Talk

Advanced search

How long after your c-section did you wear the anti blood clot stockings for?

(17 Posts)
Phoenix Sat 25-Jul-09 22:33:38

Hospital advised 6 weeks but i didn't wear them for 6wks after my last section. They are really starting to annoy me now.

bundle Sat 25-Jul-09 22:36:00

I only wore them for a few days afterwards (but this was 6 and 9 yrs ago) - however, I have been speaking to experts about this recently (for a programme I'm making) and it does seem necessary to wear them for longer - not sure precisely how much longer..6 wks does sound rather a long time

5inthebed Sat 25-Jul-09 22:37:12

I never wore them after my first 2 sections, the hospital didn't give me any, but after my 3rd section, was advised to wear them for 6 weeks.I took them off as soon as I got home though.

Meglet Sat 25-Jul-09 22:38:55

I took them off once I was out of hospital, after both cs's. I was under the impression they were only needed during the hospital stay as I wasn't moving around much. However I am quite thin and have low blood pressure, I daresay if you are in a higher risk group they would want you to wear them for longer.

BikeRunSki Sat 25-Jul-09 22:43:49

For as long as it took me to walk out of hospital. I was in for a week. Although I hated them, I didn't want any reason for them to stop me once I was finally discharges! I used to walk every day though. Even when I was still in hospital, you could have found me walking round town wearing pyjamas and crocs!

Haribosmummy Sat 25-Jul-09 22:45:46

I wore mine for 5 days. Never even crossed my mind to use them after I left hospital.

I agree with Meglet - I was only advised to wear them while I wasn't active.

Once I came out of hospital, I walked at least a couple of miles each day.

FlappyTheBat Sat 25-Jul-09 22:52:53

Only during hospital stay post section, so 48 hours.

I was told to only wear them at home if I was completely inactive but as I had a toddler to look after as well as a newborn, being inactive wasn't really an option.

thehairybabysmum Sat 25-Jul-09 23:00:33

Ive had two em c/s and have never been given any.

paranoidmother Sat 25-Jul-09 23:01:51

I've never heard of them and had c section 3 years ago now.

SummerLightning Sat 25-Jul-09 23:15:11

I only vaguely remember wearing them so I'm sure they must have got binned before I left hospital (I have pictures of me leaving hospital in a dress - only thing I could wear with scar - and I am definitely not wearing them!)

KembleTwins Sat 25-Jul-09 23:15:56

Never had them.

Phoenix Sat 25-Jul-09 23:23:37

So you think after 2wks and 1 day i can stop wearing them. I also have a toddler and a newborn so resting is pretty impossible.

bundle Sat 25-Jul-09 23:40:10

I think you should be fine - but the risk is real (of clotting - not to do with high or low bp, but a risk after any surgery and/or immobility) and if I were you I'd check with the community midwives what their guidelines are.

(this isn't to scare you - more put it into context - an estimated 25,000 people die every year as a result of clots when they've had an op/been in hospital - compared with about 1,500 from MRSA, CDiff infections - MOST of these people have increased risk factors like advancing age, use of combined pill, family history, etc - so your risk is probably quite low)

AcademicMum Sat 25-Jul-09 23:44:25

With ds1 I had to really throw a paddy to get any from the midwives. They stayed on till my first shower (after which i couldn't cope with the bending required to get them back on again). With ds2 I had inflatable stockings until I was up and about, then nothing. I was given warfarin (blood thinning drug)every day whilst in hospital though.

olivo Sun 26-Jul-09 10:33:06

i wore them for the week i was in hospital after cs for dd. was also given claxane (?) injections for 5 days, which , i think, were to prevent clotting?no one mentioned wearing them once i was out.

Phoenix Sun 26-Jul-09 19:10:46

I had some blood thinning injections while i was in too (can't remember the name of them). I haven't had the stockings on today.

MovingOutOfBlighty Sun 26-Jul-09 19:12:20

My ds is 22 months.

I am still wearing my stockings as I think they look really natty. I have drawn black lines up the back of them to mimic old fashioned 1940's stockings.

Seriously, after 4 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now