Talk

Advanced search

Contractions - what to expect?

(5 Posts)
SheWillBeLoved Mon 13-Jul-09 17:01:47

Can anyone describe contractions for someone who is having their first baby, and never really had braxton hicks except for the last day or so.

I've just been walking down my road after getting home from an afternoon walking around town, and suddenly I got this massive pain across my whole tummy and could barely walk. Had to slow right down and hold onto peoples walls at times! Lasted the whole way down the street and for a few minutes after I got through the door and collapsed onto the sofa.

This was almost an hour ago now, and nothing since besides a very tender tummy now and a couple of tightening feelings. I have no idea whether it was a bad braxton hick, a contraction, or I just twisted my tummy whilst walking..? Thinking it maybe wasn't a contraction as it lasted so long, but it got me thinking that I have no idea what to expect or look out for which is almost as terrifying as the amount of pain I'm facing grin

I'm due on the 18th by the way, but was due on the 11th from my dates.

fleacircus Mon 13-Jul-09 17:10:59

It could be Braxton Hicks, could've been a contraction, but you don't need to panic if they're not regular. I had a few contractions during the night 48 hours before DD was born, and again in the small hours of the next morning, and a few that afternoon in the bath. It was brilliant, by the time they started properly I was halfway there, I arrived at the hospital convinced I'd be sent straight home but was in fact already at 5cm. Good luck!

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Jul-09 17:12:22

Message withdrawn

fleacircus Mon 13-Jul-09 17:12:28

Sorry, that doesn't answer your question, problem is they're pretty indescribable. Kind of like period pains to the power of plenty, but in waves rather than constant.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 13-Jul-09 17:18:14

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now