Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bruising as opposed to tearing

(47 Posts)
rubles Tue 17-May-05 20:43:32

I am just interested to find out, because it is something that I have never heard mentioned, whether anyone out there has been like me and bruised VERY badly but only had a minor tear. Prior to my dd's birth I had been concerned about tearing but I never gave a second thought to bruising. (My midwife said I was absolutely black and blue 'down there' after my dds birth.) As a result of it I suffered in the same way that people with tears/episiotomies do. Or worse actually.

I'd like to know how common this is, and also if there is anything that I can do next time to try and avoid it....I think my second stage was about 1.5 hours, so I don't know if that was a factor...

Pruni Tue 17-May-05 20:46:19

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 17-May-05 20:49:54

The bruise thing surprised me too. My m/w told me first time round that I had a huge bruise extending across both inner thighs. I took her word for it-too terrified to look at,let alone touch any part of me between belly button and knees for weeks!

The constant dull ache was hard to bear. She told me to take arnica for it.

Had an episiotomy both times as well.

Bozza Tue 17-May-05 20:53:34

With DS had episiotomy and remember the midwife on a home visit a few days later saying that I was too badly bruised and swollen for her to be able to check my stitches. She couldn't actually see the stitches because of the swelling. And that is a constant ache that makes it hard to sit down.

Bruised with DD and had a graze but no stitches and the bruising was much less severe.

Lonelymum Tue 17-May-05 20:55:05

My first baby, I had an episiotomy and bruising that covered my entire bottom. It was the most spectacular bruising and so extensive; I will never forget seeing it for the first time. I was also recommended arnica, but I remember I couldn't sit comfortably for about a week. My parents bought me a rubber ring to sit on which was an improvement.

hellomama Tue 17-May-05 20:56:23

I had a second degree tear (fairly nasty) and i was bruised too. When I got home from the hospital and had my first bath - I looked down and my whole 'bits' were swollen and black and blue. I was really surprised. It took quite a while fo rthem to go back to normal colour!

Hausfrau Tue 17-May-05 20:56:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lonelymum Tue 17-May-05 20:59:08

Hausfrau, that reminds me: whilst I was still in hospital, the M/W gave me a sort of ice pack in a sausage shape to wear inside my pants. All I can say is, i found it rather disconcerting as it felt like I had a poo in my pants! I expect it helped with the swelling though.

Nemo1977 Tue 17-May-05 20:59:47

i bruised badly but took arnica tablets..worked a treat. I had a very quick labour and 9lb 1 baby so would rahter have bruised than torn..lol

Pruni Tue 17-May-05 21:00:19

Message withdrawn

rubles Tue 17-May-05 21:03:08

I never actually looked directly, but I could tell just from the general profile that it was swollen and that made me very squeamish.

The worst thing for me was that for about 8 to 10 days afterwards my toilet routine was a fairly elaborate process, and there was no question of just 'nipping to the loo'..I'd be gone for hours!

It seems from your comment Pruni that it is not necessarily related to size of baby/length of time pushing. I had wondered if next time maybe i should hold off on the pushing.

moondog Tue 17-May-05 21:03:48

..'general profile' lol!

Lonelymum Tue 17-May-05 21:06:59

Who else thinks that doing the first poo after giving birth is one of the hidden horrors never spoken of by women who have had children?

Pruni Tue 17-May-05 21:08:40

Message withdrawn

moondog Tue 17-May-05 21:09:29

lonelymum,us Celtic lovelies prefer to maintain an air of dignity and mystery....

but beJeezuz you are right!!!!!!!!

moondog Tue 17-May-05 21:10:41

Oh,never got all that pant/push/dont push/rest/breath stuff. As far as I can recall, I just thrashed like a trout.

Lonelymum Tue 17-May-05 21:11:04

Do we? I am a Celtic lovely too you know.

fastasleep Tue 17-May-05 21:12:03

Mine was absolutely disgusting looking and I thought something horrendous had happened! I tore a bit (probably because it was so quick) but I crossed my legs and refused to have stitches so endured weeks of stinging pain (duh!).... the bruising was really awful... I thought I'd never go back to normal! I cried when I went to the loo for about 3 weeks. No one mentioned bruising to me either, then again no one really mentioned tearing - I only read it in a book...

fastasleep Tue 17-May-05 21:13:21

I don't remember the poo because from about 3 months onwards I get the worst constipation ever....I think pooing was more like giving birth than actually giving birth was sometimes!!

Bozza Tue 17-May-05 21:13:24

Yes lonelymum. Was awful with DS and with DD it actually took me longer and caused more pain than it did to give birth. Obviously this is because I had an easy birth second time round. Also because it reactivated my piles it was actually more painful afterwards and harder to sit down.

moondog Tue 17-May-05 21:13:25

Well,you're letting the side down then, lm! <<<stern but sisterly and ever-so-slightly-patronising smile>>>

Lonelymum Tue 17-May-05 21:15:51

Oi MD don't patronise me!

I know all about the constipation too. I used to get off a session on the loo whenI was pg and say to dh "I have just had a practice at pushing the baby out!"

Sorry Moondog if this offends your sensibilities. Perhaps the Cornish Celtics are more earthy than their Welsh cousins!

fastasleep Tue 17-May-05 21:17:29

I remember my DH got very worried when I was on the loo for a total of 3 hours and I was panting and moaning and all that (he almost called the hospital till I told him to b*er off!)... and then I (oh the shaaaame) managed to block the loo!!

fastasleep Tue 17-May-05 21:19:38

(I'm not celtic I have no qualms when it comes to talking about my rear end and it's output!! )

fastasleep Tue 17-May-05 21:19:48

Can't type though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now