Talk

Advanced search

Natural C-section

(10 Posts)
lssb Tue 14-Jul-09 16:17:38

I'm 28 weeks pregant with third and after DS1 born by emergency c-section and DS2 by elective c-section I'm interested in the more natural c-section that has been pioneered recently and want to find out if anyone else has experience of it.

I'm due to give birth at Queen Charlotte and Chelsea Hospital in Hammersmith, London where apparently they've done this 'natural' c-section but the recent obstrician I saw knew nothing about this. I'm particularly interested as found with both DS1 and DS2 they were both freaked out for weeks after the birth which I think relates to being 'whipped' out really quickly without the adjustment / process of a vaginal birth.

PacificDogwood Tue 14-Jul-09 16:24:03

I have no personal experience (had "normal" emCS) but I thought this article was interesting.

Hopefully somebody will be along who can talk about it with more competence than I.

Whatever happens, good luck to you smile.

LeninGrad Tue 14-Jul-09 16:36:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

maygirl Wed 15-Jul-09 23:49:07

Prof Fisk has moved to Oz, but it's strange that obstetrician hadn't heard of it if they've done over 100 at Queen Charlottes. Maybe try and contact the senior midwife?
I saw this on TV and it looked lovely, made me cry (have had a EMCS).
They waited with just the baby's head out of the mum's tummy, and the uterus muscles contracted round the baby and you saw lots of fluid squeezed from the baby's lungs out through its nose and mouth, like after a vaginal birth. They said this helped prevent the usual post cs breathing difficulties.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 16-Jul-09 08:57:56

Message withdrawn

mamarug Fri 17-Jul-09 15:50:58

lssb, Prof Fisk delivered my ds using the technique described in The Times article. As maygirl says, he's moved back to Australia, but I'm sure some of the other consultants at Queen Charlotte's would be familiar with it. From memory, Mr Salesh Kumar worked closely with Prof Fisk, so perhaps worth trying to make contact with him.

I found the experience to be ok, but it was still very much a "surgical" delivery (although I have nothing to compare it to as I only have one DC). I did get skin to skin contact very soon after DS was delivered, which was lovely, and I also felt reassured that DS might be less likely to have respiratory difficulties given that he was able to take his first breaths while his lungs were still compressed. DS was a very unsettled baby, however, so not sure it guarantees a calmer or more contented LO! Happy to provide more details if you like. Good luck xx

lssb Mon 20-Jul-09 19:57:02

Thanks for the advice, I'll try Mr Kumar.

saintlydamemrsturnip Mon 20-Jul-09 20:01:10

Michel Odent in his book the cesaerian talks about an in-(natural) labour c-section. I had that as my 3rd section and it was by far the best for me and ds3 (ds1 failed induction where I was exhausted, ds2 elective c-section- he was not cooked).

Carrie06 Tue 21-Jul-09 07:01:29

hi, i had one of these at QC in march with ruwan wimalasundera. it was a good experience and got skin to skin contact with the baby within a minute of being born. i don't think the delivery was as slow as the article implied but it was lovely seeing ds being born. i was under consultant care so asked about it during pregnancy and consultant said that is the way he does all electives.

LeonieSoSleepy Tue 21-Jul-09 07:59:29

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now