Talk

Advanced search

How long till I feel 'better'?

(10 Posts)
Beccabump Fri 17-Jul-09 15:48:15

Not sure this is the right place to ask but I know lots of people posting on here have had DC's before!

I had my DS two weeks ago today. Very fast labour after induction (2.5 hours) and his head and body were born in two pushes leaving me with a whole lot of bruising and a few tears.

My mw checked me on Monday and took out some of the stitches as they were catching every time I moved/sat up/rolled over in bed! She said I was still quite 'black and blue' down there. I also have quite a deep tear to the back of my bits high up and the stitches are starting to pull there now.

What I want to know is - when will this bruising start to feel better??? I can manage for about half a day before I get really bad pain down there. I am taking paracetamol and ibuprofen, arnica and having tea tree oil baths to help with the healing (all healing well, no infections).

It is really making me miserable now as I can't do much with DD and I spend most of my time having to rest or lie on my side to relieve the pain.

I can't remember feeling like this with DD despite the fact I had an episiotomy and stitches with her.

Hoping someone can help

xxx

2009 Fri 17-Jul-09 18:02:57

It was a while ago now, but I remember having bruising and tenderness for at least 3 weeks after DS1 was born. Stitches took a long time to heal too.
Hope you feel better soon. Perhaps take some arnica, if you are positively inclined towards homeopathy.

MummyDragon Fri 17-Jul-09 21:02:58

It definitely took me a good few weeks before I stopped feeling sore after episiotomy and stitches.

Ice packs helped quite a bit. Yes, I put them in my knickers (wrapped in a pillowcase). Keep taking the arnica. You could try witch hazel soaked on a sanitary towel too. It won't last for ever, honestly. Congratulations on your DS!

coffeechat Sat 18-Jul-09 23:10:35

I am in a similar situation, had my DS2 4 weeks ago and had a 2nd degree tear which still hasnt healed also still very swollen down there. I keep going back to the docs but they say it will heal evenytually. Totally synpathise with you as I find it hard to be active with my four year old and by the evening am really sore. Sorry I cant help, just thought you might like to hear from someone in same boat! Hope you feel better soon x

nosleeptilbedtime Sun 19-Jul-09 17:44:39

Please don't worry, you will feel better but it might take time. I had this with DC2 3 months ago and it took me 6 weeks to feel ok again after my nasty deep forceps delivery. I honestly thought I would never feel normal again but 6 weeks on I was fine.
Can you ask for some diclofenac (sp) from gp? That stuff is great, I also had codine to alternate. You have to keep on top of your pain while you are healing. Baths and lying on side are good, tea tree oil good.
Hope you feel better soon.

GinaFordAteMyBaby Mon 20-Jul-09 11:56:13

Vitamin C and zinc are supposed to promote healing and should be easy to get hold of. Comfrey is also supposed to be good although I haven't tried that myself

TotalChaos Mon 20-Jul-09 11:58:33

I felt rough for 6 weeks. I would ask MW if there is any chance of you having physio to help with the bruising/swelling (I was very fortunate, when I was on the postnatal ward a physio came round offering me a quick go with some ultrasound, that made a real difference very quickly).

TheProvincialLady Mon 20-Jul-09 12:02:27

It can take a long time unfortunatelysad I remember feeling like you with DS1 but luckily with DS2 the whole thing was so much better managed.

It sounds to me like you need better pain management. Can you ring your MW and ask her to organise you some diclofenac? (it is safe with BF). You can also buy some Vagisil, which is a local anaesthetic cream meant for your bits - it's about £6.

Filofax Mon 20-Jul-09 13:11:17

Hi and Congratulations

My first delivery was forceps/episiotomy and its really debilitating when the days turn into weeks and you are still in pain. I can remember trying to breastfeed on all fours and standing up to eat meals.

Would second those suggesting diclofenac and codene. My GP said to me it was a guessing game trying to get the correct pain dosage without sedating the patient, so in my view keep on at them. Sometimes we need something stronger than sympathy. x

Linapie Mon 20-Jul-09 13:41:52

Hello,

It WILL get better. I had a haematoma after the birth of my DD 4 months ago for which I needed an operation. It was very sore for a couple of weeks, maybe 3 or so, but it got better. I found that sitting/leaning on a hot water bottle helped a lot, as did codeine. I was on lots of painkillers/anti-inflammatories and Diclofenac was one of them, I think it also helps with the swelling.

Walking also helped.

It's very frustrating as I found I couldn't really enjoy my time with DD, and you obviously have 2 DC to think about. If you have family/friends around, perhaps they can help you out with the more strenuous things or cook for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now