Talk

Advanced search

Due sweep tomorrow, will it work ?

(15 Posts)
YummyMummy17 Sun 26-Jul-09 12:47:05

Im exactly 40weeks gone tomorrow and I am booked in for a sweep tomorrow and would like to know the chances of it working ? this is my first baby and I am really wanting him out....

Any experiences on sweeps?
Have they worked for you ?
Should I do anything after my sweep, i.e go for a walk or... ?

HELP !

x

threeplusone Sun 26-Jul-09 13:26:06

HI I had sweeps with DS1 and DS2 both VBACS, I had them both within 48hrs and they were done on my due date. It diesnt always work though.. fingers crossed for you hun xx

YummyMummy17 Sun 26-Jul-09 14:46:56

Fingers crossed I go as soon as you did Cant wait ! x

thisisyesterday Sun 26-Jul-09 14:47:55

i hadøne when i was a week over with ds3.
went into labour that night.

wouldn't want one again though, it wasn';t very pleasant

AnathemaDevice Mon 27-Jul-09 08:33:41

I had 2 sweeps, one at 40+3 and another at 40+8. DS arrived at 40+14, so no, they didn't work for me!
I did go for a long walk afterwards both times, all it did was make me ache more.
They're not particularly pleasant, but I would try it again if I went over, if only because the midwife told me I was already 2cm dialated so I knew that things were happening, if a little slower than I would have liked.
Good luck, and I hope you don't go as far over your due date as I did!

roxy12 Mon 27-Jul-09 13:21:35

I had a sweep 40+1, i had the sweep at 9.30am and went into labout at 7.30pm that evening then i had a little boy at 10.15am the next day.

It depends if you are dilated and wether your cervix is soft and stretchy.

I got told by my midwife that its normally the second sweep you have done that works but when i had mine she said to me take this as your second sweep and i was 3cm dilated and my cervix was soft and stretchy.

Your midwife will tell you if you are dilated and how soft and strtchy your cervix is.
I had my little boy on 26th june 09.

Good luck.

pippa251 Mon 27-Jul-09 13:33:11

Yes- 5 days ago!!!

I had a 2 sweeps 1 at 40 weeks- didn't hurt- but had loads of bhicks after. had another sweep at 41 weeks which hurt - i was exactly the same bishops score as the first so I expected nothing to happen. I went for a walk and a swim after (I was doing this daily anyway)- and jumped up and down under the water a few times- then had sex over a birthing ball - doggy style as it is meant to work more- soory if tmi- woke at 1.30am with contractions 3 mins apart. went to hospital at 3am- 3cm dialated and delivered at 8.06am a little girl weighing 8lbs 40z this tuesday!!!

I do think that the sweep I had helped but if you're having one i'd combine it with as much of the 'old wives' things as possible as it worked for me!

YummyMummy17 Mon 27-Jul-09 13:56:45

Question for Roxy12.....
How many cm were you dilated when you had your sweep? And what was your bishop score ?

I am 1cm dilated and my bishop score is 5, I don't have a clue what that means?

Question for Pippa251......
Again... How many cm were you dilated when you had your sweep? And what was your bishop score ?

I have been getting sore back since my sweep, duno if that means anything or if it is just B-hicks ?

Thank you all for sharing your experiences

grin x

IdrisTheDragon Mon 27-Jul-09 14:02:55

I had a sweep at 40+3 at about 1:30pm.

Didn't get any twinges that evening. Next day labour started about 6:45am and DD was born at 1:26pm smile.

Have no idea what my bishop score was or whether I was dilated at all.

artichokes Mon 27-Jul-09 14:08:51

With DD2 I had three asweeps at 39, 40 and 41 weeks. I suppose the last one might have worked as I went into labour the next day, but the first two did not.

Even at 39 weeks I was 3cm dilated (remember this was my second child). My cervix was soft but still long. After that first sweep I had a show, loads of BHs and back ache. Nevertheless it was another two weeks before I went into labour.

Caro1302 Mon 27-Jul-09 19:49:44

I'll let you know soon! I had a sweep this morning, 40+0 with #2, hoping for VBAC. I was already 1-2cm dilated and my cervix is soft and midway positioned. I had a good few hours of BH and some bleeding but that's all stopped now. I'm still hoping that something's going to happen in the next day or 2.

serenity Mon 27-Jul-09 19:59:13

I had sweeps with the DSs and they didn't appear to work. Had two sweeps with DD, and the second (at 40+10) seemed to work, at least I went into labour that evening. My MW wouldn't do sweeps until you were at least 40+7 as they said it would only work if you were ready to go into labour.

FWIW iirc I was 2cm dilated when I had the 'winning' sweep with DD smile

barnsleybelle Mon 27-Jul-09 20:00:57

I had a sweep at around 10am with dd and she was born later that night! Good luck smile

naturopath Mon 27-Jul-09 22:04:50

Had 3 sweeps with dc1 - did nothing and v painful.
Had one this morning with dc2 at 41+5, but don't think it worked. Less painful though, but I guess that's because I've given birth before.
If cervix is long, hard and high, I doubt it will work.

pippa251 Wed 29-Jul-09 08:42:51

I was 1cm dialated bishops score of 6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now