Talk

Advanced search

Birth pools... there is just too much information and I'm getting confused!

(15 Posts)
GinGirl Sat 25-Jul-09 16:03:45

Can any one help me with deciding on a birth pool? I have had a look online but there are so many companies and so many different options that I'm just stressing myself out!

What I need are personal recommendations or advice...

I'm 34 weeks and planning a home birth with my second baby. I laboured in the poool in hospital last time and would really like the option should I need it this time. I've got loads of space to site one but not much money to throw at the problem. I realise I've left it late but there must be people out there who can help a poor disorganised hot pregnant woman (is playing the sympathy card working at all...!)

sausagerolemodel Sat 25-Jul-09 16:25:14

They are all much of a muchness so far as I can see. I had la bassine (I think it is also known as "made in water") which is very similar to birth pool in a box, which is also similar to the ecobirthpool except it is a yucky green and I can't see much "eco" about it (except it is apparently made with "eco-vinyl" whatever that is - I'm suspicious.
I got a second hand one that hadnt been used to save money.

childrenchildreneverywhere Sat 25-Jul-09 18:22:04

Your best bet if money is an issue is to buy an inflatable, Birth Pool in a Box is the most popular and a favourite with my clients (I'm a doula), but the others in the above post are fine too. You could look on Ebay and get a "second hand" one - many of them haven't even been used as for one reason or another the mum transferred to hospital. The best thing with buying a pool is you can resell it afterwards to recoop the cash!

I used to be a pool hire agent (rigid pools) but stopped doing it a year ago as there is really no call for them anymore, the inflatables are so good and cheap!

HTH

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 25-Jul-09 18:24:51

I used La Bassine, although I think the website is called MadeInWater.

I am 5'10" and found the pool long and deep enough.

The sides were more than rigid enough for me to lean on and to use as a support whilst slumped over them.

Indith Sat 25-Jul-09 18:26:25

I used a second or third hand La Bassine, it was very comfy. I think they are all pretty much the same.

GinGirl Sat 25-Jul-09 19:53:56

Thank you everyone.

Childrenchildren that is really interesting about the inflatable vs rigid - at least that clears up one decision!

I think I need to have a look on ebay for a second hand version, am I right in thinking that you line the pool with a disposable liner? Does that go for inflatables as well?

sausagerolemodel Sat 25-Jul-09 20:18:15

People sometimes use liners if they have second hand one or to make it easier to sell on, but you don't need them as long as you make sure its all cleaned out with Milton or equivelant so there is no infection risk (a good reason to get a second hand one from someone who didn't actually give birth in theirs though).

thisisyesterday Sat 25-Jul-09 20:23:30

i had a la bassine and loved it both times

in fact, it's for sale if you're interested?

childrenchildreneverywhere Sat 25-Jul-09 21:39:13

I wouldn't bother with liners, they have a tendency to wrinkle and be uncomfortable on your knees. Hospital birth pools don't use liners!

Certainly if you're buying one new, I'd wipe it round with Milton, leave the liner untouched and sell it on "with a brand new liner" - you'll get much more money for it then, sneaky!

TheProvincialLady Sat 25-Jul-09 21:48:33

I dunno though. It's more the cleaning up afterwards isn't it? I think my DH was quite grateful to be able to chuck the liner out rather than scrub the pool with soapy water and milton.

I have to say though OP, it's not much of a decision. They are just pools. I don't think you will find much difference once you are in it and giving birth.

PrettyCandles Sat 25-Jul-09 21:55:17

I never got to use my BPIAB as I had to go to the hospital and ended up waterbirthing in their rigid pool, but I am sure that I would have felt very comfortable in the BPIAB. I did like the narrowness of the sides of the hospital pool, I'm not sure I would have been able to grip the BPIAB's sides as I ddi the hospital sides, but OTOH the BPIAB has handles.

I lent my BPIAB to another mum, who also never got to use it. If you get a second hand one, used or unused, buy a new liner for it for hygiene reasons. Also much easier to enpty out with a liner. The water can be truely revolting by the time you've finished in it!

We kept our pool, and get it out a few times a year, either indoors (in winter) or outdoors (in summer) for a family hot-tub. Great fun! grin

TheProvincialLady Sat 25-Jul-09 21:59:56

Oooh I never thought to use mine indoors! I have been looking forward to getting it out in the garden, but that is a great idea.

(On the subject of revolting water, DH found a sliver of the inside of my fanjo in oursshock He only really registered what it was as he was slooshing it down the drain, and then wondered whether he ought to fish it out in case they could sew it back on)

Tangle Sun 26-Jul-09 00:16:34

We hired a rigid, filtered pool. What swung it for us was that it can be filled (and used) in advance. Both my mother and grandmother had fairly quick labours and our hot water tank isn't particularly large, so we had images of DH still trying to get enough warm water in to an inflatible one while I was giving birth in the next room.

As it panned out I only used the pool for about 10 minutes during labour (long story) but it more than paid for itself as a wallow in the last few weeks of pregnancy when I was way too big to get in and out of the bath anymore.

It wasn't the cheapest option, but I'm sorely tempted to do it again

mogend77 Sun 26-Jul-09 15:41:13

I'm doing what tangle did. Yes it's our biggest expense this time round (though they allow scheduled payments, which helps) but I fully intend to get maximum use out of it for wallowing during those final, uncomfortable weeks. I am hiring a Gentlewater pool. We only have a small tank so filling/maintaining temp would be a nightmare otherwise.

zgaze Sun 26-Jul-09 23:31:37

thisisyesterday - I'm looking for a second hand birth pool to buy if yours is still available? (or anyone else that has one in the loft they fancy getting rid of?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now