back etc, so i can see that they need to work without interruption.

dh said it was the worst half hour for him as well, waiting outside and not knowing what was going on.

in fact, mears, i've just burst out crying thinking about it and it was nearly a year ago so i think that tells the story. smile

StillNorks Thu 30-Jul-09 20:18:45

No H was outside and was called in when the scary needle had been put away grin He then stared into my eyes the whole time for fear of seeing anything nasty, then left room with DS 2 mins after he was born, I did get a brief look before passing out smile

olivo Thu 30-Jul-09 20:19:04

he was there throughout for my em cs. i wouldnt have cared either way at the time, i have to say, i just wanted it over with and the baby out safely by that stage!

for the elective i hope to have this time, i would hope he would be there throughout too, to calm my nerves.

ISeeDadPeople Thu 30-Jul-09 20:19:57

My partner was told he couldn't enter the theatre until the spinal was sited and I was prepped and draped

I was very upset about it, and desperately wanted him to be there throughout. He also wasn't allowed into recovery. so was there during the section (planned) and then back on the postnatal ward

This was 2008 by the way

newweddingname Thu 30-Jul-09 20:20:33

I had to have a spinal for a manual removal of placenta after a vaginal birth so dp and dd came into theatre with me! Both were there for the placing of the spinal and everything else!

I was so v. glad they were too

Stinkyfeet Thu 30-Jul-09 20:21:12

Can't remember for my em. He was definitely there for my el, as he was holding both my hands trying to stop me from shaking! Would have been terrified without him there!

mears Thu 30-Jul-09 20:31:26

We have always had partners come in after the spinal has been put in. I think the concern is that partners might freak/ faint during the procedure and there is no time to be spent on them. Also the woman needs to listen to the anaesthetist and co-operate fully. There is the worry the partner will get distressed if he sees his partner in distress.

I am just wondering whether there should be a choice - I haven't really thought about it much before now.

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jul-09 20:31:56

what's this for, mears? considering you've just traumatised a number of us... wink

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jul-09 20:33:20

x-post.

i don't know what's to be done, mears. i wanted dh there SO MUCH, it felt like the beginning of a violation (strong but ykwim) that he wasn't, like the medics were marking their territory and showing us both who was boss. terrible.

AitchTwoOh Thu 30-Jul-09 20:33:59

although i must stress that they COULD NOT have been nicer about everything. they were kindness itself. but it was still an awful experience.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 30-Jul-09 20:36:12

OMG thank god MrNQC could be there with me for my spinal. I am not good with needles (needlephobic really), the idea of someone monkeying around with my spine gives me the willies.

He held my hand, and helped me breathe slowly, and really made things easier. If he couldn't have been there, they probably would have still let me have my midwife, I guess, as she was known to them, although she was legally there as my friend or something.

BlackLetterDay Thu 30-Jul-09 20:37:00

My dp was with me for the elcs right from the start, whilst putting in spinal and catheter lol. Can't remember for the emcs tbh, I already had an epi in, I think he was sent off to put scrubs on whilst they prepped me, but it must have only been 5 minutes.

newweddingname Thu 30-Jul-09 20:38:24

I wanted dp and dd there with me very much, I had only just given birth, had very little skin ti skin contact and would have felt upset being seperated from them both so it worked out lovely for us (well as lovely as a manual removal can be!).

Dp was sat in a chair with his back to my bits and he was holding dd and he held my hand and I kept dd in my sights at all times!

Where possible, if the relatives can handle it and want to be there I think they should be encouraged tbh, they can always be positioned looking away from the procedure.

Guitargirl Thu 30-Jul-09 20:40:41

DP was there throughout for both elective and emergency sections. TBH I wouldn't have minded either way as I was too focused on what was happening to my body to worry about who else was there. I do think in some ways it would have been hard on him to expect to wait outside, that would probably have freaked him out more than being in the room.

christiana Thu 30-Jul-09 20:41:18

Message withdrawn

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 30-Jul-09 20:42:24

He was sent to get changed and he wasn't fetched until the spinal block was in.

He would have benefitted from being told whether he was meant to keep his underwear on under the scrubs.

I didn't mind having the spinal without him but I vanished and he was worried as he didn't know where I was.

asuwere Thu 30-Jul-09 20:46:37

with my first EM CS, DH was not allowed in and no-one said much to me, I was in a lot of pain and it truly was awful. And in fact, he was only let in when I asked where he was and they suddenly remembered him - he could have missed it all!

with DS3 - again EM CS, I demanded that he came in with me and he was allowed. I don't think it is normal though as not everyone in the theatre seemed happy about it (my MW is a star though and she did what I asked )

I think it made a HUGE difference having him there. I can totally understand what Aitch says about it feeling like the medics are showing you they are in charge. It can feel very scary to be completely at the mercy of some surgeon who you can't even see their face! The thought of those 10mins in that theatre without DH almost brings me to tears. It truly was the worst part of the whole experience.

Mintyy Thu 30-Jul-09 20:50:57

Mears - my dh was present when I was given GA for my crash caesarian but then hurried out of the room after. I believe he was only there because there was a flurry of activity and no-one had thought to usher him out of the way.

He wasn't present when I had the spinal for my elective c/s a couple of years later because he is phobic about needles. I was cool with that. However, the anaesthatists didn't actually ask me if I had anyone with me until after it was in and taking effect - then we called him in from the side room. But I think they would have been happy for him to be present if he had wanted to be.

You know the thing that really bothers me about my elective? The midwife was fab, the anaesthatists were fab, the theatre assistants were fab - but the surgeon (or surgeons?) who actually performed the operation? well I didn't ever see them or speak to them! They came into the room after the screen was put up and left before it came down. I was truly shocked by that ...

FairMidden Thu 30-Jul-09 20:52:17

At my elective section DP never left my side until DS was taken to be weighed and APGARed etc - we'd agreed previously that he would go with DS if he had to be taken elsewhere at any point. I can honestly say that while it was totally fine and went very smoothly it was the single most terrifying experience of my life and had he not been there I would probably have turned into a hysterical treatment-refusing lunatic. He made me brave

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now