Talk

Advanced search

6 weeks post c section: OK to exercise & use sling?

(8 Posts)
greengecko Tue 21-Jul-09 19:19:41

It's almost 6 weeks since my emergency c section. Asked my GP about exercise at 2 weeks and she said to do whatever I felt up to. She also didn't see a problem with me using a sling from then on. This all sounded pretty vague to me. I'm keen to start doing some exercise (eg long walks / yoga / jogging) and to start carting DS around in his Baby Bjorn, but don't want to do myself any lasting damage. Does anyone have any better / more specific advice? Any good books on post c section recovery / exercise?

Schulte Tue 21-Jul-09 20:01:52

Baby Bjorn will be fine, since it's pretty much the same as carrying your baby in your arms, which you do anyway. I started swimming at 6 wks post CS, and went for walks, but when I tried to go to the gym I was told I'd have to wait until 12 wks. Not even yoga. I thought that was a bit OTT tbh but I did stick with the swimming just to be on the safe side.

Congratulations on your baby!

Loopymumsy Wed 22-Jul-09 12:07:56

Message withdrawn

dottyaboutstripes Wed 22-Jul-09 12:22:52

I've been using a Moby Wrap since 2 weeks post section and it's been fine

As for exercise - I am a bit in the dark about that as well and can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone about what's ok and when???? I had my postnatal appt with the GP yesterday (DS will be 8 weeks tomorrow) and she said she recommends all c-section mums wait at least 3 months before doing anything strenuous or lifting anything heavy......

greengecko Thu 23-Jul-09 12:05:52

Thanks for all the advice. Think I'll dig out the sling now and start doing some longer walks but will wait a few more weeks before doing any proper exercise. Curious about GP advice not to lift anything heavy for 3 months. My GP advised me not to lift heavy shopping etc until 6 weeks, but not sure it makes that much difference when I've been carting my fairly hefty DS all over the place for weeks now hmm.

Chynah Fri 31-Jul-09 11:19:34

I think as with pregnancy - it depends how fit you are and what your body is used to. I was out running again 5 weeks after my section and driving (& carrying DS round in car seat or sling after 2). I had a really good recovery too.

trustno1 Wed 29-Jun-11 13:56:39

Please advice wat nutritional pattern should i follow after pregnancy!

diyqueen Wed 29-Jun-11 17:58:31

I wondered about this too but in the end just got on with what I wanted and stopped if I got tired/felt sore. I think the advice is vague because everyone's different in terms of fitness/how the cs and your recovery go etc. I was quite shocked at how rubbish my fitness was when I started trying to do things like mow the lawn - was knackered after 20 mins when I used to be quite fit - and you may find that this limits you anyway. I think it was about 10 weeks before I started feeling like my tummy muscles worked again, and before that there were things that I just looked at and thought, no, I just physically can't lift that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now