Talk

Advanced search

How long was your second stage in first and subsequent labours?

(49 Posts)
alittleteapot Wed 08-Jul-09 13:38:55

My first was three hours and ended with ventouse delivery. All fine but bladder a bit f**d.

Bladder doc says mustn't push for more than an hour this time and to make sure head's really far down first.

I know second labours are generally faster but wondered about second stage specifically.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Wed 08-Jul-09 13:39:38

I pushed DD out in 20 minutes and DS2 in 7.

alittleteapot Wed 08-Jul-09 13:43:24

Blimey that is seriously impressive.

coffeechat Wed 08-Jul-09 18:15:53

I pushed for 2.5 hours with DS1 (strong epidural and couldnt really feel what I was doing) Pushed for 25 mins with DS2 (water birth, gas and air) Good luck!!

CarGirl Wed 08-Jul-09 18:17:34

Probably about 40 mins with dd1, about 5 with dd2 by dd4 8cm to delivered was 2 contractions

CarGirl Wed 08-Jul-09 18:18:05

Did you have an epidural 1st time around?

elliepac Wed 08-Jul-09 18:20:15

DS was difficult delivery full stop and I pushed for 3 hours and, like you ended up with ventouse. DD arrived after a mere 20 mins of pushing. Hopefully will be the same for you. Good Luck!

becaroo Wed 08-Jul-09 18:21:01

Not sure how long time wise I pushed for with each of mine, but it was basically the same for both...abut 6/7 pushes and out they came. Ds1 was 4lbs 15oz and ds2 was 8lbs 4oz, so big difference in weight, but not in 2nd stage time wise.

Ist stage was a total nightmare with ds2, though! shock Was in labour for 4 days and in the end they broke my waters and I went from 4 cms to delivered in 3 hours!!!! grin

alittleteapot Wed 08-Jul-09 18:36:46

Ooh elliepac I hope I'm like you this time! smile

CarGirl, no didn't have an epidural until the ventouse came out. To be honest I just found pushing really really hard.

Has anyone got any pushing tips? I found I didn't really know what to do... I know that sounds a bit stupid. Maybe I was just too tired.

Loopymumsy Wed 08-Jul-09 20:48:32

Message withdrawn

alittleteapot Wed 08-Jul-09 20:58:36

Loopymumsy I did an Active Birth antenatal course that described births like that. Where you essentially just "breathe the baby out." After my last birth I thought that must be rubbish but good to hear they really exist, esp after a difficult first one.

What do you mean by ineffective pushing and poor positioning? I'd done all the yoga stuff but maybe I was just doing it wrong...

ladyhelen2 Wed 08-Jul-09 20:58:50

First time I was pushing for about 2 hours - had an epidural and it was wearing off but could still feel when to push and it ended up with DS being delivered with a ventouse.

Second time, just gas and air and went from 1-2cm to fully dilated in 2 hours. Then pushed for about an hour ( felt like a LOT more than that!). But......ended up with a third degree tear - on the up side though this was only 9 weeks ago and everything seems to be ship shape again now.

Good luck! No tips though.Just that your body will just know what to do.

ladyhelen2 Wed 08-Jul-09 21:02:00

Oh just thought of something that really helped me but I suspect everyone is different and what worked for me may not work for others. I was kneeling for most of second stage having been active and walking for most of the first stage. I thought the gravity would assist. However it was only when I was on my back with my knee by my ears that DS2 came out.

Loopymumsy Wed 08-Jul-09 21:15:09

Message withdrawn

Rosebud05 Wed 08-Jul-09 22:01:30

DD was 2 hours as she had the cord around her neck and descended very slowly. Felt like I'd ran a marathon afterwards. DS was recorded as 6 minutes, for 3 of which I was trying not to push as the midwives were panicking about getting their gloves on. I didn't actually realise he'd been born and didn't know why the midwife told me to turn round until I did and there he was....
So, likely to be quicker in subsequent deliveries, but depends on size of baby, position, cord etc etc

CarGirl Wed 08-Jul-09 23:15:48

I'm back now, my subsequent babies did sort of birth themselves, my body just did it all for me!

I really recommend birthing on all fours, gravity def helps!

Greatfun Wed 08-Jul-09 23:17:50

First was 40 minutes (10 hour for overall) and second was less than 5 mins (labour 2 hours) I don't think I pushed more than once. He sort of fell out blush

Bucket anyone?

ShowOfHands Wed 08-Jul-09 23:22:15

I pushed for 6 hours with dd. Tore a muscle, burst several blood vessels.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever again.

Didn't work. 1 episiotomy, 3 failed ventouse attempts, 1 failed manual rotation and an em cs later I had a baby.

I repeat.

Never, ever, ever again.

flowerbunny Wed 08-Jul-09 23:38:56

I pushed for 4 hours and 5 minutes and felt every second!! Ended up with a spinal block (were going to do an emergency c-section) but instead got DD out with forceps. Ended up with fistulas between every orifice(!) and a bowel resection. DS born by planned c-section (and very lucky to have even been contemplated!!)

becaroo Thu 09-Jul-09 09:18:42

re; pushing - def try to psuh either squatting or on all fours...I did with both of mine and VERY short 2nd stages both. GOod luck x

ShowOfHands Thu 09-Jul-09 09:51:40

I tried squatting, kneeling, all fours, lying on back, lying on side, leaning over bed, sitting on toilet, sitting on toilet backwards, standing, sitting on stairs, swinging from chandeliers. Okay the last one may be an exaggeration.

I was rubbish at giving birth.

StealthPolarBear Thu 09-Jul-09 09:54:00

2.5 hours, flat on my back.
As for DC#2 -I'll let you know in 10 weeks! But I hope it will be quicker and I plan to not be on my back this time.

NotSoRampantRabbit Thu 09-Jul-09 10:07:19

OP I felt like I didn't know what to do first time (2 hours pushing - barbaric pain).

Second time round (only 4 weeks ago) the urge to push was overwhelming and my body just did it for me. 15 mins pushing and one beautiful home waterbirthed dd arrived. Was a totally different experience. I actually enjoyed it.

PinkTulips Thu 09-Jul-09 10:09:27

dd - 20 mins

ds1 - 10 mins

ds2 - 2 pushes so not longer than 3 mins, the mw almost missed it grin

FrogmellaMoonbeam Thu 09-Jul-09 10:10:30

With DS I had G+A in the pool and was pushing for approx 20mins most of which I wasnt pushing correctly once I was told exactly what I should be doing he flew out with the next push resulting in a 3rd degree tear and having to self catheterise for 5 weeks. With DD I was propped up in bed with epidural and G+A (induction so was v painful and couldnt go in the pool!sad)second stage was recorded as 7 mins and had a slight tear but didnt need any stitching and didnt need any catheterising.

xXx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now