Talk

Advanced search

Doulas - qualified or trainee?

(9 Posts)
jammydonut Sun 19-Jul-09 19:52:14

Please help - I'm planning a home birth and the midwives at St. George's have suggested I hire a Doula. Although having the extra support sounds wonderful, they don't exactly come cheap (around £800 for one antenatal visit, the birth and two postnatal visits). Can anyone recommend a Wandsworth based Doula who's worth every penny or a trainee who I imagine would charge considerably less?

GinaFordAteMyBaby Sun 19-Jul-09 22:21:54

Trainee doulas are only supposed to charge £150, so a lot less. If nobody comes back with any recommendations you can go to www.doula.org.uk and do a postcode search so it will show you qualified and trainee doulas in your area. Most have some blurb or links to websites so you can see if there's anyone you like the look of.

jammydonut Mon 20-Jul-09 08:44:47

Thank you! There's nothing 'wrong' with getting a trainee is there? A Doula's role is primarily one of emotional support so just having them there is the main thing, right?

Picante Mon 20-Jul-09 08:52:57

My doula's just finished her training so she's charging more than £150 but not much more. At the end of the day I chose her on personality and how well we clicked not on how much experience she had.

jammydonut Mon 20-Jul-09 09:34:39

Thanks Picante. I agree it comes down to how well you get on with each other.

liahgen Mon 20-Jul-09 14:53:49

Can I just add that now it's £200 for a trainee.

jammy A trainee is someone who hasn't supported 4 qualified births, Ie you can only attend one section, any more wouldn't count, so even if you have a trainee it doesn't neccessarily mean they've only supported 2 biths for example.. (did that make sense).

Your location is great for Kent and SE london, which hospital are you going to?

£800 is top end price, I charge £400 at the moment and am fully recognised, thinking of increasing later in the year but in the current climate, I don't want to price out people who couldn't afford support but don't qualify for the hardship fund.

That said, I've yet to meet anyone who would say that their Doula wasn't worth every penny however much she cost.

Hope you get sorted soon, x

jammydonut Wed 22-Jul-09 07:59:28

Hi Liahge - I'm in Wandsworth, SW London and planning a home birth with a midwife from St. George's Hospital.

liahgen Wed 22-Jul-09 08:48:56

I know a lovely new Doula who covers your area.

Email me if you want to chat

lctwalters@sky.com

SunshineDoula Thu 20-Aug-09 20:09:04

Hi jammydonut
i'm a qualified doula in wimbledon, sW london but I am in touch with a lot of wonderful trainees / newly qualified doulas so would be happy to put you in touch.
Please let me know if I can be of help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now