(10 Posts)
rubyslippers Tue 21-Jul-09 20:33:28

MW says the consultant has to confirm i can use the birth centre

consulatnt says he doesn't have the final say

the head of the BU has left so apparenlty there is no-one to ask hmm

who can i speak to - i really want to use the birthing unit if i can

am technically high risk but first delivery was fine

MrsHappy Tue 21-Jul-09 20:51:50

I would try the consultant midwife and the labour ward manager. Good luck!

Tiredmumno1 Tue 21-Jul-09 20:53:25

Can you not book yourself into your birthing centre?

reikizen Tue 21-Jul-09 20:54:29

Why are you technically high risk?

rubyslippers Tue 21-Jul-09 20:54:34

thanks Mrs happy -

you can't book yourself in ... (well you may be able to in some areas but not here apparently)

rubyslippers Tue 21-Jul-09 20:55:27

history of DVT = high risk

LuluMaman Tue 21-Jul-09 20:57:10

Supervisor of Midwives, consultant midwife too

at the end of the day, you don;t need permission, you can state your infomred decision to deliver at the birthing unit

you had a straghtforward delivery first time,and there is nothing to indicate ( as long as baby turns!) that it wont' be so this time

if you get a lot of opposition, please contact AIMS

reikizen Tue 21-Jul-09 20:59:13

I see, are you taking medication for it? My advice would be speak to the Supervisor of Midwives, the hospital should be able to put you in touch, and ask for their involvement. I think lots of birth centres may be nervous about taking you depending on the seriousness and how recent a DVT you are talking. Is it freestanding or attached to a hospital? Do you have the funds for an independent midwife if necessary, or a doula to support you if you are on a delivery suite?

rubyslippers Tue 21-Jul-09 21:10:35

thank you Reiki and Lulu

the birth centre is attached to the hospital and literally next door to the labour ward so if anything was to happen then i could be moved within minutes

WRT permission my MW told me that if the consultant didn't state his agreement and write it in my notes then i couldn;t use the unit ...

LuluMaman Tue 21-Jul-09 22:02:16

then you must keep pressing him to sign it off

if he won't , then ask for a different consultant

ensure that you speak with the supervisor of midwives, her role is to help you and and advocate for you and help you get the birth you want

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now