Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had a ventouse delivery without an epidural?

(25 Posts)
alittleteapot Fri 10-Jul-09 16:56:08

And if so how was it?

I had one with an epidural - partly because they were expecting to have to do an emegency c-section as my contractions had stopped. They didn't in the end but I did have an episiotomy and a tear.

Beginning to think about birth plans for next one and interested to know about ventouse without epidural.

SingleMum01 Fri 10-Jul-09 20:28:59

Yep I just had gas and air and a ventouse at 7 weeks premature. Haven't anything to compare it with as only have the 1 ds. Seemed okay, hurt of course, and teared, but nothing out of the ordinary.

MrsMcCluskey Fri 10-Jul-09 20:32:51

I had ventouse on gas and air as DS was stuck.
I was given a local anaesthetic for the episotomy. The injection hurt but the cut was painless.
Felt lots o tugging and pulling around down below, but to be honest was jsut a relief in the end.
DS was fine if a little pointy on the head!

herbietea Fri 10-Jul-09 20:33:21

Message withdrawn

norktasticninja Fri 10-Jul-09 20:37:38

I had a ventouse without an epidural when I had DD, they gave me a shot of local anesthetic though (I didn't have any other drugs in my system). It did hurt but it insertion of the suction cap was worse than the extraction off DD IMO. It was definitely do-able. Oh and I didn't have an episiotomy but I did tear a little - 'twas a very skilled doctor.

norktasticninja Fri 10-Jul-09 20:38:59

Ah, they don't use G&A here (the Netherlands).

bumpsoon Fri 10-Jul-09 20:45:16

I had one with DS ,had a episiotomy and it was fine though,the injection made me jump grin

MarthaFarquhar Fri 10-Jul-09 20:46:29

Yes. No local either, just gas and air.

it hurt.

MarthaFarquhar Fri 10-Jul-09 20:46:41

Yes. No local either, just gas and air.

it hurt.

SingingBear Fri 10-Jul-09 20:52:13

Message withdrawn

Mutt Fri 10-Jul-09 21:04:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lilymolly Fri 10-Jul-09 21:06:28

i have had one with and also without.

1st with an epidural and episiotomy, I felt nothing, during the birth, or after when they where stiching me up.

2nd with nothing but a local anaesthetic in perineum and also had an episiotomy.cant remember the pain of either the episiotomy or the ventous to be honest, just the pain of the contraction (which was hell on earth) grin

however, after even with a local, i felt the stiches pulling and was very on edge during the entire stiching up process.

Both times a ventouse and episiotomy where nessecery, becase both my babies had late heart decelerations and needed to be out of there.

TBH the second one with NO pain relief, was such agony with the contractions, they cut have cut open my tummy and got it out for all I cared at the time grin

if I had my time again (and I wont wink ), I would have an epidural, but my second labour was only an hour, so it was way to late for one.

purplejennyrose Fri 10-Jul-09 21:13:48

Yes - attempted ventouse with no pain relief at all - except a local injection for episiotomy. I'd been pushing for 3 hours and all I wanted was to get her out so in terms of pain it all sort of blended in although I do remember feeling that I was being pulled in half.

The doctor then threatened me with forceps and I pushed her out myself...

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 10-Jul-09 21:55:46

Yes, I had a ventouse with no epidural, (had gas and air and diamorphine though) as DD got stuck and would not get past a certain point on her own, blood pressure kept dropping so they had to intervene, I recall the initial seconds when the ventouse was put on as painful, but as I could not see what was going on, hard to say what was painful that or DD crowing grin, it lasted a matter of seconds and it seemed almost immediately afterwards that DD was born!

As someone else has already said, this was first DD so can't distinguish between pain of birth and pain of ventouse - I had to have an op afterwards for other reasons (not related at all to ventouse) and I was desperate for the catheta to come out. I said 'it is really really uncomfortable down below' and the midwife said 'that is not the catheta, that is because you have just given birth to a baby!' so as you can tell I associated much pain with things other than the fact I had a baby!

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 10-Jul-09 21:58:52

Oh and very very slight tear, which was irrelevant as I had an op after which means major stitches [blush[

hazeyjane Fri 10-Jul-09 22:05:28

I had ventouse with dd1, had gas and air, episiotomy, ventouse, which I'm afraid to say hurt like hell.

Had a 3rd degree tear.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Fri 10-Jul-09 22:14:30

How on earth do you all know what level tears you had? Do they tell you? I think I am glad I did not ask!

Dlamis Fri 10-Jul-09 22:15:26

I had gas and air only and ventouse with ds2. I had a local anaesthetic and episotomy. I felt the ventouse being applied and that hurt but didn't feel the cut. It also meant i didn't believe the midwife/dh when they told me the head had been delivered as i didn't feel the crowning which i had been dreading.

TotalChaos Fri 10-Jul-09 22:18:06

Had ventouse and episiotomy under a local anaesthetic. felt nothing at the time.

hazeyjane Fri 10-Jul-09 22:21:01

I think if it requires stitches in the perineum it is usually second degree, if you have to have stitching to perineum and anal muscle and it is done in theatre by a surgeon it is 3rd degree.

I only knew because I had to be whisked off to theatre after giving birth and have a spinal for a long session of stitching - I wish I had just had the epidural beforehand!

SingingBear Fri 10-Jul-09 22:28:07

Message withdrawn

LoveBeingAMummy Tue 14-Jul-09 10:12:45

Hi Yes I had one with a local, they took the G&A off me as felt it was stopping me from feeling the urge to push. I was too far gone for epidural when I arrived at the hospital so didn't have a choice.

I hadn't even started pushing when they decided to do this, 5 pushes and she was out. Doc said he only ended up guiding her head and so cone head either!

Ended up with a 2nd tear which he started to do without any more local shock

I have a very low pain tolerance, in fact DH admitted afterwards he had been worried about me giving birth as he thought I wouldn have trouble coping!

CatIsSleepy Tue 14-Jul-09 10:21:04

yes, with dd1
had been pushing for a couple of hours and her heartbeat was dropping in between contractions
was also on a hormone drip to strengthen contractions

tbh what with a great gang of people gathered around my nether regions and trying like buggery to push after 2 and a bit days of contractions i can honestly say i didn't even feel it grin

(oddly enough with my home birth and much shorter labour this time i was much more aware of the pain of dd2 crowning)

no tearing though...

naturopath Tue 14-Jul-09 23:52:04

had forceps (after failed ventouse) without epidural - was AWFUL - would never do that again.

elkiedee Wed 15-Jul-09 00:56:12

I didn't have an epidural when they used ventouse, not sure if I had a local anaesthetic by that point. I had a long long induced labour on gas and air and I was probably pretty zonked by that point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now