Talk

Advanced search

Probably TMI but wondering if anyone experienced this during childbirth.

(13 Posts)
Hollyoaks Fri 24-Jul-09 17:38:49

When I was labouring with dd I felt a gush and thought my waters had broke. DH had a look as I was in too much pain and saw large blood clots hanging out. At this point I was put in a monitor which showed dd was in distress.

My waters were broken by the midwife as I was fully dilated and they got me to push but then I was told to stop till the consultant got there. DD was born by ventouse shortly after this with the cord twice around her neck, it had to be cut before her body was born.

I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced these large blood clots rather than running blood? I also felt pretty ill for a few days after the birth and think it may have been linked to that. Any help would be appreciated grin

SingleMum01 Fri 24-Jul-09 19:45:50

Hi, yes I had large blood clots, after the birth though, just presumed it was normal.

TheOldestCat Fri 24-Jul-09 19:50:46

Yes, I passed clots during labour too - DH tells me that's what the midwives were fishing out of the pool. Not poo. Nope. Definitely not.

Hope someone with more medical know-ho will be along soon.

Hollyoaks Fri 24-Jul-09 22:16:30

Thanks for the info, glad to know its not just me. Wondering whether the clots are linked to her cord being round her neck. Where are they coming from?

Just wondering if it could happen again in a second labour?

liahgen Sat 25-Jul-09 00:35:23

have you not discussed this with a mw since the birth. Sounds like it could have been some placental abruption?

Hard to say without the labour notes TBH. Sorry

Hollyoaks Sat 25-Jul-09 07:57:53

No, will have to ask someone with some. Never thought of that.

SingleMum01 Sat 25-Jul-09 20:48:37

I just thought it was a really heavy clotty period! Doh!

liahgen Sun 26-Jul-09 20:49:27

singlemum after your baby was born, chances are that was what it was, as hollyoaks was in labour at the time and it coincided with baby becoming distressed enough for mw's to want it born now seems to indicate a more serious problem.

Just ask mw's, they'll talk it through with you.

Hollyoaks Mon 27-Jul-09 08:40:57

Thanks for the help, I've tried googleing this and cannot find anything about passing clots during labour. Maybe it was just the uterine lining coming away before she was born (if thats possible?) because my bleeding afterwards was not too heavy. Wonder if that would affect dd though?

Hollyoaks Tue 28-Jul-09 10:09:49

bumping for advice smile

LuluMaman Tue 28-Jul-09 18:14:21

could have been a little bit of the placenta starting to come away

or it could have been from dilation, it is normal to have some blood loss and in fact it is a good sign ( some blood loss, not rivers of it! ) as it shows dilation is occuring

it could simply be due to that and nothing sinister

if you lost a lot of blood during delivery for whatever reason you would have felt a bit ropey

i would discuss with the MW

Hollyoaks Wed 29-Jul-09 09:43:56

Thanks for the advice, I felt awful for the first week after the birth and was monitored really closely in the hospital for the following two days but no one mentioned blood loss or placentas. Think I'm starting to think about it more now as we are going to be ttc our second in the next month.

Hollyoaks Thu 13-Aug-09 16:35:51

Just bumping this to see if anyone else has got any ideas. *Liaghen & Lulu* I have researched placental abruption and apart from losing blood (though clots rather than pouring) I didnt have any of the other symptoms. I'm confused and will probably talk to midwife (ttc dc2 soon) about it but just wondered if anyone had any other thoughts. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now