Talk

Advanced search

How will the midwife know i've had the baby?

(11 Posts)
avariceandlatinos Sun 19-Jul-09 12:10:23

Since i'm probably not going to be giving birth in my local hospital if i'm on my travels, do i need to personally alert a midwife to come out an visit me the day after as they are supposed to?? I'd ask my community midwife this question but she never answers the phone.

avariceandlatinos Sun 19-Jul-09 12:10:48

or will the hospital liase for me?

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Sun 19-Jul-09 12:11:52

As the hospital inform the midwife I would assume they would inform one in your area.
I had some appointments in another HA and they notified my local team of them.

expertinscunthorpe Sun 19-Jul-09 19:43:55

I had DD out of area and my community m/w from my home PCT just turned up the day after we were discharged. No idea how she knew but she did.

EccentricaGallumbits Sun 19-Jul-09 19:49:37

I so wanted to say it was magic but....

Wherever you have babe will inform whichever community midwife you will need.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 19-Jul-09 19:51:42

My midwife came to visit me in the hospital the day after DD was born as she was already there for a meeting, she popped in to say hi and see DD!

StealthPolarBear Sun 19-Jul-09 19:52:13

I would imagine they'll inform your GP surgery

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Sun 19-Jul-09 19:52:45

I am not sure how she would normally have known, but DH phoned her to tell her!

We had a great relationship with her though, due to personal circumstances I was going through, so she asked us to call her and let her know as soon as i gave birth.

Aranea Sun 19-Jul-09 19:53:42

What a great thread title. I was rather disappointed to find it was a perfectly sensible question.

StealthPolarBear Sun 19-Jul-09 19:54:41

yes I thought that!
Tiny person between legs <check>
woman stopped screaming <check>
yep, she's had it!

Andthentherewerethree Sun 19-Jul-09 20:03:33

when i worked on the post natal ward, if we had a lady form 'out of area' we rang her hospital community midwifes office and informed them that mother and baby would be discharged on x date to y address, and gave detaisl fo type of delivery and any importnant information, beofre faxing across the discharge summary.
the discharge summary is faxed to your registered gp and the community office so they are aware that you had your baby. i'm sure this would be a fairly standard procedure for most hospitals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now