Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a catheter with an epidural?

(31 Posts)
LeninGrad Sun 12-Jul-09 20:25:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chevre Sun 12-Jul-09 20:28:16

no, a catheter would not be terribly practical in the event of a vaginal birth, i am surmising.

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 20:28:40

You often do yes, as part of management of the bladder in labour.
So it is more for during rather than after, as they are often removed at the same time as the epidural catheter and when you have your wash and spruce up.

alicecrail Sun 12-Jul-09 20:28:57

I had an epidural about 12hrs before i ended up having a emcs and they put a catheter in just after the epidural had been set up. I'm sure of it, but now you have got me thinking, that perhaps they don't because it could get in the way. Sorry, not a great deal of help there am i? blush

oodlesofpoodles Sun 12-Jul-09 20:29:12

I didn't for my first but mw did insert a tube to drain the bladder before 2nd stage. I had a catheter for my second epidural/vaginal birth and my epidural/emcs.

bigchris Sun 12-Jul-09 20:29:36

yes I did but didnt feel it at all as was numb from the epidural

sunburntats Sun 12-Jul-09 20:29:49

No i dont think that you do as the epidural is only in and active for such a short length of time.

chevre Sun 12-Jul-09 20:30:02

really? i was only guessing but it must be bloody annoying. i had one for my section.

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 20:30:08

Having said that I didn't, as it was latter stages of labour. I couldn't pass urine though, so they did an in/out catheter every so often. I assumed you meant a catheter that stays in in your op.

oodlesofpoodles Sun 12-Jul-09 20:30:29

After my 2nd I forgot I had an epidural and stood up to go and pee (as instructed by mw) and I fell over blush.

chevre Sun 12-Jul-09 20:30:38

i am not helping am I? sorry

MrsHappy Sun 12-Jul-09 20:30:39

Not routinely.

I asked for a catheter because I couldn't pee after the epidural but often they just pop it in, drain the urine and take it out again.

Even if you did have a catheter they wouldn't need to leave it in for a period after the birth as they do with cs.

sunburntats Sun 12-Jul-09 20:31:24

makes sense treedelivery. But is it not an infection risk for such a short period?

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 20:32:00

Actually, now I plug my brain in - they are often taken out when pushing starts.

But yes, 1000's of possibilities. Hth.

LeninGrad Sun 12-Jul-09 20:32:59

MissisBoot Sun 12-Jul-09 20:33:44

I had a catheter put in at the same time as the epidural - I didn't know it wasn't standard practice.

Ended up having emcs so kept it in for a while after.

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 20:40:09

On infection risk - there is one with each cathter, so in someways a 'stay in' [foleys] is better longer term, say if an epi is sited early in a labour. However, I think in/outs are used in response to people not being overly keen on the idea of having them iyswim? Some units will have a guideline on bladder management with epi, some will have a person by person approach.

Either way, a bladder that is well managed in labour is so so so important. It can be a pita to have a balloon full of liquid right where you want a baby to decend, plus you risk stressing the bladder and perhaps contributing to stress incontinence.

Also with an epi there is a fluid infusion [a drip] and so you are nearly always going to be well hydrated and therefore make urine, unlike without an epi, where drinking is naturally limited by the...er...sensations of and coping with labour, plus you sweat mooing coping with the...er....sensations of labour. All adds up to less wee

TattyCatty Sun 12-Jul-09 20:40:15

I had one put in prior to my epidural as I was struggling to pass urine during active labour, and I definitely had one during the epidural, but couldn't honestly tell you if it was the same one all that time (epidural was put in some time after the initial catheter). It was completely painless going in (pre-epidural) and I was only aware of it post birth once the epidural wore off.

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 20:41:25

How far on are you now LenniGrad? I see you posting around and about so I guess you are approaching? Exciting smile

JodieO Sun 12-Jul-09 20:44:23

With ds2 (3rd baby) I felt like I needed a wee when I was pushing but he wasn't coming down so they put a catheter in but nothing was there. I had no epidural or anything and it just stung a bit on the way in and out, it was really fine. I gave birth about 10 mins later.

me23 Sun 12-Jul-09 20:51:27

A lot of places it is routine to put in a foleys catheter with an epidural as part of bladder care. As a lot of the time with an epidural it will take sensation away so you won't be able to wee or indeed stand to go to the toilet.

LeninGrad Sun 12-Jul-09 21:08:01

treedelivery Sun 12-Jul-09 21:31:07

Oh wow! Will be keeping an eye out for news......

littlelamb Sun 12-Jul-09 21:32:53

I didn't. I remember panicing when they told me they were going to put a cannula in though, as by that point my mnd was all over the place and I was very confused grin

CarGirl Sun 12-Jul-09 21:35:07

It became standard practice at my local hospital about 4 years ago. As I'd never had any problems peeing with an epidural with my first 3 epidurals I had plastered all over my notes that I refused a routine catheter with epidural. In the end I didn't need the epidural 4th time around!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now