Talk

Advanced search

SPD and homebirth

(6 Posts)
Flamesparrow Sun 19-Jul-09 10:48:02

MN diagnosis says I have SPD (seeing midwife on Weds, but all my various research since it was suggested screams that MN are right wink).

I have planned for a homebirth.

I am not a foot stamping, homebirth right demanding pregnant woman though. I want one if it is the right thing to do, but I will not put myself or my child at risk purely because I "want" one iyswim.

So, 2 pregnancies with not a hint of SPD, and now the third where I have been barely moving the last 2 days

Is it going to cause complications for HB? Should I be changing to midwife led and quick discharge?

Hoping for water birth.

rubyslippers Sun 19-Jul-09 11:01:13

i also have SPD

as far as i know, there is no reason why you can't have a home birth

you need to be really careful with positioning during the birth - ie try not to be flat on your back with your legs wide open

i had SPD with my first (high risk so hospital delivery)

think the water would really help you -

this is all opinion BTW!

have you spoken to your MW yet?

GreenMonkies Sun 19-Jul-09 11:11:16

I had savage SPD (in every joint in my body, not just my pelvis!) when pg with DD2, I had a lovely, easy, painless homebirth, and my joint pain was never even discussed as a reason to go into hospital.

Get a birthing/gym ball and sit on it, it will help to strengthen your core muscles and really helped my back pain. I leaned on it (knees on the floor, chest and arms and chin on the ball) to give birth, didn't have to spread my legs wide like a hospital-on-your-back-in-stirrups birth so the SPD was never an issue with my labour or birth.

Good luck and Happy Homebirth!!

Reallytired Sun 19-Jul-09 15:43:43

I had hideous SPD and I had a lovely homebirth. It was very quick and easy.

SPD is caused by an excessive amount of the hormone relaxin. It makes your joints so relaxed that the baby passes through your pelvis easily. The reason you have so much pain with SPD is that the relaxin makes your joints so lax that you find it a nightmare to walk.

Homebirths are great for SPD because there is no temptation to ask for an epidural.

Disenchanted3 Sun 19-Jul-09 15:46:30

I've had 2 homebirths both with SPD, very bad SPD with the last one from 14 weeks pregnant,

the water will actually help your SPD during labour, theres no reason it will stop your homebirth.

Flamesparrow Sun 19-Jul-09 18:44:46

Thank you That is all sooooooooooooo reassuring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now