Talk

Advanced search

Do they remove G&A and/or TENS for second stage/transition?

(32 Posts)
LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 10:08:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

readyfornumber2and3 Wed 15-Jul-09 10:14:55

They took the G&A off me when they wanted me to start pushing and I was mightily pissed off lol.

Luckily it only took 19 minutes so wasnt the end of the world lol

Its so you are fully aware of the contractions and fully aware of what they are telling you, its a shock initially but you soon get over it when the pushing starts lol

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 10:16:16

Message withdrawn

TrinityRhinoHasASillyStepson Wed 15-Jul-09 10:17:05

I've never had that happen to me (3 births) and I dont think it needs to either

ExpositionDesMains Wed 15-Jul-09 10:17:33

Yup took it off me, asked for it back, told NO. Pushed for 6hrs, no dd. They gave it back while we waited for an anaesthetist/surgeon. Worst 6hrs of my life. grin

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 10:20:39

MrsArchieTheInventor Wed 15-Jul-09 10:21:02

I used G&A right throughout labour and during the birth itself. When I started getting contractions (I was induced) I specifically asked the midwife if I could still use G&A when I was pushing and she said yes. I also had what I'd call 'aftershocks' - I was still getting contractions pains after DD and the placenta had been delivered - and I used G&A to manage these too, though the midwife joked I was still using the G&A because I liked it so much! (Partly true!) grin

ExpositionDesMains Wed 15-Jul-09 10:24:32

LeninGrad, sometimes your body can do it on its own. Obviously in my case with a lot of pushing she still didn't shift. And I was on all fours, squatting, kneeling, lying down, standing, leaning, sitting on the loo etc. Tried everything. Zero descent. DD did not want to come out.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 10:27:13

Message withdrawn

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 10:28:30

atalantis Wed 15-Jul-09 10:29:57

Didn't have G&A (no time) but did keep TENS on inadvertently throughout. An hour or two after birth, I couldn't figure out what the buzzing feeling was! Turned out to be TENS on at permanent full blast

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 10:30:15

Message withdrawn

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 10:33:15

ruddynorah Wed 15-Jul-09 10:35:22

i kept the g&a throughout.

ExpositionDesMains Wed 15-Jul-09 10:36:04

Starlight, I know, I'm not a good example as dd was never coming out the conventional route.

Have been a birth partner 6 times and in 4 of those cases the Mum wanted the baby to come naturally with no pushing. In 2 cases it worked. The other 2 breathed through the contractions and no baby after a couple of hours. Both women were very tired and asked to push. Both babies born within 15 minutes. The babies probably would have come eventually but both mothers couldn't continue with the intensity of contractions. Happily, in all cases the decisions rested with the mothers and this is as it should be.

I absolutely believe that pushing with no urge and pushing under direction are of no use in a normal labour. And having pushed for 6hrs with no urge at all know that it can do a lot of damage.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 10:39:52

Message withdrawn

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 10:43:49

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 10:49:53

Rosie55 Wed 15-Jul-09 10:53:57

I'm really interested in what you say, Exposition and Starlight. I was told to push when I had no urge, then was given a drip to stimulate contractions. When the contractions started I realised I'd been trying to push totally the wrong way. DD still didn't descend, though, as her head was at the wrong angle, and she was born by ventouse four hours after I was told to start pushing.

Btw, they 'suggested' I shouldn't use the g&a so that I could concentrate. To my mind, no amount of concentration is any good if your body isn't ready to push. But I didn't need the g&a when the contractions did start as it was a different kind of pain (did have a local for the ventouse though - very unpleasant in itself).

The midwives said I needed the drip because I was exhausted - had been in labour over 3 days as DD was back-to-back and she needed that time to turn round. But I can't help feeling that if I'd been allowed to rest, the contractions would have started on their own and DD's head might even have got in a better position. They were very concerned that I should reach particular stages in a certain amount of time. But maybe I was always going to need help and should think myself lucky it was speeded up.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 10:55:28

Message withdrawn

maxmissie Wed 15-Jul-09 11:02:02

I was told by my midwife that i couldn't have g and a when pushing as i wouldn't be able to concentrate and it would reduce the effectiveness of pushng. Nobody had mentioned this during antenatal nor was it in any of the stuff I read beforehand. I was definitely ready to push but was knackered after an hour or so and had to have ventouse for last couple of pushes. Have always wondered if had continued with g and a whilst pushing whether it would have been easier to do it.

Am now 39+4 wks pg and was hoping to only have g and a again although am not looking forward to pushing bit again. Am seeing midwife next week if baby hasn't arrived by then so am going to ask about having g and a during second phase - I assumed that it was standard practice not to have it but from previous posts it appears that's not the case.

am seeing midwife next week

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 11:16:15

Message withdrawn

LeninGrad Wed 15-Jul-09 11:34:10

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 15-Jul-09 11:51:23

Message withdrawn

Ladyem Wed 15-Jul-09 12:17:38

I used gas and air and tens machine right through labour, delivery and stitching up!! I only remembered to take the tens machine off when I was getting in the bath, I'd forgotten it was there!! Lol! I don't see any reason why they should take it off you when you are pushing and it was a god send when they were stitching me up. Make sure you tell them you WILL be keeping it!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now