Talk

Advanced search

Planned CS - what is the deciding factor between an epidural and a spinal anaesthetic?

(20 Posts)
LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 13:50:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

meep Wed 15-Jul-09 13:52:20

I had thought that for an elective section you get a spinal as it is a "one off". An epidural is something they can top up which they don't need to do with a planned section.

Wheelybug Wed 15-Jul-09 13:53:03

what meep said.

meep Wed 15-Jul-09 14:00:40

phew - I always worry when I'm posting medical stuff that I am talking out my bum - hi wheely!

Wheelybug Wed 15-Jul-09 14:19:02

MAybe we both are wink.

When I had a sort of emergency with dd1 the anaesthetist put me off having an epidural during labour because I was likely to end up with c-sec and he said he'd rather do a spinal as better because it doesn't need topping off. With the sort of elective with dd2 I didn't have a choice and had a spinal.

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 14:20:02

Mumof4Monsters Wed 15-Jul-09 14:21:49

My friend had ecs due to breech birth with an epidural, i had same but with spinal. Heard the dr telling someone afterward that the spinal blocks all feeling where as with an epidural you might feel a pulling sensation (but no pain) when baby is born, which my friend did.

Wheelybug Wed 15-Jul-09 14:24:46

Leningrad - well that's what you've got to hope wink. Of course they do. They have exams and everything.

Mumof4Monsters - I felt a pulling sensation with a spinal. I dont' think the actual pain relief is any different just the way of administering it.

meep Wed 15-Jul-09 14:24:47

I could feel pulling with a spinal (dd2 - elective) and with an epidural (dd1 - emcs)! No pain with either thankfully grin!

smallorange Wed 15-Jul-09 14:25:01

spinals are great, they wear off more quickly which means you can get sodding catheter out

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 22:01:46

LovelyTinOfSpam Wed 15-Jul-09 22:28:27

Have got a different twist on this!

Had a elcs 2 weeks ago and they gave a spinal/epidural combo. Apparently it's so they have the quick acting and full effect of the spinal, along with being able to top up the epi if things take longer than expected or they want to give quick easy pain relief afterwards.

The whole procedure went like a dream and was easy peasy.

First time around I had a emcs with a spinal (they couldn't get the epi in for some reason) but this time they popped the spinal injection in in a minute and it was all fab.

Good luck lenin (I keep seeing you on CS / VBAC threads!)

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 22:54:16

LovelyTinOfSpam Thu 16-Jul-09 11:31:46

Menu style delivery? Sounds great!

I really hope that you get the birth you want lenin smile

LeninGrad Thu 16-Jul-09 11:56:00

champagneanddaisys Thu 16-Jul-09 16:48:54

Hiya dont wanna scare you or put you off but I had epi with dd and stopped working, so instead of topping it up as they had done before they said to swap to a spinal.

Had the spinal and the anasthethetic rose to high as they put to much in.
It was awful and ended up stopping my lungs working and so had to have a general and missed the whole thing. sad

I was told by the hospital that it hardly ever happens but since then Iv come across another lady at play group who its happened to aswell. (at a different hospital)

I realy wouldnd wish it on my worst enemy so msorry if im going on but just make sure you know your anethatist and you have talked through everything realy well before hand.

I would personly stick with the epi next time

MrsMattie Thu 16-Jul-09 21:38:45

I've had an emergency and an elective and had spinals with both - was never discussed and I didn't even know what the difference was.

poorbuthappy Thu 16-Jul-09 21:45:18

I had my epidural removed to have a spinal block put in when I ended up with emcs with twins.
I'd only had the epidual in for about 15 mins, so perhaps that's why, and I never thought to ask at time...wink

gasman Sun 02-Aug-09 11:01:26

Ok (probably a bit late for Lenin now).

spinal = local anaesthetic straight into CSF, works fast approx 5 mins,
choice for operations where there is no epidural in situ, or there is one in which isn't working properly/ the anaesthetist isn't confident in

epidural = local anaesthetic into epidural space via an epidural catheter
put in in labour and if working well can be topped up for LSCS /Forceps
very very rarely used for planned sections

CSE (=combo of the two)
used much more heavily in certain areas of the UK eg. London, than others, useful when anticipating complicated operations (eg 3rd section) or slow surgeos as you can 'top up' the epidural part if the woman develops pain during the op

Basically i'd trust your anaesthetist. We all have our own 'recipes' for anaesthetics and generally know what works in our own hands.

LeninGrad Sun 02-Aug-09 11:11:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now