Talk

Advanced search

Sweep kicking things off - did it happen for you?

(11 Posts)
thelollipoplady Wed 08-Jul-09 20:12:16

40+1 - had a sweep this am from the heaviest-handed doctor ever. He said cervix 2cm already. Was already losing plug, and since the sweep have gone through two pads with blood-stained gore and fluid (sorry tmi). Don't think it's waters.

Had contractions straight afterwards, but they died down after an hour or so.

Any experience of when contractions might begin properly - and how I can encourage things along?

Phoenix Wed 08-Jul-09 20:53:34

I think it worked for me. Lost plug soon after, had contractions that did wear off in the early hours of the morning but they came back stronger the next day and stayed and ds was born the day after.

Good luck

Clure Wed 08-Jul-09 21:18:59

I had a sweep, was already 2-3cm, had a show afterwards but that was it. Still had to be induced a week later!

cakefaced Wed 08-Jul-09 21:32:52

I had a sweep but nothing happened and I ended up with an elective C-section. But I never had a contraction and had an unfavourable cervix at the time.

Good luck! Hope things move for you.

AnathemaDevice Thu 09-Jul-09 08:49:45

I had 2 sweeps but neither of them worked, even though I was 2cm dialated. Eventually went in labour at 40+13, with the threat of induction hanging over me. (I think the thought of being artificially induced helped bring on labour more than any other induction method!)
I didn't have a show after either of mine though, so you might have more luck than me. Hope it all goes well for you.

ilovesprouts Thu 09-Jul-09 09:01:08

did not work for me ,i had two enderd up having cs grin

expatinscotland Thu 09-Jul-09 09:04:13

worked for me! was 40 weeks to the day, but blood pressure a tad high. Barely felt it, brilliant midwife.

Had sweep at noon, labour began around 6PM, DS born at 4AM the following day.

Saxonne Thu 09-Jul-09 09:56:35

Worked for me too at 40+3. Had sweep in the morning, which caused the show straight after, contractions came on mildly about 5:00pm, went to hospital when they got stronger at 7:30pm (it was a thursday and I missed Eastenders but couldn't wait any longer!) DD born at 5:46 AM on the friday.

massivebump Thu 16-Jul-09 14:12:13

I've had 3 sweeps now. Very similar after symptoms too you with the first (last fri), everything died down by late eve, 2nd was the sun afternoon, nothing happened at all aft that. Then the 3rd was on the monday at cons appt, each time cervix was a little more favourable but we're now almost a week down the line and nothing's happening.

I had a show naturally the night before the first sweep and with each sweep there was more 'show'. Like you, but with the 3rd sweep, I had loads of bloody yucky stuff but fortunatley 2 days later that's gone. It is normal though apparently.

I keep getting the odd contraction but they never carry on, so bloomin frustrating. Only advice I've been given is to keep active/upright to keep baby's head down & encourage it to go lower (currently 3/5 engaged), birthing ball is comfy for this too.

Good luck to you.

Kizzipoppet Sun 19-Jul-09 04:12:38

worked for me...! the MW said my cervix was 'ripe' and would more than likely work. Show popped out 20 hours later, then labour pains started 24 hours later, baby born day after at 40+5 I did go for a massive long walk the day after the S&Sw which I think helped things along. Or was it the curry / pineapple?!

Deemented Sun 19-Jul-09 08:32:52

I had a sweep at 4.30pm, and contractions started every three mins by 5.30. DD was born at 12.55am the next morning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now