Talk

Advanced search

'quicker' labour after previous c-section?

(10 Posts)
abitclueless Fri 17-Jul-09 15:57:10

am a regular and have name changed because am embarrassed about the potential ridiculousness of this questions - I was just wondering - I had an elective c-section last time bec. of a breech presentation, so didn't actually go through labour (although I was apparently in the first stages but hadn't noticed) - so, because my body hasn't actually done it before will it be like a first time birth or will it be slightly quicker {hopes} because I have been pregnant before...?

Pinkjenny Fri 17-Jul-09 15:58:22

Aha, I have also been wondering this.

<lurks>

HeadFairy Fri 17-Jul-09 15:59:14

<watches thread with interest>

I'm in the same boat, my sister can't get it in her head that this will be effectively my first birth as last time I had cs at 39+1. She keeps saying "oh second births are much quicker" duuuuurrrrr! This isn't my second birth!

abitclueless Fri 17-Jul-09 15:59:24

glad it's not just me then!

reikizen Fri 17-Jul-09 16:02:00

It will be like a first labour simply because your body has never laboured before regardless of the fact you have been pregnant before. However, the fact that you were in the 'first stages' which I am taking to mean there were some changes to your cervix, will probably be of some benefit. And it is not a ridiculous question at all, it's a very sensible one! I hope you are getting support for a VBAC if that's what you choose. The MIDIRS informed choice leaflets are very good for helping you to make a decision.

abitclueless Fri 17-Jul-09 16:04:56

bugger!
thanks reikizen. by 'first stages' what I meant was that the monitor showed that I was having regular contractions..

yes am going for VBAC (due in just over a week) but not actually having much support, just kind of getting on with it really.

GreenPeas Fri 17-Jul-09 16:09:49

I was in this situation as well with my second (DD was a CS for breech but I was having early contractions as my waters broke). The midwife in charge of the unit where I went for my VBAC spent a long time telling me it would be like a first labour and that I'd probably be in pre-labour for ages. As it was, DS turned up pretty promptly - just over six hours from "was that a contraction?" to "hello baby"!

Hope everything goes well with your VBAC.

abitclueless Fri 17-Jul-09 16:12:46

thanks greenpeas, that's encouraging
I guess it will take as long as it takes!

HeadFairy Fri 17-Jul-09 16:15:17

Oh dear, there goes my plan for a nice quick labour too, I wasn't even in the early stages.

HeadFairy Fri 17-Jul-09 16:16:04

When I said "I wasn't even in the early stages" I meant when I had my cs, not right now... dc not due for 5 months!!! Pregnancy brain attacks again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now