Talk

Advanced search

How late did you go to hospital during labour?

(11 Posts)
KathleenMay Wed 15-Jul-09 16:35:43

I'm only 27 weeks. I was toying with the idea of a home birth I like the sound of being in my own space and having home comforts, and not being stuck on a ward afterwards (I hear lots of labour stories that go well but far fewer aftercare ones that sound as good!).

Not sure I'm brave enough for a home birth, this is my first, and our little house is sooo tiny... but definitely intend to stay at home as long as I can so I'm not in labour in hospital for too ages! They say to some in when contractions are 5 mins apart, but just wondering what other women's experiences are for how late they stayed at home, or any near misses on getting there on time...?

nigglewiggle Wed 15-Jul-09 16:46:48

I felt exactly the same as you with first DD. Planned to stay at home as long as possible, stay active, eat and drink etc. I wanted a waterbirth so I rang delivery suite to let them know things had started at 3am. They advised bath, paracetamol and see how things progressed.

Things moved quickly for us and at 6am I was in the bath and DH said he thought we ought to head in to hospital at contractions were about 6 mins apart and we are 25 mins from hosp in good traffic and rush-hour was about to start. We got to hospital at 7am, I was 7cm (much to MW's surprise) DD was born an hour later! There wasn't time to fill the birthing pool!

Buoyed on by this, I had a wonderful homebirth for DD2.

alison56 Wed 15-Jul-09 19:40:10

I would have your first in hospital and see how you go. My first labour was very long (42 hours) and I was glad of the pain relief.

My second labour was much shorter (I arrived ten minutes before the baby was born) - this took me by surprise!

I'm not planning a third but I'd consider a homebirth on the basis that the two previous birts were without complication. Until you've had your first, you don't know how you cope.

Tamarto Wed 15-Jul-09 19:44:15

I never had regular contractions with any of my three, staying at home as long as you feel you can is a good idea although i did that with my first and when i did phone them they were not keen for me to go in, had no regular contractions no waters broken, despite that he was born an hour and a half after i got there!

You don't have to stay in hospital for long after unless there are any complications so that is also an option.

Mammina Wed 15-Jul-09 19:55:33

I am considered 'high risk' as I had a c-section (for breech) last time and have group B strep, but at the last appt the midwife told me to go to the hospital when the contractions were 3 minutes apart hmm

nigglewiggle Wed 15-Jul-09 20:05:39

What alison says makes sense and it's how I felt. However, lots of women have a Home Birth with their first. You can have gas and air and pethidin for pain relief and you can hire birthing pools. Also, you can always change your mind and go in if you decide you need something more.

There is a school of thought that says that your labour is likely to progress more quickly if you are active, at home, rather than laying in a hospital bed.

HTH

cat64 Wed 15-Jul-09 20:34:46

Message withdrawn

Piffle Wed 15-Jul-09 20:37:50

Ds1- 9 minutes
Dd- 3 minutes
Ds2- homebirth transfer as stop start labour. Born 6 minutes after arriving.
I hate hospitals ;)

puffylovett Wed 15-Jul-09 20:41:49

My contractions were 4 mins apart & I was really starting to feel it. The midwives reluctantly said OK come in then, I was 6cm when I got there and he was born 2 hours later.

I wanted a home birth, but didn't get it and that's what I'm aiming for this time as I HATED the hospital. The birthing room was quite good, it was quiet and dim - it was the shitty aftercare (4 hour checkout option took 10 hours grrr)

I'd go in when you feel that you just can't cope anymore and the contractions are coming regularly. A good tip - get DH to write them down (times,, lengths etc) - it gives em something to do !

KathleenMay Wed 15-Jul-09 21:31:55

Thanks for all the replies! I do think I'll go to the hospital this time, as a few said there I cant be sure it will be smooth as I've no history to judge by. I'm doing well in pregnancy but thats no guarantee.

I'm based in belfast and will be going to the Royal Maternity there... I've heard good stories about the labour care there but horrendous stories about the after care! Women with C-sections being just left even though they cant get to hungry crying babies, girls not being helped with latching on, being told they are bad for not breast feeding, having dummies taken off babies as they were 'hiding the fact that a mother wasnt feeding the baby'... all from girls I know, who were first time mums, and were all in tears with the level of 'care' they got!

I think there is a special private ward you can go to after birth for about £100 a night... same cost as a hotel hmm

Definitely going to stay at home as long as I can though. And get away quickly afterwards I hope, all going well...

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 21:41:14

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now