Talk

Advanced search

Homebirth a possible but I was very loud when giving birth to dd...

(10 Posts)
laurawantsababy Sat 11-Jul-09 11:41:20

I had dd in a lovely hospital that is a 30 min drive from us. I hate our local hospital and dont want to have dc2 there.

Mw suggested a home birth which Im keen on. The problem is is that I was very very loud when giving birth to dd and worry about it this time round. Our house has very thin walls with 2 children next door!!

My problem is that if I choose a hospital birth at the last minute, ie in labour, it will have to be to nasty local hospital.

Any thoughts? How could I contain my screams??!!

kazbeth Sat 11-Jul-09 17:31:49

Well, I wasn't exactly quiet for mine. We also have a new build house with paper thin walls but my 2 year old (at the time) slept through the whole thing - even the midwives coming and going with equipment etc so you'd be suprised first of all how much people will sleep through and secondly maybe overestimate how much noise you actually make.

In terms of keeping the noise down .. I found the gas and air helped .. hard to make too much noise whilst concentrating on that.

Reallytired Sat 11-Jul-09 20:56:14

Don't worry about the neighbours. Its not as if you give birth everyday of the week. I am sure that your screaming would be no worst than DIY, barking dogs, noisey kids or loud music.

Anyway you probably won't feel half the pain being at home. I only screamed a bit during transition and then it was only a few minutes. I live in a tiny terrace house and neighbours didn't notice.

Or if you listen to natal hypnotheraphy CDs and practice breathing it will help you not to scream.

Loopymumsy Sat 11-Jul-09 21:02:49

Message withdrawn

mumtoted Sat 11-Jul-09 21:09:34

I live in a detached house & my first child was born at home. It was a hot night and the patio doors were open. My neighbours were very aware i was in labour. I was quite embarrased about it afterwards, but they weren't, they felt quite lucky to have been part of it!
My 2nd home birth was much quicker & i was much quieter!
Don't let it put you off, get a pool & enjoy the experience.
When are you due?

thisisyesterday Sat 11-Jul-09 21:12:22

i was very loud with ds1.

had homebirth with ds2 and just wasn;'t really that louid.

another homebirth with ds3 and didn;t make a noise!

Gemzooks Sat 11-Jul-09 23:54:01

I would rely on 2nd being quicker, I had homebirth, was only making proper noise for the last hour of the five hours of pain.. You can always yell into a pillow.

Also, it's a one-off, not like you'll be doing it every saturday night!

I would really recommend a pool, I had one and it was bloody great!

sweetkitty Sun 12-Jul-09 00:03:44

I've had 2 bomebirths and screamed the place down wih both, none of this going into yourself quiet ones for me. Luckily we live in a detached so no neighbours but last time both DD2 and 3 slept through everything and the time beofer DD1.

please don't worry about it don't contain your screams, some of us need to scream our babies out, your neighbours will understand

laurawantsababy Sun 12-Jul-09 10:05:28

Thanks all, you have made me feel better about it now. I think I will go for it!

tigerbump Mon 13-Jul-09 17:15:43

our nextdoor neighbour had a homebirth we were good neighbours so were excited for her. luckily it all kicked off started to really kick off late afternoon/early evening so we went out for dinner as we have paper thin walls for a terrace house. when we came back at 9pm ish she had had the baby and her son who was 4 at the time watched the whole thing couldn't wait to tell us all the gory details.

so in short just tell your neighbours and am sure they will understand... i presume you will also have other things on your mind at the time x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now