Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had accupuncture to induce labour?

(4 Posts)
massivebump Tue 14-Jul-09 18:25:36

Hi All

I'm 10 days od now and desperate as I'm absolutely not going to be induced medically! My local hosp is trying to force the issue even tho there are no medical indications why I would need to have a forced labour. Also, my cervix is now very favourable so things are def on the move. I know my rights and have put my foot down with hosp but it's stressful none the less.

Anyway, I didn't think I could afford accupuncture as a local m/w was wanting to charge me £40 which I knew was a rip off + no way I could afford it. Fortunately a few friends have put me in touch with another reputable chap who I can afford and I'm going tomorrow!

My questions are:

How effective was it for you (I've had several friends tell me about it and it worked for all of them, they went into labour that day or the next day).

And, where do they stick the needles? I've not got a phobia, I just like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance

blondissimo Tue 14-Jul-09 19:58:14

Not had acupuncture for labour, but have had for sinus probs and IBS and worked brilliantly for both, so I'd say you have a good chance of it working.
Once the needles are in you can't feel them so it will actually be relaxing.
Good luck and hope you have a lovely labour!

becktay Tue 14-Jul-09 20:16:14

Hi,
I had a few sessions of acupuncture with ds2 and the session I had the day I went into labour had me mildly contracting all day. The acupuncturist showed me a few points to twiddle with too and sure this helped as it sustained my braxton hicks IYSWIM. Was 12 days over so hard to say if I would have popped but if nothing else it was certainly relaxing.
Needles will depend on your circumstance but have to say they were all over. Legs, head, ears arms back but defo not belly! They're very gentle and are so fine they won't hurt.
I was dead lucky as my local hospital offers acupuncture for free - show that someone on the NHS believes it's beneficial. Can't recommend highly enough.
Good luck with your new baby smile

naturopath Tue 14-Jul-09 23:49:05

yes, had 3 sessions when overdue with ds1. Didn't work, although he did move a LOT during the sessions, so it was probably doing something right - just didn't bring on labour. As far as I can recall the needles were in ankles, feet, and some other places, but I can't remember where - hands I think. She put on some music and I closed my eyes, so I wasn't really particulalry aware of them going in. Was also v sympathetic - ie , if I felt something I didn't like she just didn't do that bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now