Talk

Advanced search

New to Sevenoaks area. Which hospital to go for?

(9 Posts)
RNW Wed 15-Jul-09 10:08:05

Hello,
I recently moved to Sevenoaks and am currently pregnant with my second child. The hospital choices seem to be Pembury, Maidstone or the Princess Royal at Farnborough. I'm not sure which to go for, as the rating for all of them doesn't seem to be very good.
I had excellent care with my last child, at Epsom-lovely small wards and pleasant midwives. I would ideally like a similar set up again.
I spent a lot of time at the end of my last pregnancy in hospital with high blood pressure, and ended up with a c-section. I'm wondering whether any of these hospitals are any good at dealing with any issues that may arise, similar to this.
Anyway, your experiences, good, bad or indifferent would be much appreciated. smile

HolyGuacamole Thu 16-Jul-09 01:54:39

Bump.

skibelle Tue 21-Jul-09 13:03:03

I have also had the same hospitals to choose from. Have gone for Pembury. I've heard lots of positive stories (and a few horrors, but not as many as Farnborough). The building is old but care is great, so I hear. The new hospital building at Pembury is on track to be in use in 2011.

I was born at Pembury, so I guess I'm also choosing it for sentimental reasons. Sorry, this is my first so can't give you much help other than that!

Arcadie Tue 21-Jul-09 13:07:10

I come from Tonbridge and my Mum had my sister in Pembury and was really really pleased with the whole experience. ( This was, however, 24 years ago so I'm not sure if it's helpful) Pembury must be the closest out of the 3 you've suggested....

liahgen Tue 21-Jul-09 13:07:14

Hi, as a Doula I have supported at all of these hospitals and given birth in Maidstone more than once. At all of them, the midwifery care was excellent, postnatal care is another matter however with many units being very stretched and not that many Mw up to date with BF skills.

As for High risk, personally I have had first rate care with the FAU in Maidstone, unit mainly run by 2 lovely Mw who you get to know and they you.

Pembury has recently had a face life so has lots new equipment etc.

Hope this helps, you always have option of HB too you know.

abroadandmisunderstood Tue 21-Jul-09 13:12:46

<waves hello>

I was born in Pembury too!

Gleno Tue 21-Jul-09 16:25:00

Hi, I had my son at Pembury in December 2008 and I can only say the level of care there is absolutely superb. He was premature by 6.5 weeks and every single member of staff, be it in special care and on the wards were absolutely fab.

I done alot of research myself as I didn't know where to have my LO and after doing the tour of Maidstone I decided it wasn't for me. Maidstone is a very big hospital, Pembury alot smaller. The environment has alot to be desired for at Pembury (they are now building a new hospital) but the level of care throughout is wonderful. I can't rate them enough! I was in for 2 weeks in total, so saw alot of the hospital!

If you call the hospitals you can arrange a visit of the maternity wards. Pembury are in the evenings if I remember and Maidstone is the last Sunday of each month. It won't hurt to look at as many as you want!

Good luck and welcome to Sevenoaks!!! I wish you all the best. xx

hf128219 Tue 21-Jul-09 16:28:49

A friend of mine had a baby just last week at Pembury and couldn't praise it enough.

Loopymumsy Tue 21-Jul-09 17:43:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now