Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Advice on shifting DB's Position - PLEASE!

(14 Posts)
Expectantmum Wed 18-May-05 14:12:14

I am 35 wks pg and my bump is, and always has been, incredibly high. DB is lying in a very unusual position today, kicking both the very top and my right-hand side. Although it is very normal for DB to do this, so much so I usually get little red marks on my tummy where it keeps kicking the same place, my skin feels extremely tight and sore today, have tried a nice slow stroll around the office to see if DB will move, but can't seem to encourage it to shift from its current very uncomfortable position. This has been all day so far, have spent the day drinking ice-cold water to see if that helps but nothing. I feel like I just want to go home, completely strip naked (noth a pleasant thought) and lie completely flat on my back!! Any advice gratefully received?

Expectantmum Wed 18-May-05 14:13:44

I know I have put this in the wrong thread, probably should have gone under pregnancy, but have only just realised - apologies!!!

WigWamBam Wed 18-May-05 14:14:47

My midwife advised me to get up on all fours on the floor, lean slightly forward and slightly downwards, and rock gently backwards and forwards to try and get my dd to move when she did this. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't - but it has to be worth a try!

throckenholt Wed 18-May-05 14:17:22

the other postion that might help is leaning over a chair that is back to front. You need to get the wight of the baby forwards away from your back to give it space to turn over. Sitting back in a chair with your feet up is about the worst position (sorry!)

Expectantmum Wed 18-May-05 14:38:36

Can't really do that in the middle of my office, although could be amusing I guess. I'll definitely try that when I get home though.

throckenholt Wed 18-May-05 14:45:29

ok - well sit on the edge of your chair and let your bump hang forwards

LIZS Wed 18-May-05 14:45:41

Swimming or on all fours !

Expectantmum Wed 18-May-05 15:23:34

Throckenholt I might topple off!

Mirage Thu 19-May-05 06:35:37

DD was transverse for a long while & finally shifted after I spent several evenings on all fours (as described by WWB).

Good Luck

throckenholt Thu 19-May-05 07:50:45

I hope you didn't fall off your chair, and spent your evening on your hands and knees (scrubbing the floor - might as well if you are down there already ), getting that baby into a better position

Expectantmum Thu 19-May-05 08:41:21

Thanks Throckenholt, crawled around the floor for about half an hour, and DB eventually moved, which was a massive relief, especially for my ribs!!!

throckenholt Thu 19-May-05 08:45:32

glad you feel more comfortable now. How much longer do you have at work ?

Expectantmum Thu 19-May-05 08:48:54

Two more weeks!!!!!!!! I am lucky though because apart from an hours commute into London, my job is really very easy and not stressful at all, so am happy to keep going as long as possible, I'm not one of these people who can sit around for very long if I were at home. That should give me three weeks rest before my due date - hopefully ! Mind you, after today am off til next Wednesday and then with the Bank Holiday the following week, that'll be another short week, so it shouldn't be too bad really.

pooka Thu 19-May-05 18:04:29

Another thing I found worked was to get a can of ice cold drink/frozen peas and put it on the bit you want it to move! Worked for me!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: