Talk

Advanced search

Question - is induction possible if previous pregnancy ended in c-section?

(29 Posts)
YeahBut Thu 19-May-05 16:57:11

Probably a very daft question but the thought of being induced again after last time is the one thing making me think twice about going for another child! The induction failed (completely!) and I ended up with a c-section. Have heard that a previous section rules out an induction in following pregnancies but wondered if anyone knows where I can get reliable info on this. Thanks in advance.

cori Thu 19-May-05 17:15:34

I had a failed induction followed by ceaserean with my DS. I recently had a miscarriage, but I questioned midwives on this at length and was told that previous c section rules out induction. I think this is because induction make contractions stronger, and therefor greater risk of scar ruptureing.
They can still do a sweep though. ( whatever that means)

NotQuiteCockney Thu 19-May-05 17:23:51

Different hospitals have different policies. My midwife was opposed, my hospital was willing to induce. We decided to just have the section, after my waters broke, the head wouldn't engage, and I wasn't even effaced, after weeks of pre-labour.

In other words, you can get an induction if you want one, I guess, but you can certainly choose not to be induced. (A sweep is fine - that's when they essentially poke you in the cervix to kick off labour.)

Gwenick Thu 19-May-05 17:25:18

My hopsital was the one that suggested me being induced after my waters broke and labour failed to start - and I'd had a CS first time round

pupuce Thu 19-May-05 17:34:54

It's on a case by case basis and more importantly you can decline to be induced.
As a birth doula, about 2 months ago, my client wanted a VBAC but was not going to be induced at all (no sweep, no reflexology, etc) she ended in an elective at 42 weeks- very much her choice.

Ellbell Thu 19-May-05 21:18:40

Previous c-section doesn't rule out induction, but - as with so many of these things - it depends a bit on your hospital. However, you can definitely say that you'd like to try for a VBAC, but that if you don't go into labour naturally by (say) 42 weeks, then you'd like an elective section rather than to be induced. This is exactly what I did. I had an elective section with dd1. Really wanted a VBAC with dd2, but for various reasons would not have let them induce me. (1) The risks of scar rupture are noticeably higher with induced labours. (2) I had heard from several friends that induced labours are MUCH more painful and I knew that I didn't want an epidural, because of the risk that it might mask any unusual pain coming from the scar (i.e. suggesting a rupture) rather than just from contractions.
HTH

eidsvold Thu 19-May-05 22:47:11

my consultant was reluctant to induce after a previous c-section- was very happy for me to try for a vbac provided I went into labour on my own. Dd2 showed no signs of appearing up to 10 days after due date and so I chose to have an elective caesarean.

Ellbell Fri 20-May-05 10:24:02

Don't know where the dots came from. I thought I'd ended the message by saying 'Good luck'... My computer does wierd things at times.

kazoo Fri 20-May-05 17:07:31

Not a daft question at all because I was thinking the same thing in january. I had my ds by c-section in nov 2003 and was induced for my dd born 19th jan 2005. Although my consultant was initially keen for me to try a vbac, 3 wks before the due date he tried to get me to have a planned c-section because of the risk of rupturing the scar. I kept refusing and wanted to go into labour naturally. When this didn't happen I was reassured by another consultant at the same hospital that it was very rare for scars to rupture, even in births as close as my two, and i could be induced. I was warned that they would only use two gels and if nothing happened it was a straight c-section. Luckily the second gel started my contractions. I was also told beforehand that they wouldn't use the drip because it would make the conractions too strong and make the chance of rupturing higher. However, I started pushing and after 30 mins the contractions tailed off and they put me on the drip. Anyway my dd was eventually born vaginally. I think some consultants are just too over cautious. I am really glad I didn't opt for the planned c-section as recovery was a lot quicker this time round.

Prufrock Fri 20-May-05 20:46:44

I was induced first time at 36.5 weeks and ended up with an emergency section. I had to deliver by 37 weeks 2nd time too and my consultant was prepared to induce if I wanted to have a trial of labour, but was also very happy to accede to my request for an elective section.

nooka Fri 20-May-05 21:24:12

I had an induction after a previous c-section, with a 16 month gap between the two. The consultant suggested it as an option as 3 days after my waters broke I still hadn't gone into labour. It was a terrible idea, very painful/distressing and I ended up with c-section anyway. I ever had another baby (unlikely as dh has had the snip) I would go straight for a c-section. However I don't think that the pain was anything to do with my scar, just the effects of syntocin.

Joseyjo Sun 22-May-05 09:52:21

YeahBut - I have been told that it totally depends on the cs that you have first time round. My circumstances (proper emergency scarey stuff under general and v v small baby) mean that I am not even going to be allowed to labour so induction is totally off the menu. Having said that, labouring (whether under induction or not) is supposed to be slightly higher risk after a cs anyway. every case is individual, so i would ask talk to someone about your notes and then you will have a better idea. your gp may be able to arrange for you to discuss your hospital notes with a feto-maternal consultant before you make your decision.

good luck anyway!!

uwila Sun 22-May-05 14:05:51

I had an emergency c-section with DD two years ago, and chose to have an elective at 38 weeks +4 (on last Thursday) because I didn't want to go into labour. I didn't want a VBAC -- not after my last experience of labour (which was induced). And I most certainly didn't want to be induced. You can definitely decline this option. But, if you want to be induced you can probably find someone who will do that too. However, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are willing to risk scar rupture.

YeahBut Sun 22-May-05 14:11:28

Is there anywhere that I can go which will give me the "official" guidelines for midwives / obstetricians? I'd like to be clued up on this.

pupuce Sun 22-May-05 15:12:58

Look for the caesarean section guidelines on NICE.
Uwila you can rupture a uterus section or not.... risks of scar rupture after a section a rare in the UK.

CarolinaMoon Sun 22-May-05 15:44:43

here's the link

page 23, paras 1.8.2 and 1.8.4

Mum2girls Sun 22-May-05 15:50:52

I had an elective C-sect with DD1 (breach) and was induced second time round, exactly 2 yrs later. They kept a close watch on my scar, but I had no probs.

puddytats Sun 22-May-05 15:56:36

I had c section first time round, was keen to give birth naturally 2nd time as not so easy to chase after toddler after c section!

I was induced 2nd tifdme round by drip. Hospital were happy to try this but nothing else as fears of rupturing scar and luckily it worked!

If you want to be induced and there is not a strong medical reason against it stick to your guns. It worked for me and I am really pleased that I held out.

CarolinaMoon Sun 22-May-05 16:11:39

yeahbut, there is also a bit more info here

that site points out that the 'ruptures' in the stats are often v minor ones - catastrophic ruptures are thankfully v rare and sadly often the result of neglect/mismanagement.

pupuce Sun 22-May-05 16:17:50

That's right Caroline

YeahBut Mon 23-May-05 12:40:38

Thank you all for your help with this. I just wanted to be armed with all the relevant info if we decide to go for number 3. Both previous births were horrible, traumatic affairs because of the inductions, the second one ending up in a c-section. If I get pregnant again, I want to be able to say that, although I'd rather have a vaginal delivery, I don't want to be induced and am prepared to have a section instead. Is that reasonable?

giraffeski Mon 23-May-05 12:51:44

Message withdrawn

mears Mon 23-May-05 13:09:02

Yes that is reasonable YeahBut. Why were you induced before?

Ellbell Mon 23-May-05 13:28:45

Totally reasonable, Yeahbut. That is exactly what I asked for and had no problems getting consultant to agree to it.

nooka Mon 23-May-05 20:11:28

Very sensible Yehbut - wish I had gone with that - have to say, the consultant did suggest it as an option, but I was keen on doing "the real thing". Never again!

It's worth raising your concern early, so that you can talk about options. I was worried the other way around that they wouldn't let me go for a VBAC, but the hospital were great about the whole thing, and encouraged me to decide on options all along the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now