Talk

Advanced search

'quicker' labour after previous c-section?

(10 Posts)
abitclueless Fri 17-Jul-09 15:57:10

am a regular and have name changed because am embarrassed about the potential ridiculousness of this questions - I was just wondering - I had an elective c-section last time bec. of a breech presentation, so didn't actually go through labour (although I was apparently in the first stages but hadn't noticed) - so, because my body hasn't actually done it before will it be like a first time birth or will it be slightly quicker {hopes} because I have been pregnant before...?

Pinkjenny Fri 17-Jul-09 15:58:22

Aha, I have also been wondering this.

<lurks>

HeadFairy Fri 17-Jul-09 15:59:14

<watches thread with interest>

I'm in the same boat, my sister can't get it in her head that this will be effectively my first birth as last time I had cs at 39+1. She keeps saying "oh second births are much quicker" duuuuurrrrr! This isn't my second birth!

abitclueless Fri 17-Jul-09 15:59:24

glad it's not just me then!

reikizen Fri 17-Jul-09 16:02:00

It will be like a first labour simply because your body has never laboured before regardless of the fact you have been pregnant before. However, the fact that you were in the 'first stages' which I am taking to mean there were some changes to your cervix, will probably be of some benefit. And it is not a ridiculous question at all, it's a very sensible one! I hope you are getting support for a VBAC if that's what you choose. The MIDIRS informed choice leaflets are very good for helping you to make a decision.

abitclueless Fri 17-Jul-09 16:04:56

bugger!
thanks reikizen. by 'first stages' what I meant was that the monitor showed that I was having regular contractions..

yes am going for VBAC (due in just over a week) but not actually having much support, just kind of getting on with it really.

GreenPeas Fri 17-Jul-09 16:09:49

I was in this situation as well with my second (DD was a CS for breech but I was having early contractions as my waters broke). The midwife in charge of the unit where I went for my VBAC spent a long time telling me it would be like a first labour and that I'd probably be in pre-labour for ages. As it was, DS turned up pretty promptly - just over six hours from "was that a contraction?" to "hello baby"!

Hope everything goes well with your VBAC.

abitclueless Fri 17-Jul-09 16:12:46

thanks greenpeas, that's encouraging
I guess it will take as long as it takes!

HeadFairy Fri 17-Jul-09 16:15:17

Oh dear, there goes my plan for a nice quick labour too, I wasn't even in the early stages.

HeadFairy Fri 17-Jul-09 16:16:04

When I said "I wasn't even in the early stages" I meant when I had my cs, not right now... dc not due for 5 months!!! Pregnancy brain attacks again!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: