Talk

Advanced search

40 +3 wks and cervix unfavourable

(16 Posts)
carbooty Mon 13-Jul-09 20:04:02

Hi,

I am now 40+3 today and had an appt with Obstetrician who examined me and told me my cervix is 3cm long and not showing signs of being ready.

I feel as if I am having deja vu as this is exactly what happened with my first. I ended up being induced at 14 days over, had a horrific traumatic painfull birth ending with being cut and baby dragged out with forceps after 23 hours.

I am petrified of going down the same route again. I know I have a little time for things to get going, but wanted to ask if anyone knows how long your cervix is before things get going? Has my body done anything at 3cm? If you have an induction first time, what are the stats that you will need it again?

I am really disappointed as I thought something had been happening

thisisyesterday Mon 13-Jul-09 20:15:44

carbooty, i am not a HP or anything, but ust from doing a whole lot of reading about stuff like this over the past few years I do think that some women just have longer pregnancies.

term is considered to be 37-42 weeks. so with your first you were really not even technically overdue.
i know it's only anecdotal but i have met a few people frm various online forums who have had 3 or more pregnancies all of which have been between 42-43 weeks long.

sometimes it's just the way your body works

Lulumama Mon 13-Jul-09 20:17:50

you are barely even past your estimtated due date!

not surprised you are looking unfavourable. especially as you went 2 weeks over last time

having said that , you are not technically late until 42 + 1

a lot can change in teh next 10 days . don;t worry about it now

MrsHappy Mon 13-Jul-09 20:22:43

I am not a HCP either but with my DD my cervix was tightly closed and going nowhere at 41 weeks. Spontaneous labour started just 4 days later.

I agree completely with TIY that some women/babies just take longer. 41 weeks is the minimum gestation in my family.

Even if you hit 42 weeks you do not have to be induced. There is no reason why you can't have monitoring and only go for induction if there is a medical reason - specific to you (rather than general policy)- for why you might need it.

I think maybe it is possible that there are some women who just don't labour spontaneously (my mother was induced every time) but I don't see why you couldn't take a "wait and see" approach to things rather than being induced on some arbitrary cut off date.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you.

blowninonabreeze Mon 13-Jul-09 20:23:48

I was induced at 40 + 9 days in my first pregnancy (was induced earlier than procedure due to suspected IUGR)
At the time of induction had a very unfavourable cervix etc etc etc

In pregnancy 2 got to 40 + 8, was convinced I couldn't go into labour naturally, sweep reveled unfavourable cervix, induction booked for 40 +12, became resigned to the fact that it'd happen again. All of a that evening it just started and lasted 4 hours start to finish NVD.

Honestly - it came from nowhere!

Pingpong Mon 13-Jul-09 20:29:34

oh carbooty you have my sympathy. I don't have any answers but going over is pants and some of the other replies aren't very sympathetic IMO.
My bestfriend pops them out at 37 weeks and my DD was born at 40+8 and I was going off my head. An extra month of pregnancy is a BIG THING!
I'm hoping that baby 2 doesn't keep me hanging around like baby 1.
Good luck smile

carbooty Mon 13-Jul-09 20:33:41

Thanks for your different comments. I think if nothing happens and I go two weeks over this time my DP and I would be happier to ask for monitoring rather than induction.
Obviously I realise this may not be necessary and hope for the best outcome!!

This is my last pregnancy and really wanted a nicer experience at home this time so will keep my fingers tightly crossed.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 13-Jul-09 20:37:18

DS1 - at 40 weeks my cervix was as good as clamped shut and I went into spontaneous labour at 40+8.

DS2 - my waters trickled at 40+2 with no contractions. MW examined me and cervix 'wasn't doing anything at all, it could be days'. DS2 was in my arms 4 hours later.

Stay positive. Don't give the Ob's comments any of your head space.

Relax, enjoy these last few days. Take the time to connect with your baby. Have a nice bath, keep the lights low, tell your baby you are ready when they are - if indeed you are. Is your bag packed? Is the nursery totally ready?

I know it's more than mind over matter, but I do believe being mentally ready is all part of it.

Good luck smile

massivebump Tue 14-Jul-09 17:08:18

I can really sympathise with you as I'm 10 days o/d now. I've never got this far before as ds was almost 4 weeks early & dd was 5 days o/d.

I had to see the cons this time, not a great appt! He was very clinical and adamant that I should have an induction. As I'd needed this with ds & it was v painful/stressful to say the least I decided I def didn't want one ever again. I was so stressed with dd as she was o/d and my poor m/w must've been so fed up with me saying I wasn't going to be induced. Anyway, there were no signs on the thur at my m/w appt (I'd have been 40+4), my cervix was softening but totally closed. That eve I went into labour, no signs of it at all happening, I just started having contractions, full on. 5.5hrs later after a wonderful home birth I was holding her in my arms.

I def think the key is to get relaxed & focused, really ready for baby and try to think lots about your new baby and meeting him or her. Walk lots if you can, if not then doing hip circles while sat on a birthing/yoga ball does wonders for bringing babies head down onto your cervix. Labour really can happen just like that, suddenly you'll be off, sometimes no warning at all. I've also just heard of a homeopathic remedy called caulophyllum, I had to order it direct from Ainsworths but it was here the next morning & I've been taking it all day. I woke up having the odd random contraction from 6.30am & have had them on & off all day, very random but def stronger & longer now. I've also heard that accupuncture is fantastic, several of my friends have had this when o/d and have gone into labour the same day or the next day. I'd def be doing that if I could afford it!

Good luck and I'm sure it'll happen for you soon. Also, it's very true what several people say on here, some people are just pg for longer and 42-43 weeks is the 'norm' for them to deliver. Cons cannot make you do anything you don't want and being monitored instead just puts their mind and yours at rest. I'm not looking forward to it but if it keeps the cons at bay I'm doing it

carbooty Thu 16-Jul-09 11:16:38

Hi everyone,

I thought I would just let you all know that after posting this thread Monday eve, my waters spontaneously popped Tuesday at 5:30 and I started contracting at 6pm and gave birth to my beautiful baby boy at 10pm. All a bit of a shock as I have convinced myself I was not having a baby this week, and everything just happened so quickly.

So my body did know what to do after all xx

CalypsoFlame Thu 16-Jul-09 13:14:41

Congratulations! x

massivebump Thu 16-Jul-09 13:48:31

I'm so pleased for you Carbooty. Congtatulations. Did you end up having him at home?

Well done and please send me some baby out vibes :-) Still waiting, going crazy, 12 days od now!

LuluMaman Thu 16-Jul-09 13:50:05

there you go !! just goes to show,

congratulations on the safe arrival of your little one x

Pingpong Thu 16-Jul-09 14:00:58

congrats carbooty!

MrsHappy Thu 16-Jul-09 20:21:38

Ah, brilliant. Well done!

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sat 18-Jul-09 13:15:25

Many many congratulations smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now