Talk

Advanced search

another am I in labour thread, sorry but I just don't know!

(20 Posts)
Mammina Sat 25-Jul-09 08:13:16

Am 39+6 today, had a sweep yesterday morning and have been having what I think may be contractions since about 11.30pm last night. They feel like period painy tightenings and have been happening all night roughly every 9 mins, BUT they are fairly low down whereas I thought the tightenings would be higher up to push the baby down??
Also what makes me dubious is that they are completely manageable (at the moment), and they only last about 40-50 secs

Can anyone tell me whether this is the real thing, or just stronger, frequent braxton hicks?

FickleFairy Sat 25-Jul-09 08:21:05

Hi Migola,

This sounds exactly like what happened with my friend. It was early labour signs but she was in and out of hospital for 4 days in the end before baby came.

Sounds to me like this is it, but it may be slow to move along. Make the most of it whilst they're manageable and have some nice relaxing baths.

Good luck!

x

Mammina Sat 25-Jul-09 08:25:05

Hi, thanks FickleFairy. 4 days?! Damn. Now I don't know what to do as I am supposed to be going to a wedding today (an hour and a half away) - do I go?! The fact that I'm considering it shows how manageable they are but I've been in bed and am wondering whether moving about will make them stronger..

shootfromthehip Sat 25-Jul-09 08:26:22

Yip sounds like early labour to me too. I also had this for 4 days before being admitted to hospital with my DD. Pre-labour can be a grind as you may not be making any progress but still have contractions every 10 mins (I was knackered before I even got started properly).

Try and get some rest as actual labour may not kick in for a while yet but if my experiences are anything to go by, you'll know ALL about it when it does.

Good luck x

Mammina Sat 25-Jul-09 08:29:32

hmm there was me secretly hoping that somehow my pain tolerance was higher than expected and I was going to have it easy!!

motherbeyond Sat 25-Jul-09 08:31:28

little period pains is how mine started.straight after a sweep,thought it was just the pain from that,but they never went! then progressed.had the sweep on thurs pm...dd was born 7.30 am on sat...2nd time they felt again like little period pains again,on and off,for days!angry
very annoying.Then when when they bacame more intense,i knew it was def labour..had a few contractions..then they completely stopped.
it's a very frustrating business y'know!they eventualluy came back thick and fast on the tue am about 11 am...ds was born 3.30 pm just about made it to the labout suite!!!!smile

if they're every 9 mins , it sounds like things are getting ready to happen...it could take a long time to get down to 5 mins though!!good luck!!!!

justlookatthatbooty Sat 25-Jul-09 08:34:33

I've been having this for about 2.5 weeks now! Hopefully your labour will come along a bit quicker. This is my second....believe others when they say that you WILL know all about it when it's really time. Not a shadow of a doubt. x

FAQtothefuture Sat 25-Jul-09 08:37:27

"believe others when they say that you WILL know all about it when it's really time. Not a shadow of a doubt. "

Well I didn't blush - and it was my 3rd baby (2nd labour - 1st was a CS, second was induced). DS3 I went into labour on my own and still didn't believe I was actually in labour until I got to the hospital "just to see what was happening".

motherbeyond Sat 25-Jul-09 08:37:55

i agree with fickle fairy.have some nice long baths..it may be your lat chance for a bit of 'you time' for oooh,18 years or so?!!
i took advantage of the stopping and starting by, putting a treatment on my hair,then shaving my legs (use conditioner..makes them silky smooth!)and tidying the lady garden,if you've got to have several strangers peering up your lulu...make sure it's presentable!!grin

stubbyfingers Sat 25-Jul-09 08:39:28

How's it going?

I had a sweep at 37+4 and very regular tightenings every 10 mins for about 24 hours. then nothing. then a section at 38+1.

Like you say they were very manageable so i do think in my case at least, it was just some kind of a reaction to the sweep rather than labour. But that's just my experience!

Good luck and I do hope it's happening for you! smile

Mammina Sat 25-Jul-09 08:40:34

oh no you're kidding me, i'm booked in for a c-section on friday so desperate for it to happen before then

LuluMaman Sat 25-Jul-09 08:41:27

cancel your c.section then !! if you want to give labour a go, then go for it

why are you booked for one?

LuluMaman Sat 25-Jul-09 08:41:55

motherbeyond..it's a foofoo, not a lulu!

grinshock grin

Mammina Sat 25-Jul-09 08:45:26

I was thinking of insisting they put the section back til maybe the monday to give me a bit more time.
Booked in for one as had c-section (breech baby) with DD and they don't want to let me go too overdue nor induce me

LuluMaman Sat 25-Jul-09 09:45:04

i don;t see why not ? are you in the UK?

i know a fair few women who have booked an elective for 41 + to give time to go into labour

seeing as about 5 % of women deliver on tehir due date it seems a bit unfair to not let you go over your dates, when more babies are born at 41 weeks than 40

Mammina Sat 25-Jul-09 10:17:30

yes am in UK.
at the moment the section is booked for when i'll be 40+5 so on the monday i'll be 41+1

motherbeyond Sat 25-Jul-09 16:57:12

sorry lulumaman!how very dare i?
shall refrain from calling 'it' that on here..although in our house that's what 'it's' calledgrin

op..any news?hopefully you've stopped posting because you're in the maternity suite cradling your new lo smile

stubbyfingers Sun 26-Jul-09 08:21:58

any news? grin

Mammina Wed 29-Jul-09 00:16:10

well, it was the real thing - went to the wedding on sat still having regular contractions but nothing too bad, and had to leave before dessert (gutted!) as they were 5-6 mins apart. Went home, changed out of wedding clothes, off to hospital and little migoletta was born on sunday morning! grin

footstep Wed 29-Jul-09 03:07:30

Congratulations!

Lovely news. Glad you managed to avoid the section smile.

How are you both doing now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now