Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had an epidural first time round and determined to avoid it this time?

(21 Posts)
Picante Sat 18-Jul-09 17:54:37

... and panicking?!!

I'm planning a homebirth so no chance of one, and I just feel more clued up about the cons of an epidural, and have realised that ds's birth was not one I wanted to repeat.

But I'm scared of the pain! And I know there's someone in a white coat who can make the pain go away!

Anyone been through this or currently pg and planning to avoid one? Like to hold hands? grin

iamamummy Sat 18-Jul-09 18:01:20

You sound exactly the same as me. Ds1 was a planned home birth but i ended up transfering to hospital due to him being back to back for an epidural. Ds2 is due im september and i really am worried about the pain especially tearing and stitches as i am hoping for a home birth to the end this time.

Mamazon Sat 18-Jul-09 18:03:26

i had an epidural first time round and was adament that i wouldn't have one with DD.

at one stage i did ask for it ut it was too late. i am really glad it was.

DD was delivered quickly and stress free unlike DS. i had nothing, not even a paracetomol.

you will be fine, your body will take over and you will be incredibly proud of yourself once baby is born.

good luck

motherpi Sat 18-Jul-09 18:07:46

You will be fine smile

My first birth was consultant-led with pethidin, epidural and ventouse. My second was in a midwife-led hospital, I laboured for less than three hours and had a natural birth.

The second was by far the most enjoyable!

Good luck smile

motherpi Sat 18-Jul-09 18:11:02

Oh forgot. Had third-degree tear and episiotomy on first, too!

Dc2 was back to back, but the midwives told me it is rarely an issue second time around, and they were right.

Celery Sat 18-Jul-09 18:13:03

I had an epidural, episiotomy etc with first baby and went on to have two homebirths with gas and air. It's normal to get panicky and scared about the birth, no matter how many times you've done it, and no matter what type of pain relief you've had in the past.

You're much less likely to tear if you have a homebirth and are able to move around and say upright.

I found that whilst I was very apprehensive on the lead up to the births ( the third time, I was the most terrified ), when labour actually started, I got into the zone and the fear disappeared.

expatinscotland Sat 18-Jul-09 18:13:16

I had one first time round and not for the second and I wish I had!

I had another epi with no. 3 because I didn't want to feel the pain I had with DD2 (no drugs).

Picante Sat 18-Jul-09 20:04:37

Thanks all (apart from expat of course wink.

Just need some self-belief!

Any other experiences?

littlelamb Sat 18-Jul-09 20:07:13

Completely doable. I had dd with an epidural, she was back to back and I was induced. Ds was also back to back, but I kept upright the whole time and the whole labour was 3.5 hours and wonderful. If you get the chance, read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth. It really helped me believe I coul do it. I was on such a high after ds's birth, I was so pleased I had been able to do it, after feeling pretty powerless after dd's.

PennyBenjamin Sat 18-Jul-09 21:09:09

A bit like Littlelamb, I was induced with DS, who was back to back. I managed 12 hours on gas & air, but eventually ended up with an epidural, vontuse and forceps.

The epidural was necessary at the time, as I was exhausted and only 3cm dilated after 12 hours, but I'm certainly not one of those people who claim it was the best thing ever, and they'd have one at the start next time. Yes, it took the pain away, but it also made me feel out of control, removed from the birth itself, and it was incredibly difficult to know how to push when I couldn't feel anything.

I am pregnant again, and if I can possibly do without one this time, I will. I'm reading Ina May Gaskin, and also Gowri Motha.

Reallytired Sat 18-Jul-09 21:48:50

I had an epidural with my first baby and nothing but TENS with my second. I had a homebirth for my second baby. I had no need of gas and air.

Most people find second babies much easier to deliver. Your body has done it before and is more lax. Also being at home is more relaxing than a hospital. There is no rush to get to the hospital, no stress about parking and with a homebirth you get one to one care.

I found that self hypnosis helped me. I did a natal hypnotheraphy couse in Ewell. Its a lot cheaper than hypnobirthing and very similar ideas. Or you can buy CDs off Ebay to see if its for you.

Northerngirldownsouth Sat 18-Jul-09 22:04:14

Motherpi is almost the same as me!

DS1 I was induced, had an episiotomy and tear (BIG head!) and epi which made for a pretty rubbish experience for days afterwards.

DS2 Was back to back and when I asked for an epi the midwives laughed and said it was much too late! Labour went v quickly (4cm to 10cm in 40 mins shock) and was 100% better than first time. I was on a natural high having managed it on my own as I'm normally a total pain wuss. (and I also had a (single!) stich which was more bearable)

I would consider HB for DC3 as I think letting your body do what it wants makes the whole thing easier.

I was told something useful - the epi will help at the time but will make intervention much more likely and you will feel more pain afterwards. Its a trade-off.

Just believe in yourself. And trust your midwife to know whats right for you.

Picante Sun 19-Jul-09 08:24:13

Littlelamb my doula's lent me that book - I shall get stuck in.

Well hopefully in a few weeks you'll see a birth announcement from me that does not involve an epidural!

gigglinggoblin Sun 19-Jul-09 08:33:41

I had an epi with no.1 and was bullied into it with no.2. Make sure your birth partner knows in advance in case you get a mw like mine!

No.3 was a water birth and was brill. I cannot recommend it enough! I had constant excruciating pain in my back and the second I got in the water it diappeared completely. I still felt the contractions but I could cope with those, it was the constant pain that didnt go away was the problem, especially as it seemed to be pointless.

Good luck!

JemL Tue 21-Jul-09 13:52:39

I think not being able to have an epidural as an option (ie being at home) would be a big help. I had an epidural with DS1 only after being moved from midwife led unit, where it wasn't an option, to a consultant led ward, where it was - obviously other interventions were a factor in my asking for one, but also just the fact I knew I could have one if I wanted was an influence. I'm hoping to avoid it this time.
Good luck!

dinkystinky Thu 23-Jul-09 21:31:39

I had an epidural with DS1 - induction and bitch of a midwife who basically bullied me into it.

With DS2 I was determined to avoid it as the epidural was one reason why DS1 ended up in special care (evil midwife kept topping up every time I told her I could feel pressure in my bum - turned out was DS1 ready to come out for 2 hours before she finally checked to tell me I was fully dilated and he was incredibly distressed) - I did a hypnobirthing course to help me get my head in the right place and ended up having an entirely natural - and very fast - birth with DS2, giving birth in the pool. It was a totally different experience and so healing in so many ways.

lechatnoir Fri 24-Jul-09 21:15:09

i had an epidural with DS1 following a very long back-to-back induced labour and was determind not to go down the same route the 2nd time so booked into a birthing centre s there was no temptation.

I delivered DS2 (all 9lb 10oz of him!) without even a sniff of the gas & air (still not sure why just happened that way!) and whilst I can safely say it hurt like buggery it was a far far more positive experience than DS1 labour. I felt a huge sense of achievement afterwards plus was amazed how clear in the head I was & how lovely to walk yourself into the shower & put some clean clothes on soon after giving birth grin
Good luck & I'm sure you'll get the birth you want this time.
LCN

Eddas Fri 24-Jul-09 21:24:19

I had one with dd, she was induced after going quite a way overdue, and it was painful and long.

I wasn't opposed to one with ds but I didn't have one! I called for one when the pain got very intense and they were still saying I could have hours to go, but they were wrong and I was too far along to have one in time! So I ended up with just gas and air for ds' birth and I have to say it was much better than dd's birth. I also felt better afterwards.

TBH I'm not sure if it was not having the epidural or being the 2nd birth, or the fact I wasn't induced but whatever it was I think I'd go for no epidural next time. Not that next time will happen but IF I ever had another baby then I would try without!

superdenki Fri 24-Jul-09 21:35:06

I had an epidural with dc 1, like many above posters he was overdue, large and back to back and my labour just wasn't progressing well. At the time I was hugely relieved to have the epidural and more than anything, to deliver my baby (eventually by forceps after a failed ventouse attempt) safely and without having to have an emergency cs. it didn't hurt at the time, obviously, but it took a long time to recover afterwards.
With the second one, I went to the hospital at half eight on a Saturday night, had her at ten to one in the morning and was home again by Sunday lunchtime. Felt great - and 'normal' so much more quickly. When I went into the hospital I was all up for taking as much pain relief as I could, but the mw persuaded me to get into the bath and once I got in I wouldn't get out. It took away most of the back pain (another back to back labour) and the weight off my feet. I didn't even have any gas and air because I can't stand the stuff - so against all my preconceptions I am now one of those women who had a good pain relief-free birth!
I did have a bloody massive 2nd degree tear which took ages to sew up, but that's the only down side and no worse than the episiotomy I had with the first one.
best of luck to you!

thisisyesterday Fri 24-Jul-09 21:40:26

i was you about 2 years ago! lol

with ds1 I had gas and air, pethidine, then epidural followed with a ventouse delivery.
At the time I didn't realise all the down-sides of having an epidural, and with my next pregnancy I was determined to avoid one.

like you I had also planned a homebirth and I have to admit I was very scared that I wouldn't be able to handle the pain.
But you know what? It was fantastic. It wasz just the best birth experience ever and I came out of it feeling so bloody proud of myself.
I gave birth to ds2 at home, with no pain relief at all (they didn't offer, I didn't ask). he was 9lb 5 and back to back.

I had ds3 at home as well, 6 weeks ago. 9lb 11. no pain relief, born in 45 mins lol

I think that being in your own home, being so relaxed, doing things your own wayand being able to move about and figure out where/how you want to labour is a HUGELY important part of a good labour.

lou031205 Fri 24-Jul-09 22:29:54

My friend gave birth this morning & avoided a 2nd epidural. 19 hour labour, all well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now